7/30 Games

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
I am definitely more excited about the BB:K ratio than the batting average, it's pretty impressive for a high school kid who didn't play baseball full time. I honestly thought he would be putting up Keon Barnum numbers.

I expected him to get eaten alive by rookie ball pitching, it's really encouraging to see him holding his own so far.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:55 AM)
Umm.. is it too late to trade Fulmer for Glasnow straight up? ;)

Glasnow has actually shown quite a bit of improvement since getting sent down to AAA, cutting down his BB rate to 3.9 per 9. He was awful at the mlb level, as hitters would sit on his fastball because he couldn't get anything else over the plate.

Not an overly impressive start from Giolito yesterday at first glance (low K's) but still respectable for sure. Scranton got after him two starts ago and knocked him out in the second inning. Good to see he bounced back and went 7 against them yesterday.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
I know not many people agree but I'm still of the opinion that Hansen is our 2nd best pitching prospect even with just being in WS. Kid is a monster.

It's either him or Lopez. So I don't disagree.

I know not many people agree but I'm still of the opinion that Hansen is our 2nd best pitching prospect even with just being in WS. Kid is a monster.

Cheers to that. Nothing against Lopez/Giolito/Fulmer but Kopech/Hansen/Dunning are the pitchers I'm most excited about. Really like Clarkin alot too.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Cheers to that. Nothing against Lopez/Giolito/Fulmer but Kopech/Hansen/Dunning are the pitchers I'm most excited about. Really like Clarkin alot too.

Not talking smack, just curious how someone values Dunning over Lopez. Lopez has been fantastic at Charlotte, which is the best hitters park in the league. He also has plus stuff and is only 23 years old. I feel like he's constantly overlooked in the system, even being a top 50 prospect.

He's all of 9 months older than Hansen and 11 months older than Dunning. I think he will be a hell of a #2 to Kopech for years to come with the Sox.

I would say...

1. Kopech(easy)

2. Lopez

3. Hansen (slight)

4. Giolito (debatable, I'm in the Coop will fix em camp)

5. Cease

6. Dunning

7. Guerrero

8. Adams

37. Ballpark Vendor

55. Pat Daneker

79. Carson Fulmer

In all seriousness, it's an abundance of riches. Even Guerrero at #7 has a good shot as a #3/#4 rotation lefty.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
Not talking smack, just curious how someone values Dunning over Lopez. Lopez has been fantastic at Charlotte, which is the best hitters park in the league. He also has plus stuff and is only 23 years old. I feel like he's constantly overlooked in the system, even being a top 50 prospect.

He's all of 9 months older than Hansen and 11 months older than Dunning. I think he will be a hell of a #2 to Kopech for years to come with the Sox.

I would say...

1. Kopech(easy)

2. Lopez

3. Hansen (slight)

5. Cease

6. Dunning

7. Guerrero

8. Adams

37. Ballpark Vendor

55. Pat Daneker

79. Carson Fulmer

In all seriousness, it's an abundance of riches. Even Guerrero at #7 has a good shot as a #3/#4 rotation lefty.

That's how I view them as well, although I think Fulmer ends up being a quality late inning reliever, which has a lot of value too.

60 FV

Kopech

55 FV

Hansen

Lopez

Cease

50 FV

Giolito

Dunning

Burdi

45 FV

Guerrero

Stephens

Adams

Fulmer

Flores

Clarkin

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
That's how I view them as well, although I think Fulmer ends up being a quality late inning reliever, which has a lot of value too.

60 FV

Kopech

55 FV

Hansen

Lopez

Cease

50 FV

Giolito

Dunning

Burdi

45 FV

Guerrero

Stephens

Adams

Fulmer

Flores

Clarkin

Where's Puckett fit in here?

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)

60 FV

Kopech

55 FV

Hansen

Lopez

Cease

50 FV

Giolito

Dunning

Burdi

45 FV

Guerrero

Stephens

Adams

Fulmer

Flores

Clarkin

Only a 60 for Kopech? Isn't this out of 80?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Hansen striking out the world! Truly surprised he's not a higher ranked prospect

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)

I would say...

