Kopech will have a chance to win a rotation spot next spring

southsider2k5

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
WOW :o

670 The Score‏Verified account @670TheScore 27m27 minutes ago Michael Kopech has impressed #WhiteSox to extent that he'll have chance to win a rotation spot next spring training, Nick Hostetler says.

If that's the case, then I also change my mind on Jimenez. They may get these guys to Chicago faster as long as they feel they can handle the inevitable ups and downs.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
If Kopech and Jimenez are up early next season,which i do believe will be the case, they are definitely trying to see what they potentially have before that big '19 FA class.

This is absolutely consistent with what Rick Hahn has said about believing 2019 is when his window re-opens.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
I've been telling you guys, the org is not comfortable with next year being a trainwreck at the major league level. They want to win in 2018, not so bad that theyll sell out and go ALL IN, but the 2019 draft is not a focus point. Expect moves this offseason to help the 2018 squad.

Who would you expect? Justin Upton if he opts out? I really don't think they are going to add that will make a significant impact.

Let's say Kopech starts. We'd have Rodon and Kopech to start the rotation with Lopez. Isn't that potentially 3 pretty good starters? Isn't it better than the trash say the Royals will throw out there?

Unfortunately it looks like Cleveland is ready to go on a Braves' like run of division titles. They are really good, folks, so I guess this rebuild is timed pretty well. But ... with 3 good starters minimum, pick up a veteran who can actually pitch, f*** that's a good four man rotation.

Add to that you got an infield of Abreu, Moncada, TA and Davidson, that's not so awful.

Flame away. If we have to lose 120 games the next two seasons, fine, but I maintain we'll have so many players expected to contribute to our next title team on the big league roster that all that losing will not be that helpful.

Unless Lopez is a total flameout, the rotation could be at least better than the Royals and Twins and Tigers. I realize the bullpen as is is so bad it would ultimately make us an 100 loss team unless we worked on that. Maybe that's the key. The bullpen is so bad we're stuck at 120 losses no matter what, but I like our rotation.

Who would you expect? Justin Upton if he opts out? I really don't think they are going to add that will make a significant impact.

I'm on record predicting Moustakas. But there are lateral moves to be made, I'm not sure they really need Avi around in the short term or long term. Also, a lot of mid range free agents are available, like the Sox could easily have Lance Lynn next year fulfilling the role Derek Holland has this season. That's a big improvement, and one that will cost more money but hardly break the bank or be an albatross.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
DO NOT LIKE.

I also don't think it will happen. Kopech is in AAA until August/September unless he is making mincemeat of AAA.

Moncada came up not because he was making Mincemeat of the Minors but because the major league trade deadline schedule dictated it. I'm guessing we'll see Kopech up after the Super-2 deadline for the same reason.

Let's say Kopech starts. We'd have Rodon and Kopech to start the rotation with Lopez. Isn't that potentially 3 pretty good starters? Isn't it better than the trash say the Royals will throw out there?

Unfortunately it looks like Cleveland is ready to go on a Braves' like run of division titles. They are really good, folks, so I guess this rebuild is timed pretty well. But ... with 3 good starters minimum, pick up a veteran who can actually pitch, f*** that's a good four man rotation.

Add to that you got an infield of Abreu, Moncada, TA and Davidson, that's not so awful.

Flame away. If we have to lose 120 games the next two seasons, fine, but I maintain we'll have so many players expected to contribute to our next title team on the big league roster that all that losing will not be that helpful.

Unless Lopez is a total flameout, the rotation could be at least better than the Royals and Twins and Tigers. I realize the bullpen as is is so bad it would ultimately make us an 100 loss team unless we worked on that. Maybe that's the key. The bullpen is so bad we're stuck at 120 losses no matter what, but I like our rotation.

Giolito too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)

Was Rodon a strong top of the rotation guy this year? No, he spent half the year hurt and we have yet to see a single, full, consistent season from him where you'd have confidence that he's going to lead your rotation. Lopez and Kopech as pretty good starters when Kopech probably should still be in AAA and Lopez is a rookie? You've got the makings of a solid 2019 rotation, but even counting Giolito you've got lots that will go wrong.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
I've been telling you guys, the org is not comfortable with next year being a trainwreck at the major league level. They want to win in 2018, not so bad that theyll sell out and go ALL IN, but the 2019 draft is not a focus point. Expect moves this offseason to help the 2018 squad.

They'll probably wind up being patient so as to not be accused of rushing guys and ruining the rebuild with impatience. I bet they want to win, but will appease Jerry by telling him to be patient and ready for a title in 2019. Just one more year of baseball hell. Alexei, what are the organizations plans for the bullpen if what you say is true. That bullpen will blow 80 percent of the games we happen to lead. That bullpen will have to be rebuilt before we can dream of .500.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Anyone else get the impression the Sox might want to not tank next year ? I read a lot of Sox stuff and that's the impression I am getting.

Put the claim in on Stanton and embed him into the rebuild!!!