2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since Sunday’s blowout, Fox and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains each attributed part of quarterback Mitch Trubisky’s inaccuracy to sloppy route running.

“The thing that was most disappointing for me in the passing game is the uncontested, outside-the-number throws,” Loggains said. “To be completely honest, a lot of it wasn’t on him.

“When it’s the depth — when you’ve got to run a 10-yard route and you run it at 8, it’s going look bad. It’s going to look like the ball sprang and it’s inaccurate, but he was going to the right spot with the ball.”

Saw this quote in an article from Loggains. Makes you wonder how inaccurate Trubisky was (vs. just how bad / sloppy the wideouts were). Should be no shock that McBride is gone. I still think Mitch was inaccurate, but those are the things that are always hard to tell as a fan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
So let's play a game. The Bears next head coach will be:

David Shaw (is my pick).

This would be the most devastating pick of my life. I would be so upset.

I'll go with Jim Bob.

Edited by Da_Goob

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
This would be the most devastating pick of my life. I would be so upset.

I'll go with Jim Bob.

Why? Shaw is a very charismatic, high character, proven head football coach (at college) but he also has extensive experience at the pro level (as an assistant). His overall style fits the Bears legacy well and likely resonates with the McCaskeys (to go along with his character). Hard nosed football, runs a pro offense at stanford, strong defense...overall an offensive mind whose overall style should resonate with the general Bears fan base. Not only does it resonate, I think it fits with the weather we play in and the direction of the type of team we've built. Pound and ground football leveraging a lot of playaction, roll-outs, etc, so not totally boring. Leveraged McCaffrey as a RB who could do a ton in the screen game (so some dynamics to the offense) but someone who is going to flat out lead and drive a physical football team (which plays with discipline). I also think his level-headedness fits in well as the head coach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Why? Shaw is a very charismatic, high character, proven head football coach (at college) but he also has extensive experience at the pro level (as an assistant). His overall style fits the Bears legacy well and likely resonates with the McCaskeys (to go along with his character). Hard nosed football, runs a pro offense at stanford, strong defense...overall an offensive mind whose overall style should resonate with the general Bears fan base. Not only does it resonate, I think it fits with the weather we play in and the direction of the type of team we've built. Pound and ground football leveraging a lot of playaction, roll-outs, etc, so not totally boring. Leveraged McCaffrey as a RB who could do a ton in the screen game (so some dynamics to the offense) but someone who is going to flat out lead and drive a physical football team (which plays with discipline). I also think his level-headedness fits in well as the head coach.

There's nothing in his past that indicates he could help Tribusky develop at all. He is also very conservative. He seems like the offensive equivalent of Lovie without the pedigree as an NFL coordinator.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
I hope it's Mcdaniels.

He's either going to awesome or horrible.

I just remember how happy so many were when the Bears brought in Fox. Now I watch TV and look on the internet, and the Bears were hoodwinked hiring him. Where were these people 3 years ago?

The fact is, Bellicheck could coach this current roster and they aren't winning more than they are losing. I think either Pace needs to go, or needs some help.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)

I just remember how happy so many were when the Bears brought in Fox. Now I watch TV and look on the internet, and the Bears were hoodwinked hiring him. Where were these people 3 years ago?

The fact is, Bellicheck could coach this current roster and they aren't winning more than they are losing. I think either Pace needs to go, or needs some help.

This is always where my mind goes. Remember the quotes about a good solid coach. He will turn the franchise around because he did it with the other teams. I don't think there were any detractors. some said they would have preferred an offensive coach but that was the only complaint.

he had his issues. Remember that 5 year stint in cleveland? Yuck.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)

I agree with your assessment entirely and I think it is hillarious how everyone blames Fox for everything. Trubisky needs to be unleashed...we unleash him and he shows that he is really raw...etc. Making superbowls with 2 different teams isn't easy. Fox may not be the best coach of all time, but he has absolutely proven to be a good head coach. So for people to just assume removing Fox fixes some massive problem is just crazy talk. There was so much rot in this organization from the Trestman / Emery era (magnified by the fact that we really didn't get much talent late in the Lovie / Angelo era) that it just took a long time to truly clense. Pace has done nothing to put Fox in a position to win early, whether it was waiting on the QB or not being willing to overspend in FA. No one could do much with this roster...no one and it is unfortunate everyone just uses Fox as the scapegoat.

Fox has actually done a lot of good things; he brought in some excellent coaches (Fangio / Gase) and really turned / enhanced the culture. Sure we've had mistakes and yes we got smoked by the Eagles, but I look at this much less then the Trestman era, where it was driven by guys quitting, etc., and more the fact that with the lack of talent we have, we have very little margin for error (especially offensively where we do not have the personell to even attempt a shootout).

