Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)
For regular DH at bats. Right now it's Judge in RF and Hicks in CF. Between LF and DH they have Gardner, Ellsbury and Frazier.

I agree they should trade one or two players but that won't deter the Yanks from going after Ohtani first. They are speculated to be shopping Castro, Headley, Gardner and willing to listen on Clint Frazier. Ellsbury ain't going anywhere though, they are stuck like pigs on that contract.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
I still don't see him stating anywhere that he requires 600 guaranteed at-bats... in fact, all I have seen is him stating the opposite:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...tani-1.14928323

Only thing I've seen is that he wants to be a two-way player. Don't where 600 came from ( someone's arse).

I still don't see him stating anywhere that he requires 600 guaranteed at-bats... in fact, all I have seen is him stating the opposite:

I don’t think anyone has suggested it’s a requirement, but he certainly wants to be a two-way player and not many teams can truly offer him guaranteed DH at-bats. The point is the Sox being a rebuilding club works to their advantage in this area.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
Only thing I've seen is that he wants to be a two-way player. Don't where 600 came from ( someone's arse).

Perhaps it was this?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Does he really want a promise of 600 at bats?

I can't see anything before this about it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 02:34 AM)
Perhaps it was this?

I can't see anything before this about it.

Yep, that's the ticket. Nothing I've read has indicated he's looking for a specific number of at bats. Just that he wants to be a two-way player. I'm not sure 600 is even possible in the AL anyway. If he makes all 32 starts as a pitcher, that's 32 games he will not be in the lineup which leaves him with 130 games to get his at bats. 500-550 is probably what were looking at AL teams being able to offer. The only way he gets 600+ is signing with an NL team.

I think he ends up signing with an AL team. Seattle has a lot to offer Ohtani.

I think Greg just tossed out "600 at bats." It would be tough to reach 600 if he didn't hit on days he pitched along with a day off after he pitches.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
Yep, that's the ticket. Nothing I've read has indicated he's looking for a specific number of at bats. Just that he wants to be a two-way player. I'm not sure 600 is even possible in the AL anyway. If he makes all 32 starts as a pitcher, that's 32 games he will not be in the lineup which leaves him with 130 games to get his at bats. 500-550 is probably what were looking at AL teams being able to offer. The only way he gets 600+ is signing with an NL team.

I think he ends up signing with an AL team. Seattle has a lot to offer Ohtani.

Ohtani can pitch and hit in the same game . There isn't a rule prohibiting that.

QUOTE (zisk @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)
Ohtani can pitch and hit in the same game . There isn't a rule prohibiting that.

Teams probably wouldn't do that so they can keep the DH when he is taken out. Juat let him start at DH 3 games between starts.

It would be kind of interesting if he came over and had success with the bat and was hitting like 6th on games he started in the NL games. Would just be odd seeing the starting pitcher hitting 6th.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
Teams probably wouldn't do that so they can keep the DH when he is taken out. Juat let him start at DH 3 games between starts.

It would be kind of interesting if he came over and had success with the bat and was hitting like 6th on games he started in the NL games. Would just be odd seeing the starting pitcher hitting 6th.

We could always put a wizard at SS or CF and have a DH bat for them. Youd just have to have pinch hitters ready for when Ohtani get pulled.

We should all keep in mind that 98% of all commentary about Otani's "preferences" are complete and total speculation. He's been extremely careful and limited in his statements to the media. The only thing we can be reasonably sure about is that he wants to hit and allegedly isn't worried about how much money he will make. Everything else has either come from internet comment sections or blogger speculation pieces that get mis-reported. Someone like Heyman will write "No one really knows what he wants. It could be that he may want to go to a place where there he can establish himself as the foundation of a long-term rebuild." And then people start posting and commenting "I heard he only wants to go to a rebuilding team!"

Lots of AL teams can offer regular at bats at the DH spot for certain. If he is struggling and his team is contending, they could stop hitting him, which Ohtani would just have to deal with. That would be the risk in choosing a team that is already good now. The Sox can promise him almost 2 years of regular at bats and actually keep it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Ohtani's questionnaire to interested teams:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcAN44IDa_4/

Honestly these are all things we excel at no? especially medicals

Is that Ohtani's actual questionnaire or something that the people at MLB Network came up with as regards to an outline as to what Ohtani may be asking for? Because it seems more like the latter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
Is that Ohtani's actual questionnaire or something that the people at MLB Network came up with as regards to an outline as to what Ohtani may be asking for? Because it seems more like the latter.

It seems odd that they would come up with the phrase "questionaire topics" if this wasn't something that was submitted by Ohtani.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)

It's Ohtani's actual questionnaire.

Link: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/shoh...-mlb-teams.html

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
Ohtani's questionnaire to interested teams:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcAN44IDa_4/

Honestly these are all things we excel at no? especially medicals

The more he continues to insist that money means literally nothing to him, the more it becomes actually realistic for any AL team to land him.

It makes me really sad and disappointed that there are no outward signs that the White Sox are really trying. Obviously that doesn't mean they aren't under the radar, but it would just be so nice to see a public effort a la the Mariners so that we could legitimately hope.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
The more he continues to insist that money means literally nothing to him, the more it becomes actually realistic for any AL team to land him.

It makes me really sad and disappointed that there are no outward signs that the White Sox are really trying. Obviously that doesn't mean they aren't under the radar, but it would just be so nice to see a public effort a la the Mariners so that we could legitimately hope.

Yeah as nice as it would be, it's not really strange since they usually operate that way of flying under the radar.