Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)

Hopefully the White Sox kill the questionnaire like they did the Luis Robert presentation. It will be fun to watch what teams get invited to meet with him wherever he is staying.

...to explain its player development, medical training...

Coop + Herm * display history of success = good.

Also interesting that he specifically asked for no financial aspects to be set forth. I don't know much about what Chicago has to offer when it comes to the cultural aspects requested.

Still putting our odds at 1 in 1,000,000,000 ?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 07:19 PM)

Also interesting that he specifically asked for no financial aspects to be set forth. I don't know much about what Chicago has to offer when it comes to the cultural aspects requested.

Still putting our odds at 1 in 1,000,000,000

That’s an absolutely huge selling point. No organization has done a better job of keeping pitchers healthy & productive than the White Sox and hopefully it’s not understated in their sales pitch.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 07:19 PM)

Still putting our odds at 1 in 1,000,000,000 ?

Chicago at one time had a pretty decent Japanese population, but most moved back out west.

It won’t be able to compete with West Coast cities around thriving Japanese immigrant settlements, but gets to say it is a diverse, modern city. Of course that works for cubs too and his current team is in a kinda small city I think so who knows what he’s looking for

The more I read/think about this, the more I believe the Sox can win this sweepstakes. Having said that, let me reiterate that my beliefs are entirely based on the rumor he doesn’t want to go to an established club and the theory that money isn’t a factor at all here (based on him leaving early).

So first thing’s first, I can’t see an NL team pulling this off. Everything out there including this new memo demonstrates the importance of being able to pitch and hit and requires the DH. I’ve seen people suggest he could play the OF on off days, but that seems like a trap answer and something that isn’t actually viable if he wants to ensure his own health. And he hasn’t played the OF in a few years IIRC, so it really seems DH or bust.

But beyond just being an AL team and having a DH spot available, how many teams can really commit to him there with no contraints? Can a contender like the Yankees really promise 600 ABs no matter how Otani is performing? This ties back into the wanting to join a non-established club rumor, but the Sox can promise him a spot in their lineup for the next two years and allow him to go through his growing pains with no constraints whatsoever. They can give him a real opportunity to prove himself as a potential two way player, which is obviously very important to him. This point shouldn’t be overlooked.

And the fact we’re rebuilding also allows us to adjust our rotation and pitching schedule as needed to accommodate Otani’s first year in the majors and ensure a healthy transition. Contenders may be leery of moving to a six man rotation as it could have on the field impacts. Those concerns will be less important to us next year since winning isn’t a primary objective. But the commitment to health goes well beyond year one and as I alluded to in a previous post no one keeps their pitchers healthier and productive than the White Sox. That point should not be understated when selling him on the White Sox.

But there are other factors that help us as well. Chicago is obviously a massive media market, which checks off what seems (based on the memo) to be an important box and helps distinguish us from several other non-established clubs. Our organization has always been a champion for diversity, with both an African American team president and a Hispanic manager demonstrating that point. And I think we’ve done a incridble job assimilating foreign players into the clubhouse, whether that be Shingo & Iguchi or Alexei & Abreu. Jose in particular should be used as a huge selling point, as he’s immediately become a clubhouse leader and has been historically awesome from the get-go. That type of transition should speak volumes to Otani. And along these lines, I’d also stress our organization’s commitment to its players & employees (i.e. loyalty). Working for a Japanese company, I can’t understate the importantance of this point. And given this guy has an uncertain financial picture in front of him, the fact we take care of / stick with our people becomes even more important.

The last selling point and one that shouldn’t be overlooked is what we’re building here. Otani has an opportunity to be the face of this rebuild. He can head a rotation that would also include Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, & Hansen. That would be without question the most talented group of pitchers in baseball and he’d be at the top of it. Sell this as the next 1990’s Braves pitching staff if need be. Furthermore, he’d also get to anchor an exciting young lineup with Abreu and potential stars in Moncada, Jimenez, & Robert and whatever we can buy in free agency. Again, not only does he get to be part of an exciting young team but he gets to make a major impact on both sides of the field. Our contention window aligns perfectly with his and the role he’d play in that should be one of our top selling points. He can be the face of the most exciting up-and-coming team in baseball. How many teams can offer that?

I’m sure I’ll get some TLDR replies and other will say this was a waste of time and that we have no chance, but I think some posters are selling ourselves short here. IMO, we are in a pretty unique situation and can offer Otani a city/team/situation/environment that is hard to match. If money is truly not a factor and this memo suggests it isn’t, then I really think we can win this thing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
The more I read/think about this, the more I believe the Sox can win this sweepstakes. Having said that, let me reiterate that my beliefs are entirely based on the rumor he doesn’t want to go to an established club and the theory that money isn’t a factor at all here (based on him leaving early).

So first thing’s first, I can’t see an NL team pulling this off. Everything out there including this new memo demonstrates the importance of being able to pitch and hit and requires the DH. I’ve seen people suggest he could play the OF on off days, but that seems like a trap answer and something that isn’t actually viable if he wants to ensure his own health. And he hasn’t played the OF in a few years IIRC, so it really seems DH or bust.

