Attendance Thread II

caulfield12

Average for the season now 23,024.

Over 1 million with 36 home dates left.

27th in MLB, but within 1000-1200ish of Rust Belt enclaves Cleve, Cincy and Pittsburgh.

Last year's average was 21,828, for 26th...barely ahead of the Marlins.

Doubt we can maintain that from here on out...but would represent a 5.5% increase if they did.

Need 733,197 to exactly equal last year. That would be a 20,367 average, it's going to be close.

CLE and TOR 6

Hou and KC 6

Minn and Det 7

TB, Cleve and SF 10

KC and LAA 7

Bad break with Houston the only real interesting team remaining, lots of September games and SF Giants terrible.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:01 AM)
Who cares?

They're rebuilding and the World Champs are 8 miles away.

It's going to suck.

Are you contributing to the attendance this season?

Yes, I just went last Saturday but have to go back to China Sunday.

3 LF bleacher tickets x 29=$87

Parking=$20

Irish nachos, three Cokes, two corn dogs=$37

Lemonade=$7?

$151 total for family of three and 2 1/2 year old.

Plus MLB Gameday Audio, TV and MILB subscriptions.

Bought Extra Innings for family friend with Direct TV, $129.99

Happy?

The main point is the attendance has been much higher than almost everyone predicted...nobody was projecting increases, not that I ever noticed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Yes, I just went last Saturday but have to go back to China Sunday.

3 LF bleacher tickets x 29=$87

Parking=$20

Irish nachos, three Cokes, two corn dogs=$37

Lemonade=$7?

$151 total for family of three and 2 1/2 year old.

Plus MLB Gameday Audio, TV and MILB subscriptions.

Bought Extra Innings for family friend with Direct TV, $129.99

Happy?

The main point is the attendance has been much higher than almost everyone predicted...nobody was projecting increases, not that I ever noticed.

You should have told sox talk you were going. Surely somebody could have gotten you in cheaper than that? 151 bucks for a game. I guess the zoo is expensive now. That might have been similar costs. Movie woulda been much cheaper in the A/C.

Don't know what the aquarium costs now or the museums.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
You should have told sox talk you were going. Surely somebody could have gotten you in cheaper than that? 151 bucks for a game. I guess the zoo is expensive now. That might have been similar costs. Movie woulda been much cheaper in the A/C.

Don't know what the aquarium costs now or the museums.

The zoo is still free in Chicago.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Who cares?

They're rebuilding and the World Champs are 8 miles away.

It's going to suck.

Are you contributing to the attendance this season?

He's making like the exact opposite point of what you're yelling at him for.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
The zoo is still free in Chicago.

Free here in St. Louis too.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
I know next year will be tough but I enjoyed how attendance stayed up despite the rebuild. Sox fans did well.

It's been nice to see just cause of how so many people thought rebuilding was never realistic because attendance was going to completely tank. I definitely thought we'd see a decrease this year because of the casual fan just not caring at all but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
I liked to see it just cause of how so many people thought rebuilding was never realistic because attendance was going to completely tank. I definitely thought we'd see a decrease this year because of the casual fan just not caring at all but I've been pleasantly surprised.

I would think it would be more the die-hard fans that would be deterred. The casual fans would still go just to go out with friends and drink some beers.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
You can get into Guranteed Rate Park for $5-$7 dollar tickets now. These are corner upper deck tickets, but I imagine you can move to open spots closer. At least that's my plan.

You can, but anytime there is even a slight interest in the game those upper corner tickets "sell out" and you end up buying upper deck reserved for like $20.

I've been to 9 or 10 games this year and about half of them this has happened. (moncada first game, the sale/quintana game, the double header etc.)

Attendance at the stadium does not always indicate the size of the fan base or the interest level of fans. There are other factors impacting attendance. For example, Sox park is situated in an area which does not have much in the way of entertainment, shopping or commercial business. That has slowly been changing with the gentrification of the Bridgeport and Bronzeville neighborhoods, and with the progression of development down the Halsted street corridor.

Wrigley is just the opposite. Many fans are within walking distance or can access easily through pubic transit.

Another factor is how far portions of the Sox fan base lives from the park. The areas with the highest concentration of Sox fans are in the South, Southwest and far Southwest suburbs. For these fans, attending games is a planned event given the travel required.

It is what it is, but there is no sense obssessing over it, caulfield.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
He's making like the exact opposite point of what you're yelling at him for.

You're totally right.

Caulfield, I apologize.

I'm just tired of attendance threads and went off on you unnecessarily.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
I would think it would be more the die-hard fans that would be deterred. The casual fans would still go just to go out with friends and drink some beers.

This is fair. I know if I was still living in Chicago I'd go to a lot more games this year compared to the last few just to show my support for the direction but I'm obviously only one person.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
It's been nice to see just cause of how so many people thought rebuilding was never realistic because attendance was going to completely tank. I definitely thought we'd see a decrease this year because of the casual fan just not caring at all but I've been pleasantly surprised.

