Astros acquire Verlander

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
Yeah, I said Tigers, I meant Astros. Houston seems to value their prospects way higher than money. It wouldn't have taken much more prospects to land them a Gray or Quintana, but they didn't. Instead they got an older and way more expensive pitcher who has had some pretty bad years recently, who is signed up for a really long time.

Verlander is under contract for 2 more years, which I would not describe as a very long time. That said, I know he has a vesting option in 2020 so maybe that kicks in and it means he's under contract for 3 more years. You also reference him coming off "bad" seasons, but last year he put up a WAR of 6.6 and this year he is basically at 4 (with a few more starts left). The year before he put up a WAR of 2 (over 20 starts) and that was the only year in his career (outside of his rookie year where he threw 186 innings) where he didn't throw 200 innings. I will qualify that by saying it is debatable whether he will get to that mark this year (or not). He should have a shot though (28 innings away). Verlander is still pretty good.

Not as great as he once was, but for the Astros, they seemed okay taking on the additional money vs. giving up the prospects for a guy who absolutely makes them a more formidable world series contender, imo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Last I saw he had rejected the trade. Crazy.

I'd heard speculation that he wanted to go to the Cubs...but Theo had stripped the cupboard pretty bare and didn't have the resources to land him. Would have involved a position player or two already on the roster (I'd imagine Schwarbs or Happ would have had to be one of them)...and he didn't want to do that (or vise/versa). Not sure how accurate this it or not. It was very last minute tho huh...