Basically Fox has been right on a lot of things this off-season. He stuck with Glennon for a while and kept saying Trubisky wasn't ready. When he turned the corner to Trubisky, he tried to protect him and it was apparent that Mitch needed that protecting (and it is even still apperent as he hasn't lit the world on fire as we have slowly opened things up). We have seen steady development and I think that is a testament to the coaching staff. Guys have gotten better under Fox and he built that defense in Denver. Denver has went straight to hell with Elway and more and more is coming out in Denver that make it sound like Fox was right all along in what he wanted to do (vs. Elway).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
This is always where my mind goes. Remember the quotes about a good solid coach. He will turn the franchise around because he did it with the other teams. I don't think there were any detractors. some said they would have preferred an offensive coach but that was the only complaint.

he had his issues. Remember that 5 year stint in cleveland? Yuck.

Coaches can only deal with the roster they have dealt. At no point have I ever said, man, we should be multiple wins better then we are. Maybe we should have won that Green Bay game, but that is about the only game where I really think we should have won and didn't with Fox. We have won some that we had no business winning though. And when you have as little offensive talent as this team has (at key positions), you are going to have some games that you just flat lose because guys are not ready for primetime. Now if we get pants by the Browns...that is another story. Fox was given zero opportunity to win in this role. None. Anyone who claims otherwise is full of s***, imo.

I think there were several of us who were less than thrilled given Fox's history and overly conservative coaching style.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
I will admit i was completely unaware of how painfully conservative he was

I do think Trubisky and now they say the receivers were at least partially to blame for his inaccuracy, have shown being conservative with him might have been wise. But run, run, pass, does get old, and probably still could have been very conservative but still mixed it up a bit which may have helped.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
I will admit i was completely unaware of how painfully conservative he was

Were we conservative last year with Barkley / Hoyer? I think it is evident we are conservative because we have a QB and personell who are not capable of being effective in an air-it-out offense. You have to coach to your personell and dropping back 40 times with Truibsky and this WR corps would be an epic disaster. Fox told us Trubiksy wasn't ready and he's actually prevented him from having major disaster of games by keeping the leash shorter and being more guarded. Everyone acts as if thats a negative, but I view that as a plus relative to what I saw Buffalo do earlier this year with Perlman and definitely with what the Browns have done.

Not saying the run run pass / complete vanilla was right...but this season is about Trubiksy's and the teams development, not wins/losses. Trubisky wasn't ready (and isn't ready) to run a full offense and they are trying to be careful, while still managing / keeping games close (so they have a chance to win). Is it exciting, no, but it is measured and there is a purpose behind it. Over the past few weeks, we've seen them slowly take the reigns off of Trubisky and in the grand scheme of things, a measured approach makes sense (nothing about Trubisky's track-record screamed that we should have just dropped him back and opened up the offense...he flat out didn't have the experience / wasn't ready to do that). Period.

It's not fun or sexy but I'd rather do run, run pass then do what a ton of the fans have been asking for, which in my opinion, would have just created bad habits and put Trubisky in a worse spot. There actually seems to be a strategy behind what we are / aren't letting Trubisky do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
Were we conservative last year with Barkley / Hoyer? I think it is evident we are conservative because we have a QB and personell who are not capable of being effective in an air-it-out offense. You have to coach to your personell and dropping back 40 times with Truibsky and this WR corps would be an epic disaster. Fox told us Trubiksy wasn't ready and he's actually prevented him from having major disaster of games by keeping the leash shorter and being more guarded. Everyone acts as if thats a negative, but I view that as a plus relative to what I saw Buffalo do earlier this year with Perlman and definitely with what the Browns have done.

Conservative doesn’t always mean “throw 20 or less times, run the ball as much as possible”. Fox makes decisions that hamper his offenses ability to score often. Yes, Barkley and Hoyer threw more, for more yards. But yet, they didn’t put the ball in the end zone either. Why? Because when Fox gets in the red zone he tries to run it in, way more often than he should. With Mitch it has been exacerbated by becoming so predictable run run pass that his “leash” actually hurts Mitch by putting him into 3rd and long almost every time. Opposing defenses know what’s coming, you can see it.

Yes, the wide receivers are a disaster right now but that doesn’t mean you abandon throwing it completely and forget both play action and rolling out are two of the things that Mitch does well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
I do think Trubisky and now they say the receivers were at least partially to blame for his inaccuracy, have shown being conservative with him might have been wise. But run, run, pass, does get old, and probably still could have been very conservative but still mixed it up a bit which may have helped.

