Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
There is a quote from Hahn at the end. Certainly doesn't sound like a guy not interested, but probably realistic about his chances. There is a lot to sell if he is trying to make his own mark and RH and JR are contract geniuses. I am sure if he will listen they will talk to him,

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/11/14/sho...te-sox-pursuit/

Hopefully they make an all-out organization wide effort to sign him. The White Sox are the exact type of team he was described as looking for, and if he pans out, it accelerates the rebuild and extends the contention window that much more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
There is a quote from Hahn at the end. Certainly doesn't sound like a guy not interested, but probably realistic about his chances. There is a lot to sell if he is trying to make his own mark and RH and JR are contract geniuses. I am sure if he will listen they will talk to him,

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/11/14/sho...te-sox-pursuit/

I figure this to be alot like the Tanaka sweepstakes minus the giant contract obviously. They'll go for it and hope for the best. It would be funny to use Tad Iguchi as a selling point.

This, however, would be another tremendous get if Hahn can do it. Add another top young piece to an already stacked farm system.

Edited by SouthSideSale

Alright this is mostly just bulls***, but let’s say this is his team selection process:

1. Wants to hit most days when he’s not pitching (DH required)

=> eliminates 15 NL teams

2. Wants to join non-established or rebuilding team

=> eliminates HOU, NYY, BOS, CLE, MIN, KC, BAL, LAA, TEX

3. Prefers large city with respectable Japanese population

=> eliminates TOR, TB, DET

4. Prefers organization with both stability & upside

=> eliminates OAK

5. Prefers club without expansive history of Japanese players

=> eliminates SEA

Theoretically that leaves us as the winner if money truly doesn’t matter!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
Alright this is mostly just bulls***, but let’s say this is his team selection process:

=> eliminates OAK

=> eliminates SEA

I like this and hope it is the logic he follows in his decision making process.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)

=> eliminates OAK

=> eliminates SEA

I'll give you credit, this is the best thought out explanation.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
We just traded away more international bonus space, so I don't even know how much we have left. We got a pretty good prospect, so it may have been the rest of our pool.

Yeah I'm not sure. It would be nice if we are sitting right at the $300k max we can spend haha

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
Exactly. And for literally one game! How do we know we weren't there for every other game but our scout had food poisoning that night? We don't! Yeah, we can say its highly unlikely, but extrapolating from a single report about one game is ridiculous especially when most reporters have repeatedly said that every team will at least attempt to sign him.

This isn’t true. Otani made seven starts, and there were a minimum ten teams represented at all of them. The broadcast would pan up to the scout seats practically every time he touched 98+

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
This isn’t true. Otani made seven starts, and there were a minimum ten teams represented at all of them. The broadcast would pan up to the scout seats practically every time he touched 98+

Then journalists need to get their facts right. The article I read said he made one pitching appearance all year and got touched up for 4 runs in 1.1 innings.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
Then journalists need to get their facts right. The article I read said he made one pitching appearance all year and got touched up for 4 runs in 1.1 innings.

Yeah that’s extremely wrong. That was the line from his first start of the year, which didn’t happen until July. You may have been reading an old article.

Perfectly happy that the Sox used their money on Robert, in what as a modest bidding war, versus the Otana frenzy, that they would be unlikely to win anyway.

Now I would like them to be more in the game on international amateur signings in general, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
Perfectly happy that the Sox used their money on Robert, in what as a modest bidding war, versus the Otana frenzy, that they would be unlikely to win anyway.

Now I would like them to be more in the game on international amateur signings in general, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

How so? They have been in the game frequently

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
We just traded away more international bonus space, so I don't even know how much we have left. We got a pretty good prospect, so it may have been the rest of our pool.

Apparently Seattle's #8 prospect who throws very hard, reportedly hit 104 once . http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox...-intriguing-arm

Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi Shohei Ohtani’s move to @MLB in 2018 is not certain to happen. Source says there was no progress last night (Eastern time) in posting system negotiations, regarding MLBPA’s concerns. It’s now after midnight in Tokyo, less than 10 hours to deadline. @MLBNetwork

Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi 28m28 minutes ago Sources: Key NPB officials are working through the night in Japan -- as in, now -- in an effort to reach new posting agreement, or at least convince MLBPA to extend 8 p.m. ET deadline. Unclear if there has been sufficient progress to do so. @MLBNetwork @MLB

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 8m8 minutes ago The MLBPA set an 8 p.m. ET deadline for an agreement. Without a deal, Shohei Ohtani would not play in MLB in 2018. Remember, of course, this is an arbitrary deadline. MLBPA simply doesn’t want free agent market to be held up any more than it already has been for multiple reasons.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 12m12 minutes ago Sources: Negotiating for new posting system continues, and while parties remain optimistic, gaps do exist. An example: MLBPA wanted to shorten posting window from Nov. 1-Feb. 1 to Nov. 1-Nov. 15. NPB countered Dec. 31. MLBPA went Dec. 1. NPB then Dec. 15. Haggling over two weeks.