Dan Jennings Traded to TB for Casey Gillaspie

GGajewski18

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
Jennings wasn't great, but he was involved in so many games. If he didn't get in, he probably warmed up once or twice. Now Holmberg the only lefty. I still have tickets for 13 games. It's going to be very ugly.

Bummer!

https://www.draysbay.com/2017/7/25/16025448...017-top-10-list

8. Casey Gillaspie, 1B

Ok here’s the fire.

It has been a disastrous season for Gillaspie both stat-wise and in how evaluators view him. Scouts throughout the game have been searing in their reviews of Gillaspie, citing poor athleticism and no tool even average in their view. Gillaspie has not been able to prove otherwise, with his feel to hit and power production completely muzzled from both sides of the plate.

Hot take interpretation: Gillaspie is a first round draft pick, and was the best college hitter in his class. Now his story seems to be going the way of Richie Shaffer, who had the exact same backstory.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
Wow, is there a point where we say, "Enough is enough, we can let the big league team be TOO bad"?

We're giving up an average lefty reliever for someone that was a Top 100 a few months ago.

https://www.draysbay.com/2017/2/6/14463310/...n-first-basemen

#2: Casey Gillaspie | 24 - AAA | 6’4” 238 lbs

Twitter handle: @BigCaseDawg16 Signed for: $2,035,500

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 60 | Run: 20 | Arm: 40 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

2016 AA Stats: 85 G | 357 PA | 11 HR | 51 R | 16.2 BB% | 22.1 SO% | .387 wOBA% | 145 wRC+

2016 AAA Stats: 47 G | 203 PA | 7 HR | 27 R | 10.8 BB% | 18.7 SO% | .407 wOBA% | 163 wRC+

Finally on this list of 1B prospects we get to a hitter that managed double-digit HRs. If you’re looking for a hitter within the Rays organization that projects to play every day at first base and provide above-average power numbers, Gillaspie is the guy.

After all, when was the last time the Rays had a 1B who was graded at 60 for Power?

MORE AT LINK

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
He has hit depths that Davidson hit 2 years ago. Interesting acquisition for a guy like Jennings.

good analogy...and hopefully accurate. He's having a bad year...it happens. I still think a very very good move....

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
This feels analogous to getting someone like AJ Reed.

He has hit depths that Davidson hit 2 years ago. Interesting acquisition for a guy like Jennings.

I'll take the upside potential that Gillaspie bounces back. For a reliever like Jennings this is a nice move.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
The Rays must be really down on Gillaspie to give him up for Jennings, but I thought Jennings had little to no value anyway so this is still a nice get.

Yeah this is how I feel. The fall for Gillaspie clearly was a "reevaluate your priors" moment, so it's worth it to see if the recovery is miraculous but I'm not expecting much.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Wow, is there a point where we say, "Enough is enough, we can let the big league team be TOO bad"?

If this guy turns into a decent player, no. Jennings has 2 years of arb left, and won't be too expensive, but he serves no purpose if they aren't trying to win. He probably won't be worth more than he is now.

Next year they will probably suck worse than this, but they have to be careful because several of the better prospects will probably be on the team, and you don't want to bury them and their confidence.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)

I don't get the last few trades, especially the trading of Swarczak and Jennings, where nothing of use came back.

I wish the Sox did not trade Kahnle to the Yankees and instead packaged him with Swarzak and/or Jennings to get a better prospect, for example Brinson from the Brewers.

thanks you Andre Rienzo! great get by Hahn, blocked by Bauers and they've signed McKay. Could also make a long term commitment to LoMo in the off season. Great trade by Hahn.

9. Casey Gillaspie, 1B

Scouting Report

Those who are influenced by aesthetics {author sheepishly raises hand} may have a more difficult time evaluating Gillaspie, who had an effective season in 2016 at the upper levels (mostly as a 23-year old at Double-A) but has some mechanical idiosyncrasies. Gillaspie lacks bat speed and has shortened his load, especially as a right-handed hitter, since college, presumably as a way to artificially shorten his swing. While most hitters draw their hands back like the string of a bow before they fire back toward the ball, Gillaspie’s hands just kind of hang out in one spot before his back elbow drops and he drives his hands toward the ball from a basically idle position. He’s strong enough to make this work, though it limits his bat control and some scouts are concerned about his ability to catch velocity up in the zone this way.

There’s inarguable raw power and patience here, but questions remain about how much Gillaspie is going to hit. As a first-base-only prospect, that makes for a relatively unstable profile. He might require an adjustment at some point and, while Gillaspie is a below-average athlete, he’s already had to make some and shown that he can. He projects as a power/patience platoon option for me.

KATOH+ Projection for first six years: 3.8 WAR

link Mahalanobis Comp: Gaby Sanchez

previously showed up on KATOH+ & stats only 2017 top 100 at 51 link

Having a down year but a solid get for Jennings.

I think it was the fangraphs article that talked about how he got rid of his load to shorten his swing, which made his hands not back before the pitch which could potentially lead to problems. With the (relative) success of Adam Engel doing something similar with an unconvential swing, maybe the AAA guys can help correct Gillaspie because outside this year he seems like a good prospect.

I saw a ton of Gillaspie live in his draft year in the NYPL. Didn't understand the hype. Decent hitter, underpowered for a first baseman. Maybe he's developed since then, but the fact that they gave him up for Jennings makes me think they see him as the org guy that he looked like to me.

Always nice to get a prospect for a reliever though.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't get the last few trades, especially the trading of Swarczak and Jennings, where nothing of use came back.

I wish the Sox did not trade Kahnle to the Yankees and instead packaged him with Swarzak and/or Jennings to get a better prospect, for example Brinson from the Brewers.

White Sox would not get Brinson for Swarzak and Kahnle.

Probably would have had to trade Quintana or now trade Abreu before they would consider putting Brinson in a deal.

Gillaspies numbers this year are a puzzle. Struggles have been remarkably consistent. Not much variance month to month. A little bit of a home/road split, but not overly dramatic. No difference facing righties vs. lefties. BB% and K% not much different from career norms. It's like he has simply just been hitting the ball worse without actually swinging and missing or failing to draw walks.

Damn, this kid is not that far removed from being a pretty nice prospect with great numbers. This past year he has fallen off the map but bad years happen to good players all the time.

Nice little gamble Hahn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
If this guy turns into a decent player, no. Jennings has 2 years of arb left, and won't be too expensive, but he serves no purpose if they aren't trying to win. He probably won't be worth more than he is now.

Next year they will probably suck worse than this, but they have to be careful because several of the better prospects will probably be on the team, and you don't want to bury them and their confidence.

That is something I think about and wonder if it is real.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
It's strange seeing people excited over this kid and so down on Cordell. I personally view Cordell more favorably, but I wonder if people would have felt this kid was an appropriate return for Swarzak?

We could very well see both of these guys in the lineup on Opening Day. Gillaspie would have to earn a spot out of Spring Training however.