7/15 Games

GGajewski18

watched much of Giolito's start last night. Easy to see the potential....big frame, ideal pitchers body. Offspeed stuff is without a doubt major league quality. Command of the offspeed stuff will be paramount. Curveball has potential to be plus-plus. Really had a hard time throwing it for strikes though. Thats gonna be key. Can't just count on guys swinging at it in the dirt in the majors - they will adjust and lay off it. Was impressed with the movement of the changeup and slider as well - both can be above average pitches. But again, location hurt him . he left both pitches up in the zone too many times. Buried the nicely down and in to lefties a couple times. Fastball is relatively straight - tried to run a few back over the plate inside to lefties, but didnt get the tail some other guys get. Wonder if coop will work with him on a cutter just so guys don't sit dead straight

I know its silly , but James Shields is actually a good mentor for him. When he came over I thought Giolito would be a fastball first guy, but I think hes actually gonna be a guy who pitches off his offspeed stuff, much like shields did in his career with the changeup.

Edited by daa84