But beyond just being an AL team and having a DH spot available, how many teams can really commit to him there with no contraints? Can a contender like the Yankees really promise 600 ABs no matter how Otani is performing? This ties back into the wanting to join a non-established club rumor, but the Sox can promise him a spot in their lineup for the next two years and allow him to go through his growing pains with no constraints whatsoever. They can give him a real opportunity to prove himself as a potential two way player, which is obviously very important to him. This point shouldn’t be overlooked.

And the fact we’re rebuilding also allows us to adjust our rotation and pitching schedule as needed to accommodate Otani’s first year in the majors and ensure a healthy transition. Contenders may be leery of moving to a six man rotation as it could have on the field impacts. Those concerns will be less important to us next year since winning isn’t a primary objective. But the commitment to health goes well beyond year one and as I alluded to in a previous post no one keeps their pitchers healthier and productive than the White Sox. That point should not be understated when selling him on the White Sox.

But there are other factors that help us as well. Chicago is obviously a massive media market, which checks off what seems (based on the memo) to be an important box and helps distinguish us from several other non-established clubs. Our organization has always been a champion for diversity, with both an African American team president and a Hispanic manager demonstrating that point. And I think we’ve done a incridble job assimilating foreign players into the clubhouse, whether that be Shingo & Iguchi or Alexei & Abreu. Jose in particular should be used as a huge selling point, as he’s immediately become a clubhouse leader and has been historically awesome from the get-go. That type of transition should speak volumes to Otani. And along these lines, I’d also stress our organization’s commitment to its players & employees (i.e. loyalty). Working for a Japanese company, I can’t understate the importantance of this point. And given this guy has an uncertain financial picture in front of him, the fact we take care of / stick with our people becomes even more important.

The last selling point and one that shouldn’t be overlooked is what we’re building here. Otani has an opportunity to be the face of this rebuild. He can head a rotation that would also include Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, & Hansen. That would be without question the most talented group of pitchers in baseball and he’d be at the top of it. Sell this as the next 1990’s Braves pitching staff if need be. Furthermore, he’d also get to anchor an exciting young lineup with Abreu and potential stars in Moncada, Jimenez, & Robert and whatever we can buy in free agency. Again, not only does he get to be part of an exciting young team but he gets to make a major impact on both sides of the field. Our contention window aligns perfectly with his and the role he’d play in that should be one of our top selling points. He can be the face of the most exciting up-and-coming team in baseball. How many teams can offer that?

I’m sure I’ll get some TLDR replies and other will say this was a waste of time and that we have no chance, but I think some posters are selling ourselves short here. IMO, we are in a pretty unique situation and can offer Otani a city/team/situation/environment that is hard to match. If money is truly not a factor and this memo suggests it isn’t, then I really think we can win this thing.

Anyone have a link that says this?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Anyone have a link that says this?

This is the best I can find. It’s from a Buster Olney article a few weeks ago, but I’ve read similar sediments elsewhere.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insi...season-question

There have been rumors that he would prefer to be part of a rebuilding effort rather than joining an established power, but nobody really knows if that means he’d pick, say, the Twins over the Dodgers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
This is the best I can find. It’s from a Buster Olney article a few weeks ago, but I’ve read similar sediments elsewhere.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insi...season-question

If true, you'd have to think it would be the lowest deciding factor compared to some of the other ones (being able to hit, training/medical staff apparently, etc).

Edited by soxfan2014

It will be decided two days before Christmas and it will indeed be fascinating. There are other things like Seattle and the Ichiro lore along with their massive Japanese culture... but then again I've seen it suggested that he may not want to go to a franchise with a storied past of a Japanese player succeeding.

I'll bring my odds down to 1 in 1,000.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
It will be decided two days before Christmas and it will indeed be fascinating. There are other things like Seattle and the Ichiro lore along with their massive Japanese culture... but then again I've seen it suggested that he may not want to go to a franchise with a storied past of a Japanese player succeeding.

I'll bring my odds down to 1 in 1,000.

Link? Only have seen hopeful fans suggest this.

Edited by soxfan2014

Does he really want a promise of 600 at bats? That's kind of unique. Not many teams "promise" stuff like that. I mean coaches promise all kinds of stuff in recruiting but always give themself a hedge if the player is a complete bust.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
Does he really want a promise of 600 at bats? That's kind of unique. Not many teams "promise" stuff like that. I mean coaches promise all kinds of stuff in recruiting but always give themself a hedge if the player is a complete bust.

If he does, that's something the White Sox can offer that a contender can't.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

I don't know about that. The Red Sox and Yankees could use another starting pitcher and more production from their DH spot in the lineup.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)

I've yet to see such a proposed "promise".

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

Eh. If that is what it takes to get him, teams are going to bend over backwards to promise whatever it takes to get him. If the choice is moving someone else and or not getting him, teams will make space for him.

I still don't see him stating anywhere that he requires 600 guaranteed at-bats... in fact, all I have seen is him stating the opposite:

“I don’t know if it will be possible, but I want to hear what teams over there say and what kind of situations might be available,” Otani said Saturday of being a two-way player. “Until that process has started, I can’t say how it might work out.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...tani-1.14928323