Teams with BA #1/2 prospect rankings not to make playoffs within 5 yea

caulfield12

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
The outlook for teams with a good farm is very good but the cubs were pretty much a best case outcome.

I mean the Royals just were in back to back World Series after having that top farm in 2011-2012.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
And that's where the problem arose. Now we just have to trust the same organization to rebuild. When these prospects hit the big league club, will they put the necessary pieces around them or will we be back to square one? Only time will tell.

I agree with this. The good thing is that the pendulum is moving again. At least we are not mired in the mediocrity of 75 win teams with absolutely no inertia towards anything different. We will suffer through some awful major league play but have the opportunity to watch it all get built from the ground up. There is risk but if it pays off the satisfaction at harvest time will be tremendous. Lets hope the organization will know how to work with the pieces, have a philosophy through all levels guiding it, and thus make the process sustainable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
I mean the Royals just were in back to back World Series after having that top farm in 2011-2012.

Those 2 straight #1 picks for the Nationals have worked out pretty darn well, even with no WS appearance yet.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
This is the quote, from Fan Graphs' Dave Cameron, that stands out to me: "For these deals to work out as well as the White Sox hope, their player development system is going to have to take some raw materials and turn them into polished big leaguers".

With this team's future completely invested in their farm system, if management doesn't make a concerted effort to put in place the right coaching staff, failing would be as much their responsibility, as it would be the failure of the prospects, themselves. I have no idea from where the help would come, or how feasible it is to acquire

competent coaches and instructors, but that should be the goal. The front office should certainly have sufficient financial resources to dedicate toward that goal, as the team's payroll projects to be as low it has been, in a long time.

Very, very, VERY true. You've got to be able to teach especially the fundamentals.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Caulfield isn't really doing anything wrong/negative. He posted a fangraph article that demonstrated the riskiness of the White Sox Farm system brilliantly. I suggest reading it before you guys gang up on his devils advocate opinion.

With that being said, the defence against the argument might be "all prospects are risky," and so, while the White Sox prospects are certainly risky, so are everybody elses.

Therefore, the negative tendency is likely best put to rest, otherwise we will eat our eyes out over the next two years with this. Better to be optimistic about the future.

My problem with Dave Cameron's article is that; what were the safe alternatives that were available? and further more how have those "safe" players performed? Benintendi is on pace for a 2WAR season and his defense is uninspiring and shows the bias that a lot of big clubs prospects get, he doesn't have a "cannon arm" and if he was in a lot of systems would likely get hit with the "tweener" label, wrongfully I might add but still. Meadows hasn't shown he can stay healthy yet or that he can master AAA in his second go around, Swanson just got sent down & Bregman is having a solid year. Benintendi & Bregman weren't available so again whats the take away?

I think Hahn and Hostetler have done a very good job blending high ceiling and moderate floor when it comes to both hitters & pitching (Moncada/Jimenez/Robert vs. Burger/Collins/Sheets) & (Kopech/Giolito/Lopez vs. Guerrero/Adams/Dunning). To take back the division the Sox are going to need a couple of the high ceiling prospects to hit and a few of the moderate floors to deliver as well. Between now and '20 the sox are going to have the ability to throw a lot of 40 & 45FV prospects against the wall and see what sticks and I have a creeping suspicion they will find a couple of serviceable big leaguers out of the mix and just like the cubs with Contreras the sox are going to likely need some rando come out of nowhere (Mendick, Zavala, etc) and what ever can't be converted from the farm can be bought in free agency or additional depth can be moved for what they need.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
And Detroit - 2003: 119 losses --> 2004: #2 pick Verlander --> 2006: World Series.

Verlander was huge but Detroit went to the WS because they signed Carlos Guillen, Maggs, and Pudge, while claiming Craig Monroe off waivers. Those guys collectively hit .300, with 84 HR's.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
Ok...I don't have any idea why that makes the Sox top farm system riskier then other teams top farm systems? I could go down the list with any organizations top prospects (including top 1/2) and do very similar assessments. Easy to do. No one knows. If anything, I would point out that the Sox are likely somewhat unique in how much of their farm system has been due to trades (vs. a true ability to draft and develop). So if you think of the Dodgers or Yankees, they built their farm systems from the ground up (largely).

The sox system is definitely on the riskier side. Any prospect is a risk but pitchers with command issues and hitters with contact issues are more risky. I think eloy is pretty low risk but many of the other top10 prospects are pretty risky, tools over performance.

The tools are off the chart though, if they are properly developed they could become really good.

Buddy Bell, once again....what has he done to distinguish himself since coming on board?

Other than pushing KW to give Mark Teahen a contract extension, after pushing hard for him to be acquired from the Royals (where he coached him). Great talent analysis, there.

The DBacks are likely to be in the playoffs somehow despite LaRussa and Stewart, someone over there must have done SOMETHING right.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
Buddy Bell, once again....what has he done to distinguish himself since coming on board?

Other than pushing KW to give Mark Teahen a contract extension, after pushing hard for him to be acquired from the Royals (where he coached him). Great talent analysis, there.

The DBacks are likely to be in the playoffs somehow despite LaRussa and Stewart, someone over there must have done SOMETHING right.

Seriously dude, you are the only one that ever brings up Teahen. Give it up who cares?