Dan Jennings Traded to TB for Casey Gillaspie

GGajewski18

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
It probably is what Jennings is worth, but no excitement whatsoever from me over him. Offensive struggles is something the White Sox haven't been able to fix in years. I don't know why it would start now. Given his defensive position, he is going to have to hit a lot to be a viable player. I don't see getting traded to the White Sox organization his big break.

By no means a star, but Davidson looked almost out of baseball after 2014 & 2015. Had a rebound in the minors in 2016 and hasn't been completely terrible by any means this year.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
I have to imagine Melky is the last piece that should be dealt. Everyone else seems off limits (perhaps Avi, but he is likely more useful to us currently).

Should be dealt? Holland, Shields, and MiGo should also be dealt. Whether they are or not is anyone's guess, personally I think only MiGo is dealt, but all three should go

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
Yeah but we also know that Fulmer could have 4 good starts and suddenly be looking like a real legit prospect again. A good couple months out of Gillaspie and the same is true.

Fulmer hasn't passed the eye test in a year plus and by all accounts it sounds like Gilaspie doesn't either. Things could absolutely change, but Sox don't have a great track-record fixing guys. By the way, I'm not knocking the trade, just saying their is a reason the #74 preseason prospect was traded for Jennings. We need to hope the Sox saw some sort of mechanical flaw in Gilaspie that they think they can fix.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
I have to imagine Melky is the last piece that should be dealt. Everyone else seems off limits (perhaps Avi, but he is likely more useful to us currently).

Gonzalez I think goes. Maybe Holland and/or Pelfrey for PTBNL or cash considerations.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
Should be dealt? Holland, Shields, and MiGo should also be dealt. Whether they are or not is anyone's guess, personally I think only MiGo is dealt, but all three should go

Do the Sox control Migo next year as well (via arbitration) or is he a free agent?

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
By no means a star, but Davidson looked almost out of baseball after 2014 & 2015. Had a rebound in the minors in 2016 and hasn't been completely terrible by any means this year.

Davidson reminds me of one of those platoon guys that you see on a good playoff team (not anyone's star, but someone who you take advantage of the splits / match-ups and provides value).

Pretty nice deal. By no means is it super exciting, but Gillaspie will be a nice DH/1B option for the next few years. A few short months ago, he was a pretty legit prospect. Seems like a good deal for the Sox. Obviously Jennings has a couple more years of control, but the chances of both him being effective and the Sox actually competing in 2019 are pretty low.

Nice move. He should slot in right around Cordell in the backend of the Sox top 20.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
Fulmer hasn't passed the eye test in a year plus and by all accounts it sounds like Gilaspie doesn't either. Things could absolutely change, but Sox don't have a great track-record fixing guys. By the way, I'm not knocking the trade, just saying their is a reason the #74 preseason prospect was traded for Jennings. We need to hope the Sox saw some sort of mechanical flaw in Gilaspie that they think they can fix.

Exactly. Not saying this is a bad return. Just meh on Gillaspie going forward, which is what I'd expect from a Jennings return.

And that's good. We'll be able to buy a jennings when we are good for our own version of a gillaspie.

I can't imagine us getting anything for Shields, that's why I don't think he *should* go. It's more of a... I don't think he can go.

MiGo is interesting, I can see him being another player dealt.

Derek Holland is another player that I can't imagine going.

I don't know why anyone would want Holland/Shields.

Melky is a legit help to a contender, MiGo might be, but Shields/Holland are damaging to contenders.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)

While we may not have a great record of fixing guys, we do have one advantage - playing time. We can take guys like this and say "Here's a season or two, and a thousand PA's, go see what you can do". No one will care if we lose games if he hits .200 next year and then snaps it together afterwards.

I got to say, as this team gets worse on a Major League level, my interest goes up... the rare moments of good baseball become so important, it is a thing of beauty! Young players, some journymen, looking to make it big on the big stage are giving every opportunity and it is fun watching them and also watching the team lose (tank to #1 baby).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Such a bummer he got hurt, he really has been a quality pitcher for the White Sox (outside of that stretch where he was pitching banged up this season).

I do know the Dodgers had a scout at his start vs. the Cubs on Monday when he was stellar specifically looking at him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
I do know the Dodgers had a scout at his start vs. the Cubs on Monday when he was stellar specifically looking at him.

That's great to hear, I've been thinking he's a perfect fit for their needs so at least they're thinking about it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

You can also add Pelfrey to the should go list, the problem is no one will want Holland, Pelfrey, or Shields. Miguel has a chance to go for something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
While we may not have a great record of fixing guys, we do have one advantage - playing time. We can take guys like this and say "Here's a season or two, and a thousand PA's, go see what you can do". No one will care if we lose games if he hits .200 next year and then snaps it together afterwards.

Absolutely. That's the beauty in a trade like this. Take a once highly valued player and give him every opportunity in the world to show why he was once valued.

I do agree with the other side of the conversation stating that the W'Sox don't have a good track record here.

Will see if that track record can change with the 'process' here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)

Completely agree with that. It is actually why I like what we did with Cordell and even Gillespie, since we should be able to get these guys at bats (I'd put Delmonico and obviously Davidson was a CY example (hell Avi was that this year too)) in that camp too. You never know who ends up sticking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)

There really isn't a downside to this deal. Jennings is worthless to the team, and will be gone long before we NEED him anyway. If Gillaspie comes back to form, we win. If not, oh well and move on to the next guy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
Completely agree with that. It is actually why I like what we did with Cordell and even Gillespie, since we should be able to get these guys at bats (I'd put Delmonico and obviously Davidson was a CY example (hell Avi was that this year too)) in that camp too. You never know who ends up sticking.

Hell, Swarzak and Kahnle were too :)