2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 11:58 PM)
what a snoozefest turd that was tonight...couldn't even get 4 minutes into the second half.

True but I would MUCH rather have this preseason where the team looked good and competitive in games 1-3 and a stinker in 4 with none of the starters vs the last 2 years with terrible 1-3 games and a "redeeming" game 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/29/chi...ic-expectations

Thought this was a really really good read. Agree with pretty much everything he says, with the obvious key how the QB position emerges, especially in the second half of the season. Highly possible we are going to get dug into a big hole with that start of the season, but if we could put on a strong finish, from Fox's perspective, it could be the way to save his job (and I don't think he's a bad coach and I like the idea of continuity and him staying around vs. restarting thing) while creating good positive momentum for 2018. Trubisky is key to all of this, but defense is so much better than a few years ago, albeit we still have a lack of playmakers in the secondary. To be honest, we are a developed QB, a wideout, and a strong DB from being what I'd call a damn good team. The QB is the hard piece, but we have a guy who could be that with time (he may not too...but we've at least invested in a guy who has a shot at doing that).

Knowing this is going to be a process and the start of the year might be rough (and I think we should all recognize that) but big picture, It has been a long time when I've been this excited looking forward as a Bear fan!!!

Fox cant really buy another year can he? If he stays they have to give him an extension because I dont really see him going into a lame duck year. Its possible but not sure thats a good situation for either side.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 05:42 AM)
Shaw got injured. Twice. And Sanchez wasn't available as emergency QB I guess?

It is weird that they didnt play Sanchez at all? I presume they know he isn't very good, but you'd have thought you'd let him get some snaps since he has had pretty limited snaps in game action (during the preseason). I recognize he has plenty of NFL experience so that can be fine, but odd that the Bears let Trubisky drop back late in that game after Shaw was hurt twice.

At least it didn't seem like there were any serious injuries in the game (even though the game was an epic disaster). But if we were going to get crushed in a preseason game, let it be the 4th one, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
It is weird that they didnt play Sanchez at all? I presume they know he isn't very good, but you'd have thought you'd let him get some snaps since he has had pretty limited snaps in game action (during the preseason). I recognize he has plenty of NFL experience so that can be fine, but odd that the Bears let Trubisky drop back late in that game after Shaw was hurt twice.

At least it didn't seem like there were any serious injuries in the game (even though the game was an epic disaster). But if we were going to get crushed in a preseason game, let it be the 4th one, haha.

It's all moot but just annoying how they ran the ball 9 straight times to start the game then have Trubisky drop back a couple times at the end of 25-0 4th preseason game. wtf?

In case you are looking, SoCalSox (Aaron Leming)has made a constantly updated list of Bears cuts

https://twitter.com/aaronlemingnfl/status/903659966426300421

So far

1 DL Kapron Lewis-Moore

2 LB Alex Scearce

3 TE MyCole Pruitt

4 OL Cyril Richardson

5 OL Taylor Boggs

6 OL William Poehls

7 OL Mitchell Kirsh

8 LB Kelvin Sheppard

9 FB Freddie Stevenson

10 WR Victor Cruz

11 QB Connor Shaw (Injury Designation)

@cemma670

The Bears' claims are official on the NFL's waiver wire: long snapper Andrew DePaola, receiver Tre McBride and running back Taquan Mizzell.

@aaronlemingnfl

#Bears practice squad so far (4/10):

WR Tanner Gentry

S DeAndre Houston-Carson

OL Deiugot Joseph

DL Rashaad Coward.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 3, 2017 -> 07:57 AM)
The Bears are in the wrong era with that roster. Jesus. 5 TE, 4 RB. And a full back!

Headscratcher for me too. Only two things I can think of...either a. they were trying to work a trade for Miller. or b. They're going with 2 TE sets

for max protection so Glennon's stiff ass doesn't get killed back there.

Happy Gentry passed thru waivers...that one would have pissed me off bad!

A guy I'd have like to have seen claimed is Dorian Johnson from the Cardinals....

The Bears released RB Jeremy Langford, TE Ben Braunecker and LS Jeff Overbaugh to make room for the three players Chicago were awarded off waivers.

surprised about Langford. If Carey wouldn't have been injured I'd have thought he would get cut...but not once Carey went on IR.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
Bucs-Dolphins postponed to Week 11 due to Hurricane Irma. Obviously they couldn't play in Miami, but now both teams have to play 16 straight weeks without a bye. Player safety!!!

Absolutely brutal, especially for 2 playoff-aspirational teams

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
Absolutely brutal, especially for 2 playoff-aspirational teams

In Weeks 3-6, the Dolphins go from LA to New York to London then a home game in Miami with no break.

I think the best option would have been to play at a neutral site this weekend, but then the Dolphins would have six home games because of the London game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
In Weeks 3-6, the Dolphins go from LA to New York to London then a home game in Miami with no break.

I think the best option would have been to play at a neutral site this weekend, but then the Dolphins would have six home games because of the London game.

While that sucks (dolphins home games), maybe, just maybe this incredibly rich league could have created some sort of compensation scheme or create an insurance program so they don't need to compromise the product/health of players.

Maybe I haven't squared up with how little our WR and QB talent (with Glennon not Trubs tha God) will hurt our offense or schedule,

but I am heading into this season feeling pretty positive. I don't know. I just think we could really inflate our performance with power run offense plus TE pass game, and a top 10 defense.