MLB Pipeline Midseason Rankings

iamshack

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)

Jim Callis‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB 55s55 seconds ago

More

Jim Callis Retweeted Matt Knox

Burger closer to Top 10 3B than #Top100Prospects right now. Have him at No. 13 on stacked @WhiteSox list, only 8 Sox on Top 100.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
Does any of this discussion change anyone's expectations for the 2020 starting rotation and bullpen?

What is your best guess for the pitching staff, based upon the current talent in the organization?

My guess would be Rodon (unless he's traded), Kopeck, Lopez, Hansen and Cease. I don't know what to think of Giolito. Do you guys think that he'll make it?

Fulmer, Burdi and the rest of the top guys would battle for bullpen spots.

Right now, I'm envisioning the 2019 opening day rotation looking like this:

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Lopez

4. Giolito

5. Adams

I think Burdi, Fulmer, & Stephens will be in the bullpen along with Geurrero as the long man/spot-starter. I would expect Hansen & Dunning in AAA and pushing for rotation spots by June. Cease probably starts 2019 in AA unless they decide to fast track him as a reliever (which is where I think he ultimately ends up).

Edited by Chicago White Sox

There is a lot to like about Guerrero. I love his good control and changeup. There seems to be so much emphasis on velocity, but today's hitters seem quite capable of hitting 95 + MPH fastballs. That's not surprising, as they see so many high velocity pitches, especially in the last 3 innings. Lot's of bullpens have several guys who throw that hard.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
So it's just pretty much out there now Kopech is the best pitching prospect in the game at this point?

Personally, I think he's our 2nd best prospect (behind Yoan). I love Kopech though. Jimenez is also pretty damn elite. Only way I see Kopech not succeeding is due to health (certainly a real risk).

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
my take away was this

link

not that it matters per se but it'll be an interesting debate through the next three years as too how the Sox, Braves etc stack up as "best farm". I still find it funny that Hansen who was once a consideration for #1 overall isn't getting any love by pipeline esp when you consider how he has performed compared to the rest of the top arms from the '16 draft class, It'll come in time but whatever. As for Collins I understand why he isn't on the top 100, I highly doubt he starts the year at A+ and maybe next year the challenge faced at AA will force him to change his approach as pitchers there don't nibble as much as A+ and he won't be able to parlay his discipline with out focusing on contact in deeper counts.

It amazes me to look at that and basically see that they are saying that the Braves and White Sox have like twice as good of a system as the 3rd best team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)
It amazes me to look at that and basically see that they are saying that the Braves and White Sox have like twice as good of a system as the 3rd best team.

Agreed

I also find it interesting that Callis thinks the yankee system has the most depth, I personally don't see it(its still really good, but the most?). Additionally they're likely to lose 3-5 prospects in the rule V.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:34 PM)
Agreed

I also find it interesting that Callis thinks the yankee system has the most depth, I personally don't see it(its still really good, but the most?). Additionally they're likely to lose 3-5 prospects in the rule V.

As part of the rebuild, Sox will get first crack at Rule V players.

Agreed

Yankees won't be able to protect all of those guys, I'd expect the Sox to take a hard look at rule V to see what might be available.

Agreed

I can't believe the Yankees aren't looking to cash in on these guys in more depth for deals type of moves.

I'm not surprised. It's really hard for me to get a bearing on the 45 level prospects. That's where the depth comes in for Yankees/Padres. They have like 30-40 guys that could conceivably make a major league roster. Not long-term, not starter, but have a path to the majors. But when I look at other farm systems, it's hard to care about players that don't seem like they have more than a 20% likelihood of becoming a starter. But for pipeline, they are able to draw that line between major league tools/substandard player and non-prospect better than I can.

Clearly though the white sox non prospects are way worse than other teams non prospects as seen by our records in milb :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
I'm not surprised. It's really hard for me to get a bearing on the 45 level prospects. That's where the depth comes in for Yankees/Padres. They have like 30-40 guys that could conceivably make a major league roster. Not long-term, not starter, but have a path to the majors. But when I look at other farm systems, it's hard to care about players that don't seem like they have more than a 20% likelihood of becoming a starter. But for pipeline, they are able to draw that line between major league tools/substandard player and non-prospect better than I can.

Clearly though the white sox non prospects are way worse than other teams non prospects as seen by our records in milb :)

But if you can take one or two of those guys and turn them into players that can help you today, as opposed to losing them for nothing in a couple of months, why wouldn't you?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
But if you can take one or two of those guys and turn them into players that can help you today, as opposed to losing them for nothing in a couple of months, why wouldn't you?

I think they are trying to. Cashman historically waits until last day for his moves, but clear that OAK/CHW wanted to get out ahead of someone like Texas dumping anyone.

But they may get Gray for a package headlined by mateo (no idea how accurate that is), and a bunch of these guys.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
I think they are trying to. Cashman historically waits until last day for his moves, but clear that OAK/CHW wanted to get out ahead of someone like Texas dumping anyone.

But they may get Gray for a package headlined by mateo (no idea how accurate that is), and a bunch of these guys.

Yeah, my guess is Mateo and Florial is what Cashman may be offering for Gray/Alonso..but I don't think BB wants Mateo considering they have Barreto.