1. Kopech(easy)

2. Lopez

3. Hansen (slight)

5. Cease

6. Dunning

7. Guerrero

8. Adams

37. Ballpark Vendor

55. Pat Daneker

79. Carson Fulmer

Excellent point PHF. We're in love with college pitchers over a year removed from the draft who are pitching in A ball. I like seeing Hansen pitching well, but I'm hesitant to fully buy in on the college guys until they get to AA. Meanwhile you have similarly-aged Lopez doing well in AAA who has better stuff than Dunning and similar or perhaps better stuff than Hansen. Some might quibble with that last bit, but for all the love of Hansen's great stuff, I don't know that there's sufficient appreciation of how talented Lopez is. We've seen the regression of pure stuff with Giolito and Fulmer, but not so with Lopez and that's exciting.

It's obviously a fair point but not everyone has the same development timeline. I completely understand why people have Hansen ranked lower but with his stuff and the way he continues to grow and get better, imo he's our 2nd best pitching prospect.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
It's obviously a fair point but not everyone has the same development timeline. I completely understand why people have Hansen ranked lower but with his stuff and the way he continues to grow and get better, imo he's our 2nd best pitching prospect.

its a fair argument, but I can't argue with you over Duke/UNC anymore, so I have to start crap somewhere.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
its a fair argument, but I can't argue with you over Duke/UNC anymore, so I have to start crap somewhere.

lol works for me. It really is a fair point on Rey though as he just seems to be the forgotten man in general. Kopech is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball, everyone talks about Gio's struggles and his progress, Hansen and Dunning keep making huge strides and then there's Rey just still dominating in Charlotte and going to be the first one in Chicago out of all of them.

Edited by Rowand44

I feel like too many have held his college debacle against him. It has been a full year now of him pitching like a superstar. He has also managed to throw 163 IP during that time period so he won't be a guy you have to restrict if/when he gets to the majors.

So in that year

10-8, 2.15 ERA, 163 IP, 108 H, 58 BB, 219 K, 9 HR.

That translates to 12k/9, 3.2BB/9, 6H/9, and craziest of all a home run allowed every 18 IP or so.

I am in love with Hansen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
I feel like too many have held his college debacle against him. It has been a full year now of him pitching like a superstar. He has also managed to throw 163 IP during that time period so he won't be a guy you have to restrict if/when he gets to the majors.

So in that year

That translates to 12k/9, 3.2BB/9, 6H/9, and craziest of all a home run allowed every 18 IP or so.

Very much +1 to this.Hansen is legit and I think him and Kopech have all the talent needed to anchor our rotation for a long time with a very good Lopez behind them.

I would say...

1. Kopech(easy)

2. Lopez

3. Hansen (slight)

5. Cease

6. Dunning

7. Guerrero

8. Adams

37. Ballpark Vendor

55. Pat Daneker

79. Carson Fulmer

Great post but you're looking too far into mine. I wasn't speaking in terms of value, just giddiness from a fans perspective about Kopech/Hansen/Dunning.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
Very much +1 to this.Hansen is legit and I think him and Kopech have all the talent needed to anchor our rotation for a long time with a very good Lopez behind them.

I second that on Hansen. The Hansen were seeing now is the highly touted version before the 2016 college season began. There was hype about him being a potential 1-1 pick.

I would say...

1. Kopech(easy)

2. Lopez

3. Hansen (slight)

5. Cease

6. Dunning

7. Guerrero

8. Adams

37. Ballpark Vendor

55. Pat Daneker

79. Carson Fulmer

This is interesting. We just did top 30's for FS. I believe I went

Michael Kopech

Lucas Giolito

Reynaldo Lopez

Dylan Cease

Alec Hansen

Spencer Adams

Dane Dunning

Jordan Stephens

Carson Fulmer

Ian Clarkin

Jordan Guerrero

AJ Puckett

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)

So in that year

I couldn't justify putting him ahead of Giolito yet. Giolito is only 3 months older than Hansen and on the brink of pitching in the majors again. Hansen, while he's been awesome, was a college starter at a major program and is still in High A.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
This is interesting. We just did top 30's for FS. I believe I went

Michael Kopech

Lucas Giolito

Reynaldo Lopez

Dylan Cease

Alec Hansen

Spencer Adams

Dane Dunning

Jordan Stephens

Carson Fulmer

Ian Clarkin

Jordan Guerrero