2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)
I saw Hub on CSN yesterday, he has been to just about every Bears practice and said Trubisky is way better than he thought, BUT is not ready for regular season play. He thinks he is going to be really good. He said maybe in a blowout they could get him time, but says for now Sanchez is the #2. He expects him to be the emergency QB for at least 5 or 6 weeks, as the Bears first 4 opponents are really good, and maybe then get the job.

He was saying in the NFL, lame duck coaches are rare, so Fox is basically coaching for his job, and he's pretty much screwed, and he sees the only way he gets an extension is if the Bears make the playoffs, which is unlikely. Fox wants and needs the Bears to win more than just about anyone, so if MT isn't starting, he isn't ready.

I think this is a solidly .500 team this season.

The new rule allowing teams to carry 90 players up until this upcoming saturday is going to create quite a bloody cut down day. There is gonna be a lot of player movement next week with teams picking off the cutdown scrap heap

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
The new rule allowing teams to carry 90 players up until this upcoming saturday is going to create quite a bloody cut down day. There is gonna be a lot of player movement next week with teams picking off the cutdown scrap heap

I absolutely hate this new rule...and really see zero point to it. But then again I think there should only be 3 preseason games max also. Be interesting if there's any WR talent out there available that could help with Cam going down. The guy that's a complete headscratcher to me is Dorial Green Beckham. I remember a couple years ago I wanted the Bears to draft Danny Shelton and take Beckham in the 2nd. This kid has more physical talent than 90% of the WRs in the league...but has completely wasted it being an asshat. Kid could be an All-Pro if he'd get his head outta his ass. Not sure he's worth taking a chance on...but there's no denying his talent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 06:56 AM)
I saw Hub on CSN yesterday, he has been to just about every Bears practice and said Trubisky is way better than he thought, BUT is not ready for regular season play. He thinks he is going to be really good. He said maybe in a blowout they could get him time, but says for now Sanchez is the #2. He expects him to be the emergency QB for at least 5 or 6 weeks, as the Bears first 4 opponents are really good, and maybe then get the job.

He was saying in the NFL, lame duck coaches are rare, so Fox is basically coaching for his job, and he's pretty much screwed, and he sees the only way he gets an extension is if the Bears make the playoffs, which is unlikely. Fox wants and needs the Bears to win more than just about anyone, so if MT isn't starting, he isn't ready.

So then the Bears are going to carry 3 QBs? Not knocking Hub's opinion...but he's been known to be off before. A lot depends on where this team is at...and I think they'll be a lot better than given credit for if they stay healthy. If they're going to spoon feed Glennon...that could just as easily spoon feed a more athletic...more accurate...overall better QB like Trubs. I think the kid is mature enough to handle it. If Dak Prescott can do it in a pressure environment like Dallas....Trubs sure as hell can. Of course that's just my opinion. I do agree tho not to just throw him to the wolves the first 4 games...which will be tough ones...but I think the kid is more than capable of handling it. Protect your investment...I get it...that means Pace needs to look at ways of improving the Oline every season then too. WR, OT should be priorities next offseason IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
I think this is a solidly .500 team this season.

I don't believe that it is with their schedule and Mike Glennon at QB. Their defense is much improved but they won't be able to overcome subpar QB play

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Great news. I don't know if it's because he's from Illinois or ISU or because he seems like a good dude but I am really rooting for him.

Agreed...and by all accounts his teammates love him. ISU guy...went there to play QB from what I understand. I'm glad the kid got a shot last year and wish nothing but a speedy recovery. Losing him really hurt. Kevin White needs to put his big boy panties on this season...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
Good news for Meredith, he only tore his ACL and had minor damage to MCL, but everything else looks ok. Earliest recovery time is 8 months, he theoretically could be ready in time for OTAs

That's fantastic.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
I absolutely hate this new rule...and really see zero point to it. But then again I think there should only be 3 preseason games max also. Be interesting if there's any WR talent out there available that could help with Cam going down. The guy that's a complete headscratcher to me is Dorial Green Beckham. I remember a couple years ago I wanted the Bears to draft Danny Shelton and take Beckham in the 2nd. This kid has more physical talent than 90% of the WRs in the league...but has completely wasted it being an asshat. Kid could be an All-Pro if he'd get his head outta his ass. Not sure he's worth taking a chance on...but there's no denying his talent.

The problem was that teams don't really want to play anyone that is making their team in the 4th preseason game and with the roster at 75, there just aren't enough players. That's why they are doing it this way

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/29/chi...ic-expectations

Thought this was a really really good read. Agree with pretty much everything he says, with the obvious key how the QB position emerges, especially in the second half of the season. Highly possible we are going to get dug into a big hole with that start of the season, but if we could put on a strong finish, from Fox's perspective, it could be the way to save his job (and I don't think he's a bad coach and I like the idea of continuity and him staying around vs. restarting thing) while creating good positive momentum for 2018. Trubisky is key to all of this, but defense is so much better than a few years ago, albeit we still have a lack of playmakers in the secondary. To be honest, we are a developed QB, a wideout, and a strong DB from being what I'd call a damn good team. The QB is the hard piece, but we have a guy who could be that with time (he may not too...but we've at least invested in a guy who has a shot at doing that).

Knowing this is going to be a process and the start of the year might be rough (and I think we should all recognize that) but big picture, It has been a long time when I've been this excited looking forward as a Bear fan!!!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/29/chi...ic-expectations

Thought this was a really really good read. Agree with pretty much everything he says, with the obvious key how the QB position emerges, especially in the second half of the season. Highly possible we are going to get dug into a big hole with that start of the season, but if we could put on a strong finish, from Fox's perspective, it could be the way to save his job (and I don't think he's a bad coach and I like the idea of continuity and him staying around vs. restarting thing) while creating good positive momentum for 2018. Trubisky is key to all of this, but defense is so much better than a few years ago, albeit we still have a lack of playmakers in the secondary. To be honest, we are a developed QB, a wideout, and a strong DB from being what I'd call a damn good team. The QB is the hard piece, but we have a guy who could be that with time (he may not too...but we've at least invested in a guy who has a shot at doing that).

Knowing this is going to be a process and the start of the year might be rough (and I think we should all recognize that) but big picture, It has been a long time when I've been this excited looking forward as a Bear fan!!!

Good read..thanks! Wouldn't surprise me if the Bears are very active after cutdown day since I think there's going to be some pretty darn good talent being released. Wouldn't be surprised if they put up as many as 4 people honestly. WR and S/DB are almost givens....

I'm pretty happy with the directional arrow with this team...still a year away...but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
In case you were worried if Trubisky was able to hand the ball off...

I don't want him getting hurt either, but why did he even play? Just let Shaw play the whole game.

what a snoozefest turd that was tonight...couldn't even get 4 minutes into the second half.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 08:24 PM)
In case you were worried if Trubisky was able to hand the ball off...

I don't want him getting hurt either, but why did he even play? Just let Shaw play the whole game.

How was Trubisky in at the end the game AND allowed to get sacked?