Defenses are pinning their ears back on third and long and Mitch knows it. I’m not asking for air coryell but give the offense a different look here and then and keep the guy upright. Perfect example is the first two drives against Detroit, which was all scripted. Multiple play actions and roll outs and they scored twice. Then they have to start calling plays and it all goes to s***

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
Conservative doesn’t always mean “throw 20 or less times, run the ball as much as possible”. Fox makes decisions that hamper his offenses ability to score often. Yes, Barkley and Hoyer threw more, for more yards. But yet, they didn’t put the ball in the end zone either. Why? Because when Fox gets in the red zone he tries to run it in, way more often than he should. With Mitch it has been exacerbated by becoming so predictable run run pass that his “leash” actually hurts Mitch by putting him into 3rd and long almost every time. Opposing defenses know what’s coming, you can see it.

Yes, the wide receivers are a disaster right now but that doesn’t mean you abandon throwing it completely and forget both play action and rolling out are two of the things that Mitch does well.

The interesting thing to me is, Trubisky has not been that good out of playaction/rolling out. That is despite having a good rushing unit. The reality is we don't have guys who get open down the field / period and with it, the defenses are compressed and will remain compressed until we can prove otherwise. This unit is just stuck with a lack of talent and an extremely inexperienced/raw QB. The reality is we don't have playmakers who can spread the field (this is the worst receiving / playmaker corps I've ever seen on a football field). I also would say the reason we didn't convert yards to TD's last year goes back to Hoyer/Barkley being the QB's and our playmakers on offense (outside of Howard being weak...not counting Alshon who was suspended for part of last season).

Its easy to just blame everything on coaching. Talent matters and the Bears have none of it at the downfield playmaking positions. None. We also have a QB who when you split the field in have, is actually having a harder time making plays (partly because the D only has half the field to cover on a roll-out and we have guys who just flat out are crappy route-runners, untalented hacks, or both).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)

Defenses are pinning their ears back on third and long and Mitch knows it. I’m not asking for air coryell but give the offense a different look here and then and keep the guy upright. Perfect example is the first two drives against Detroit, which was all scripted. Multiple play actions and roll outs and they scored twice. Then they have to start calling plays and it all goes to s***

The Detroit game is an example where they actually opened things up a bit (and that is what they should do as Mitch gets ready). What they didn't want to have happen is you go to Trubisky and have a Nathan Pearlman 5 pick game where you destroy a kids confidence. While 3rd and long doesn't put him in a great position and is obviously not the intent, the reality is our players have committed egrigous penalties (and we've had just too many negative plays). If you run twice and then pass, you really shouldn't be in a ton of 3rd and "long" type situations because it should be pretty hard to have a "negative" play when you are running the football (especially with a unit like the Bears have). Unfortunately we've gotten too cute and shot ourselves in the foot too often and that has put us in even tigheter predicaments. All that said, I don't like the run run pass playcalling and loved that first half of the Detroit game where we were a bit more innovative (but again, I expect as Trubisky gets experienced, it will actually allow the playcalling to get more innovative). With a limited playbook (and that is what they started with for Mitch), there is only so much you can do.

I knew wasn't gonna be their next Super Bowl coach, but I was just happy to have a professional coach that would have his.players compete after they completely gave up.on Trestman. And they were competitive under Fox, they tried, the talent just wasn't there.

As Kyle said, I wasn't completely aware of how conservative he was and that has gotten out of control. I don't think he's completely lost the team like Trestman but it's hard for them.to give it their all when he shows zero faith in the offense and the young QB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Coaches can only deal with the roster they have dealt. At no point have I ever said, man, we should be multiple wins better then we are. Maybe we should have won that Green Bay game, but that is about the only game where I really think we should have won and didn't with Fox. We have won some that we had no business winning though. And when you have as little offensive talent as this team has (at key positions), you are going to have some games that you just flat lose because guys are not ready for primetime. Now if we get pants by the Browns...that is another story. Fox was given zero opportunity to win in this role. None. Anyone who claims otherwise is full of s***, imo.

Sorry, if you though this was directed at you. It was really just a post to the concept in general, moreso for the media really. They really seem to believe he has no idea how to coach.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
All whispers were that he would never sign an extension in Chicago, but still think they could have at least franchised him one year.

If that is what it took, that is what should have been done. Yes, maybe he didn't deserve it, but the Bears were well under the cap, profits were already locked in, and they needed a lot of receiving help. No brainer. It was a Pace fail.