2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
Things change quickly for teams every season. Especially if you have a competent quarterback. The Raiders went from straight up trash to pretty good while letting Derek Carr learn on the way

Derek carr played in 43 games in college with a pro style offense.

Trubiskey played 13 and didn't know how to take a snap from under center properly because of the spread offense he used in college. Big difference between the two players.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
Things change quickly for teams every season. Especially if you have a competent quarterback. The Raiders went from straight up trash to pretty good while letting Derek Carr learn on the way

Can the Bears protect Trubisky the way Carr was protected though? He was only sacked like 24 times his rookie year, and he almost attempted 600 passes. That's what I'd be concerned about. And as Dick mentioned too, he'll almost certainly have a new OC anyways, he's going to be in a similar spot anyways.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)

Trubiskey played 13 and didn't know how to take a snap from under center properly because of the spread offense he used in college. Big difference between the two players.

Just when I was thinking "at least the Trubiskey pick makes the bears potentially interesting at some point this year," you remind me of why I hated it back when it was made.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
3-13

7-9

12-4

Carr's first 3 years and the Raiders' record. I would think Trubisky is in a similar spot.

I totally agree. And I am not saying that Trubisky is going to make them into a playoff team this year. I just think Trubisky is the better quarterback and he will learn more playing than he will holding a clipboard

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)

I didn't say they were the same players, I said the Raiders let Carr learn the NFL from jump. That's what I want. I understand the offense wasn't the same in college but I also think Trubisky is able to process what he sees better than you think. Heck, Zack Miller said he was ready based on what he sees on practice. Multiple reports have come out saying that he is ready but the job was promised to Glennon. You don't agree, that's fine

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Can the Bears protect Trubisky the way Carr was protected though? He was only sacked like 24 times his rookie year, and he almost attempted 600 passes. That's what I'd be concerned about. And as Dick mentioned too, he'll almost certainly have a new OC anyways, he's going to be in a similar spot anyways.

Glennon was actually sacked only once yesterday. And in the first game, most of the game reviews I read put the sacks on Glennon locking on to receivers and not moving from a spot

I don't think Trubisky is gonna come in and turn the team into an instant contender, but I don't see what good there is in throwing Glennon out there to suck the same way he always has when Trubisky could be learning to be a better qb

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Just when I was thinking "at least the Trubiskey pick makes the bears potentially interesting at some point this year," you remind me of why I hated it back when it was made.

The good news is many of the "experts" who questioned the pick and have seen him practice and play, say he is much better than they thought. I just think the guy should be handled with kid gloves. He is their hope. If something happens and he doesn't work out, this mess is going to continue for a long time. Pace has set this up for it to be Fox's last season. It was going to take a miracle for them to be a playoff team. He didn't spend a whole lot of their cash. He didn't bring in many weapons. Assuming Fox is gone, the next coach is going to get all the gifts. Trubisky more ready, another high draft pick. And he will more likely than not, pick up some offensive weapons in free agency.

I recognize the "it can't be worse than now" rarely works out, but seriously. Glennon is strictly dumping the ball down to the runningback. Defenses will give that up all day.

Trubisky can do that, and get more reps at dropping back and calling mike.

Re sacks: frankly a ton of them have been due to Glennon not stepping up. Trubisky is much more mobile in pocket.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
I don't think Trubisky is gonna come in and turn the team into an instant contender, but I don't see what good there is in throwing Glennon out there to suck the same way he always has when Trubisky could be learning to be a better qb

That simple, if the Bears aren't a playoff team with Glennon at the helm then there is no reason he should be playing. Let Trubisky learn on the field.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)

FWIW Carr only spent his sophomore year in a pro-style offense. Tim DeRuyter was his next coach and he spent his last 2 years in the spread.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
I totally agree. And I am not saying that Trubisky is going to make them into a playoff team this year. I just think Trubisky is the better quarterback and he will learn more playing than he will holding a clipboard

I didn't say they were the same players, I said the Raiders let Carr learn the NFL from jump. That's what I want. I understand the offense wasn't the same in college but I also think Trubisky is able to process what he sees better than you think. Heck, Zack Miller said he was ready based on what he sees on practice. Multiple reports have come out saying that he is ready but the job was promised to Glennon. You don't agree, that's fine

Glennon was actually sacked only once yesterday. And in the first game, most of the game reviews I read put the sacks on Glennon locking on to receivers and not moving from a spot

I'm not in the film room. I have no idea what he sees and if he can process it fast enough. This is why i give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They will know when he is ready.

The reason the Raiders let him start right i away was he had a the proper experience in college to prepare to succeed at the NFL level. As my post said, trubiskey did not. It has nothing to do with them being the same player. It has everything to do with their preparation.

