Lopez, Fulmer and Holmberg to Chicago

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Fulmer is probably the best example in recent years of the damage you can do by pushing a pitcher too fast.

I would say its pushing him too fast and attempting to completely revamp his mechanics. He was successful in college based on what he was doing. Changing his mechanics and moving him aggressively is probably not a good thing. He has the talent. Its getting him back to what made him successful in the first place.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
The problem is that he is the same pitcher. He really has not progressed as a starter aside from learning the cutter. He still struggles to throw strikes but the repertoire is still there.

If the Sox can get Fulmer to throw strikes with his fastball and cutter as a reliever, his knuckle curve will be absolutely devastating with two strikes. There's alot of potential in Fulmer as a reliever.

I'm gonna keep saying it until it becomes reality: Fulmer/Burdi will be the lockdown setup & closer for the 2019 playoff run

Siera Santos‏Verified account @SieraSantos 3m3 minutes ago Rick Hahn says the team is working on how Carson Fulmer will be used for the remainder of the season. Perhaps one or two more starts.

Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 4m4 minutes ago

Fulmer's role hasn't been identified yet . Sounds as if he will pitch in relief but also get some starts

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
Did his arm fall off? Did he have TJ? He's not a 40 year old, you don't "lose" 1st round stuff as a 23 year old with no injuries.

He probably still has first round stuff. But his delivery was such that he couldn't repeat it pitch after pitch. Has that been fixed?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
He probably still has first round stuff. But his delivery was such that he couldn't repeat it pitch after pitch. Has that been fixed?

They're trying to calm down his motion. To me, he looks like a guy thinking too much. Just let him go out there and do his thing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)

They're trying to calm down his motion. To me, he looks like a guy thinking too much. Just let him go out there and do his thing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)

Yep, let him work with Coop for a month. Next year it sinks in that he's probably not a SP & the pressure is off and to just go out there and mow 3 guys down at a time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
He definitely hurts the playoff push

lol...exactly.

There is a strange irony in the fact that Fulmer, who sadly may prove to be a wasted first round Draft pick, is now pitching to help the Sox get a high first round Draft pick.

Carson's all-out effort on every pitch reminds me of fans who try to beat the radar gun throwing in that cubicle out in the LF deck. Maybe Mark Buehrle could help this pitcher, maybe not. Perhaps Fulmer just can't pitch effectively unless it is an all-out effort on every single throw. IMO, that isn't going to work, especially if he wants to be a starter. Perhaps if he was amping it up to 100mph that would work in relief.

Would like to see Fulmer make a couple starts this September but I do think he can (and will) be a helluva reliever in Chicago starting in '18

Biggest weakness is his control issues and hopefully he can get his velocity up again, was hitting 97+ at Vandy (I thought he was the best NCAA (and overall) P available in '15 and was absolutely siked when we got him)