Holmberg Outrighted

ChiSox59

Its just bizarre because I believe besides the vets in Clippard and Petricka, the rest of the bullpen has options. The Sox outrighted Holmberg off the 40 man when they still had 4 open spots (now 5). I believe Holmberg has to pass through outright waivers to get sent to Charlotte, but I could be mistaking on that. Just seems strange to risk losing him, even if he doesn't have much upside. He is at least a usable lefty reliever.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
Its just bizarre because I believe besides the vets in Clippard and Petricka, the rest of the bullpen has options. The Sox outrighted Holmberg off the 40 man when they still had 4 open spots (now 5). I believe Holmberg has to pass through outright waivers to get sent to Charlotte, but I could be mistaking on that. Just seems strange to risk losing him, even if he doesn't have much upside. He is at least a usable lefty reliever.

If he was outrighted, he made it through waivers. If he wants to continue to get paid, he'll go to Charlotte.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
If he was outrighted, he made it through waivers. If he wants to continue to get paid, he'll go to Charlotte.

Oh, you clear waivers before you get outright, and not after? Must be a quick process then.

Thanks for the clarification, by the way. I wasn't sure how that nuance worked exactly.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)

Also pretty sure this is the 2nd time he has been outrighted, so I believe he can elect free agency.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Oh, you clear waivers before you get outright, and not after? Must be a quick process then.

Thanks for the clarification, by the way. I wasn't sure how that nuance worked exactly.

Usually you read he would get DFA'd, and during that time he would get placed on waivers. He probably got sent through waivers with the rest of the team right after the trade deadline.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
Not sure what you're basing that on other than his ERA. 4.97 K/9 to 4.62 BB/9, 5.86 FIP, 6.16 xFIP, 5.81 SIERA.

I know he's not very good, but when I said "one of our best relievers", I was more knocking our bullpen than praising Holmberg