2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
That's less than he was projected to get. Still makes no sense for that team unless they think they are going to be competitive in like the 3rd/4th year and beyond in that deal.

There you go. I don't care if JD Martinez is available for $30 million less than we thought he'd get, he makes no sense for us and when we are ready to do some damage his salary will be in the way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
It will be interesting to see if they can win with the modern 5 inning starts idea.

It's one thing to do it in the postseason with all the days off, it's another over a full 162 game season. Especially when your home games can quickly turn into double digit affairs.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Source: Wade Davis' deal with the Rockies is for three years and $52M. It's the highest per-year salary ever for a relief pitcher.

With a 4th year option. Deal can go up to 66 million. Can't say I blame the guy.

Eno Sarris‏ @enosarris Eno Sarris Retweeted Joel Sherman

Starting pitchers won’t take their $, position players are more expensive. Relieving isn’t an easy life anyway & Rockies can offer a little more there to entice them without going to more than 3-4 years. Can extricate themselves easily from this strategy. Might as well try it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
Pretty shocked Davis signed with Colorado. He had Cubs culture for a year. Funny how offering the most money works.

Good god man, no one (or almost no one) has argued otherwise, but please arguing against this fake claim...

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
I think we are headed towards a strike.

I think the only league right now where they're anywhere close to risking all the gains of the last 10 years via labor issues is the NFL. Everyone in baseball is still getting rich. Owners, players both. Just an interesting trend to see teams ponying up for fewer years to avoid the long term risk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
I think the only league right now where they're anywhere close to risking all the gains of the last 10 years via labor issues is the NFL. Everyone in baseball is still getting rich. Owners, players both. Just an interesting trend to see teams ponying up for fewer years to avoid the long term risk.

Yea but the players aren't seeing enough of the profits:

Since 1995, MLB’s overall league revenues have increased nearly 650%, going from around $1.4 billion to over $9 billion in 2014. During that same time period, though, MLB payrolls have only increased by around 378%, from roughly $925 million in 1995 to just under $3.5 billion last year.

We'll see if the union can remain united enough to commit to a strike. Nobody wants to kill the golden goose but if I'm a MLBPA analyst I'm seeing worrying trends.