I will not re-up next season. I still have 12 games left. It's jsut a waste of time now. I'll come back when they come back. Especially last night with Cubs fans. This woman about 25 was making blood curdling screams about 3 rows behind me, for about 3 innings almost non stop. A guy with his son, Blue Jays fans, asked her very politely if she could tone it down. Of course not, she paid for those seats. Finally security arrived at first saying they really couldn't do anything since the most vulgar she was was Sox suck screaming at the top of her lungs, just to piss people off. Finally they spoke to a few people who apparently matched stories and went to see her. She starts crying, but at least shuts up. I may not like people cheering for the Cubs at GRF, but this was something beyond and it wasn't only once or twice. It was for like an hour, and security wasn't going to do anything. I was miffed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
This is fair. I know if I was still living in Chicago I'd go to a lot more games this year compared to the last few just to show my support for the direction but I'm obviously only one person.

I've been to 7 so I've been to a steady amount. Have fallen into free tickets to most of them though. Granted, for the ones I did pay for, I went the $7 route.

Edit: according to my sig, I've already been to the same amount of games as last season lol

Edited by soxfan2014

I am going tomorrow to see Moncada play and outside of my birthday and bachelor party, it will be the only games I attend this year. I see two tickets to tomorrow's game in section 103 (row 4) for $35 each and two in section 107 (row 9) for $32 each on StubHub. If anyone has better seats than that for $40 or so, please let me know.

I always buy discounted tickets as there's no reason to pay full price. StubHub and coupon codes off the White Sox website instantly make going to games more affordable. I'll be going to more next year when some more prospects will be up. I have a feeling when the kids are up in 2019 the season ticket holders will be back and the fans will follow suit.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
I am going tomorrow to see Moncada play and outside of my birthday and bachelor party, it will be the only games I attend this year. I see two tickets to tomorrow's game in section 103 (row 4) for $35 each and two in section 107 (row 9) for $32 each on StubHub. If anyone has better seats than that for $40 or so, please let me know.

I always buy discounted tickets as there's no reason to pay full price. StubHub and coupon codes off the White Sox website instantly make going to games more affordable. I'll be going to more next year when some more prospects will be up. I have a feeling when the kids are up in 2019 the season ticket holders will be back and the fans will follow suit.

I am not sure I agree. There will be fans who give up season tics who will find other avenues of entertainment and will not return. I had season tickets for AHL Hockey for 15 years and then gave up because minor league hockey dropped in talent and fan interest. I then had college basketball for 22 years but my team went through a drought. I dropped out and now they are a good team and attraction but I am content to watch games at home and only go on a very rare occasion.

What the White Sox have to hope for is that a young generation of fans start following them in order to gain favorable attendance in 2020 and beyond.

Another interesting piece of this, and almost more important is that TV ratings are down around 15% for this season.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...pointing-season

On the South Side, the White Sox continued their streak of attracting meager TV audiences.

Sox games on CSN are averaging a 0.8 rating this year—about 28,000 TV households—over 57 broadcasts, down 27 percent from last season's average at the All-Star break. The highest-rated game this season came May 30, when Chicago put starter Jose Quintana on the hill to face former White Sox ace Chris Sale and the Boston Red Sox, a game that posted a 2.0 average rating.

The drop-off is partly a product of a big bump in viewership at the beginning of last season, when the Sox got off to a 17-8 start before imploding.

The team is in the early stages of a roster rebuild, historically a drain on TV viewership. Many of the most exciting players in the Sox's system are playing minor league baseball, which is why CSN has been showing games of the Charlotte Knights, the Sox's Triple-A affiliate. The network announced this week that it will broadcast six more Knights games this season.

The White Sox could get a ratings boost from late-season call-ups if they choose to bring up top prospects like second baseman Yoan Moncada when MLB rosters expand in September.

If not, the Sox will find themselves with a sub-1.0 TV ratings for the third consecutive season.

Here are the final ratings for the Sox on CSN the past several seasons:

2011: 1.81

2012: 2.03

2013: 1.11

2014: 1.12

2015: 0.8

2016: 0.92

2017: 0.8 (through 57 broadcasts)

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
I just buy 4 upper reserve tickets for less than 30 bucks total. We then walk in to the stadium and go directly to the lower level third base side about 12 rows up. Security gives zero fuxx.

They used to, but security could care less now at an average game

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I just buy 4 upper reserve tickets for less than 30 bucks total. We then walk in to the stadium and go directly to the lower level third base side about 12 rows up. Security gives zero fuxx.

I remember a day in the early 60s at Wrigley where 5,000 was a large crowd for weekday game.

Anyway that was the first satellite in space able to transmit TV to Europe, it was called Telstar and about 10 minutes before the transmission PA announcer Pat Pieper asked all fans in the park to move down to the lower box seats so It would look like the place was full. Bleacher fans stayed put to go along with the prank.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
I remember a day in the early 60s at Wrigley where 5,000 was a large crowd for weekday game.

Anyway that was the first satellite in space able to transmit TV to Europe, it was called Telstar and about 10 minutes before the transmission PA announcer Pat Pieper asked all fans in the park to move down to the lower box seats so It would look like the place was full. Bleacher fans stayed put to go along with the prank.

Just last night I was going through some archived material (my summer project has been to organize all the stuff I have in printed form on the Sox in individual folders by season).

I came across the front page of the Chicago Tribune sports section from June 14, 1957 it was the day after the huge "base-brawl" between the Yankees and Sox at Comiskey that had racial overtones, went for :30 minutes and saw five players ejected.

Anyway on the bottom right side of the front page was a box with this headline: "Sox, Yanks draw 112,548...Giants, Cubs draw 8,518." Both teams had played a three game series.