Melky thread

Jake

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Way, way better chance. JD Martinez was traded for squadoosh because there isn't a market for corner outfielders who don't play much defense. Best the Sox are really going to get for Melky is an organizational type player, and they'll still probably have to eat part or all of his contract.

I'd be very surprised, assuming he's on the Sox past July 31st (and there's still a good chance of that), if he is claimed on waivers. Very, very surprised.

Well yeah, if the Sox are going to send considerable money in the trade, that obviously changes the scenario.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
Well yeah, if the Sox are going to send considerable money in the trade, that obviously changes the scenario.

I think they will have to anyways. There is not much of a market for his services right now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
Way, way better chance. JD Martinez was traded for squadoosh because there isn't a market for corner outfielders who don't play much defense. Best the Sox are really going to get for Melky is an organizational type player, and they'll still probably have to eat part or all of his contract.

I'd be very surprised, assuming he's on the Sox past July 31st (and there's still a good chance of that), if he is claimed on waivers. Very, very surprised.

The JD Martinez trade wasn't THAT bad. People on this board keep acting like he was traded for literally nothing.

Dawel Lugo was 21 last year and hit .311/.339/.492 between High A and AA, plus was putting together another very respectable season this year before the trade. He'd probably rank close to our top 5 hitting prospects.

And Alcantara is 20 and supposed to be a wizard with the glove at SS and has shown at least the ability to make consistent contact.

Is that a haul? No. Is Melky worth as much as Martinez? Again, no. But that doesn't make Melky literally worthless. I think the Tigers traded Martinez too early and hurt their leverage as well. Not a whole lot left out there after Melky so there's definitely a possibility we can get some team to bite out of desperation. Not expecting a whole lot in return, but even a useable bullpen piece in 2 years would be a major plus.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
The JD Martinez trade wasn't THAT bad. People on this board keep acting like he was traded for literally nothing.

Dawel Lugo was 21 last year and hit .311/.339/.492 between High A and AA, plus was putting together another very respectable season this year before the trade. He'd probably rank close to our top 5 hitting prospects.

And Alcantara is 20 and supposed to be a wizard with the glove at SS and has shown at least the ability to make consistent contact.

Is that a haul? No. Is Melky worth as much as Martinez? Again, no. But that doesn't make Melky literally worthless. I think the Tigers traded Martinez too early and hurt their leverage as well. Not a whole lot left out there after Melky so there's definitely a possibility we can get some team to bite out of desperation. Not expecting a whole lot in return, but even a useable bullpen piece in 2 years would be a major plus.

Melky Cabrera can hit the baseball pretty well. He doesn't have a ton of power, he isn't fast, he doesn't play great defense, and he doesn't have much of an arm. He is a 1 WAR player, and there legitimately are not a lot of teams looking for an outfielder. Look at the outfields for contenders and find a spot for him where he is going to get significant playing time while representing a large upgrade. You really are not going to find it.

Melky Cabrera WILL have use for a contender as a situational bat off the bench where he gets 2-4 starts a week and can be used as a pinch hitter. He will not get the Sox much of a return.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
Melky Cabrera can hit the baseball pretty well. He doesn't have a ton of power, he isn't fast, he doesn't play great defense, and he doesn't have much of an arm. He is a 1 WAR player, and there legitimately are not a lot of teams looking for an outfielder. Look at the outfields for contenders and find a spot for him where he is going to get significant playing time while representing a large upgrade. You really are not going to find it.

Melky Cabrera WILL have use for a contender as a situational bat off the bench where he gets 2-4 starts a week and can be used as a pinch hitter. He will not get the Sox much of a return.

On what do you base your assertion that "Melky does not have much of an arm"?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
On what do you base your assertion that "Melky does not have much of an arm"?

I base it on the fact that he does not have much of an arm. He's not Juan Pierre or Khris Davis out in LF, but also doesn't fire 100 MPH bullets either. Even if he did have a 70 or 80 grade arm, how much would that really increase his value on the trade market?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
Melky has a fantastic arm. Maybe, MAYBE, it's a tick below elite velocity but that would be more than made up for with his throws' carry and accuracy.

Fantastic arm? It's solid at best, mediocre at worst, and it's offset mightily but how slow he is getting to the ball.

He's a 1 WAR player. He's going to get the Sox a C+ guy and a PTBNL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)

Both the rays and royals are AL playoff teams who could really use Melky. And if either the Pirates or Cardinals want to make a playoff run adding a bat like Melky's would seriously help their chances.

Not saying there are a ton of suitors or that the return will be great, but someone will give us a semi respectable prospect at some point between now and August.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
Rays and Royals are the teams that make the most sense to me, maybe the Pirates but not a whole lot of fits for Melky. The best case scenario (for the white sox) is someone's starting OF'er getting hurt between now and the waiver deadline. Really, the longer we have him and the more of his salary we pay the better the return will be.

would the Royals give Bubba Starling for Melky and Miguel? Starling is another first round pick thus far a bust. Melky is worthless to the Sox about now since I got reamed on here for suggesting we could sign him to a veteran minimum deal next year and I was told he's an eight-figure contract guy still. Miguel is worthless to the Sox, but on a whole different plane than those stiffs Shields and Holland. I'd take Bubba for Melky and Miguel. Why not?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:05 PM)
Kendricks to Nats for their 18th ranked prospect. Phils included cash also I believe

I'd be happy with a 21 year old lefty with a 3.01 ERA and 10K/9 for Melky. Kick in all the cash the other team needs too. Melky is going to get that $ from JR when way or another.

Royals need a bat and a better hitting shortstop. Melky and Saladino

would fit nicely. Have read they might want a starter as well. If Migo or

Holland were included and we ate the salaries, the Sox could get a very

solid prospect or two. Jorge Soler is raking at AAA.

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 09:18 PM)
Royals need a bat and a better hitting shortstop. Melky and Saladino

would fit nicely. Have read they might want a starter as well. If Migo or

Holland were included and we ate the salaries, the Sox could get a very

solid prospect or two. Jorge Soler is raking at AAA.

There's no way in hell Royals would put Saladino at short over Escobar. That's ridiculous.

There's no way in hell the Royals would start Migo or Holland. They are never that despearate.

Melky? Yeah they'd probably take him. I'd try to rob them and get the disappointing Starling. Trade Melky and Tito Polo for Starling.