Serious question...where has this, Fox refuses to play rookies/young players sentiment come from? We have played massive amounts of young players in our time. Fox is a players coach though and he isn't going to roast a player in the public or say anything interesting during a press conference. Him saying "coach speak" consistently at press conferences and being a players coach because he won't massively throw guys under the bus is not a bad thing. He was not afraid to go to Tim Tebow when Orton wasn't actually all that bad in Denver.

And when he was in Carolina, it didn't take long until Delholmee became the QB (over the incumbent Rodney Peete). All Fox and Pace are doing is trying to make sure they don't go to Trubisky and make him worse by going to him too soon. We aren't contending so I really just don't care whether it is week 3 or week 6...I care about getting it right regarding when is the right time for Trubisky. If you go too soon, you can actually lock in bad habits and make the player worse vs. better.

Carolina went and signed Delhomme as soon as he became a free agent. He was a 5 year backup in New Orleans and took over for Peete who went 1-15 the season before. He put Tebow in after the Broncos were 1-3 and losing at halftime of the fifth game. Not really the same as refusing to play a rookie when the free agent pickup blows

I am not gonna continue to argue with everyone who feels it is rushing Trubisky. Players are all different and it very well could stunt Trubiskys development for all I know. The only thing I know for a fact is that Glennon is terrible and I look forward to the day when Mitch takes over

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Carolina went and signed Delhomme as soon as he became a free agent. He was a 5 year backup in New Orleans and took over for Peete who went 1-15 the season before. He put Tebow in after the Broncos were 1-3 and losing at halftime of the fifth game. Not really the same as refusing to play a rookie when the free agent pickup blows

I am not gonna continue to argue with everyone who feels it is rushing Trubisky. Players are all different and it very well could stunt Trubiskys development for all I know. The only thing I know for a fact is that Glennon is terrible and I look forward to the day when Mitch takes over

It will be on that Monday night in October when Trubisky takes over for good. He's the best QB on the team and while they aren't very good, it's really tough to evaluate other players with Glennon playing. The Bears will be 0-4 and Mitch can take his lumps on the field and learn there. He's getting a brand new coaching staff next year regardless. Most people just want to see him play and that likely includes the other guys on the team. Mike Glennon is a sunk cost at this point and really is irrelevant to the entire conversation.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
It will be on that Monday night in October when Trubisky takes over for good. He's the best QB on the team and while they aren't very good, it's really tough to evaluate other players with Glennon playing. The Bears will be 0-4 and Mitch can take his lumps on the field and learn there. He's getting a brand new coaching staff next year regardless. Most people just want to see him play and that likely includes the other guys on the team. Mike Glennon is a sunk cost at this point and really is irrelevant to the entire conversation.

This is the point all along. The Bears should not play Trubiskey because Glennon sucks or the team isn't playing well. Trubiskey should start when the coaching staff thinks he is ready. Doesn't matter if it's this week or next year. ALL decisions should be based on what benefits Trubiskey in the long term.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Tanner Gentry waived. Looks like Wheaton is coming back or the Bears have a problem with receivers who actually catch the ball.

He did have that bad penalty during the game. I'm sure he'll go to the practice squad.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
He had a penalty? I remember a bad drop, what was his penalty? False start?

Could be wrong but I though he had a late hit on a special teams play or a turn over. Maybe it was someone else.

It's disappointing that Josh Bellamy gets to drop multiple balls every game and keep a job when other WRs keep getting cut. I know he plays ST well, but he has actually had to play a lot of WR the last two seasons and it has not been pretty

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
It's disappointing that Josh Bellamy gets to drop multiple balls every game and keep a job when other WRs keep getting cut. I know he plays ST well, but he has actually had to play a lot of WR the last two seasons and it has not been pretty

I totally agree. At mimimum a professional football receiver should be able to catch a ball.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)

THIS!!! Very disappointed they let Gentry go again. Also disappointed the Bears passed on Jaelen Strong after the Texans cut him yesterday. He and O'Brien just never meshed from Day 1 for some reason. But tell ya what....and call me a homer...but Strong was one of the better receivers I'd seen in a while when at ASU. He caught everything thrown at him and had probably a "WOW" catch every game it seemed. Bears pass...Jacksonville snatched him up. But seriously...Bellamy...c'mon man?!?!??!

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
Who's coaching the Bears next year?

Jim Bob Cooter?

that's who my money'd be on. Not sure he'd be my first choice...but it makes all the sense in the world this front office would make a move like that. Me....meh. I still go hard after Harbaugh first...and go from there.