2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 21m21 minutes ago Sources: The Houston Astros have engaged with the Pittsburgh Pirates on trade talks for starter Gerrit Cole. One name bandied about as a return: outfielder Derek Fisher. For a trade to happen, Pirates almost certainly would need Kyle Tucker or Forrest Whitley as a centerpiece.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 11:45 AM)
We were all super frustrated with the Astros not ponying up for Q last year, but I have to say that I hope we operate exactly like they have when we need to acquire.

+1,000,000

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 03:45 PM)
We were all super frustrated with the Astros not ponying up for Q last year, but I have to say that I hope we operate exactly like they have when we need to acquire.

Honestly? They got LUCKY. Anyone here who saw Verlander being both dominant enough to earn his contract and available because the Tigers otherwise fell apart going into last season? That deal doesn't happen and the Astros don't have the ammunition to win it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:37 PM)
Honestly? They got LUCKY. Anyone here who saw Verlander being both dominant enough to earn his contract and available because the Tigers otherwise fell apart going into last season? That deal doesn't happen and the Astros don't have the ammunition to win it.

Yea they did get pretty lucky, but it was a "preparation meets opportunity" style break. If you're in position to vulture from clubs looking to just get out from under a veteran contract you should try and take advantage, as they did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 04:37 PM)

To some extent, I think every championship winner gets lucky.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 03:40 PM)
Yea they did get pretty lucky, but it was a "preparation meets opportunity" style break. If you're in position to vulture from clubs looking to just get out from under a veteran contract you should try and take advantage, as they did.

correct.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 04:40 PM)

Hypothetically, if you were in the Astros position and Verlander never became available, and you lost the ALCS this year, would you be saying the same thing? That it was correct to hold onto the prospects rather than go for a pitcher to put you over the top?

Their own players were questioning why they didn't come away at the trade deadline with a starter. The need was obvious last offseason. I'd call that a risk I have no interest in taking. If trading someone who could be a star after 2019 wins us the 2020 trophy, I will be much more content with the trophy than the prospect.

Theoretically were they better off trading for Yu Darvish? You can't just take the binary option of hypotheticals. They have been extremely selective of players to spend their prospects on, players they've clearly targeted at the right price, and now are one of the few contenders with a stacked farm and are capable of going after pitchers like Gerrit Cole in a market with few trade contenders and may get him at a great price.

They've played conservatively but targeted players they believe can succeed and paid the price they wanted to. I don't want the sox to dave dombrowski themselves as soon as they reach an ALDS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:58 PM)
Hypothetically, if you were in the Astros position and Verlander never became available, and you lost the ALCS this year, would you be saying the same thing? That it was correct to hold onto the prospects rather than go for a pitcher to put you over the top?

Their own players were questioning why they didn't come away at the trade deadline with a starter. The need was obvious last offseason. I'd call that a risk I have no interest in taking. If trading someone who could be a star after 2019 wins us the 2020 trophy, I will be much more content with the trophy than the prospect.

It was a calculated risk and Verlander performed beyond even what my most homer Tigers fans from Michigan predicted. So in that sense they got lucky. If he was just mediocre for them or blew a couple playoff starts the risk look worse.

My position is that this is why GMs get paid well and don't sleep much. It's hard to say WHEN exactly you need to start taking risks like this and when it's time to simply do nothing. I think the clubhouse reacting how it did to the lack of movement at the deadline spurred them somewhat to action. How amazingly well that action played out certainly had an element of luck.

They've played conservatively but targeted players they believe can succeed and paid the price they wanted to. I don't want the sox to dave dombrowski themselves as soon as they reach an ALDS.

lol. Tragically we have the 2010-2016 Sox to remind us of our own domboing -- or perhaps Williamsing.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)
It was a calculated risk and Verlander performed beyond even what my most homer Tigers fans from Michigan predicted. So in that sense they got lucky. If he was just mediocre for them or blew a couple playoff starts the risk look worse.

My position is that this is why GMs get paid well and don't sleep much. It's hard to say WHEN exactly you need to start taking risks like this and when it's time to simply do nothing. I think the clubhouse reacting how it did to the lack of movement at the deadline spurred them somewhat to action. How amazingly well that action played out certainly had an element of luck.

lol. Tragically we have the 2010-2016 Sox to remind us of our own domboing -- or perhaps Williamsing.

When a team is a clear contender you can make those risks of dealing top prospects to try and win in the short term. We just are not close enough to contention to even be thinking about dealing from our farm though. We still need another full season or two of rebuilding before we can start getting aggressive.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 06:34 PM)
When a team is a clear contender you can make those risks of dealing top prospects to try and win in the short term. We just are not close enough to contention to even be thinking about dealing from our farm though. We still need another full season or two of rebuilding before we can start getting aggressive.

An obvious example is the James Shields trade. We never, ever want to be a position to do that again.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:34 PM)

I totally agree, I just don't want to do what the Astros did - when we have a team sitting there ready to win 100 games, and we have a totally obvious need from the offseason through the trading deadline, a need big enough that it has a strong chance of costing us a trophy if it is not met....don't pass on it to hold onto prospects. Fill the need, don't play for 2021 if your team is ahead in the division by 10 games in 2020 and you need 1 player to round it out. The Astros totally passed on filling their need and then were bailed out by a team suddenly more willing to shed salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 04:54 PM)
I totally agree, I just don't want to do what the Astros did - when we have a team sitting there ready to win 100 games, and we have a totally obvious need from the offseason through the trading deadline, a need big enough that it has a strong chance of costing us a trophy if it is not met....don't pass on it to hold onto prospects. Fill the need, don't play for 2021 if your team is ahead in the division by 10 games in 2020 and you need 1 player to round it out. The Astros totally passed on filling their need and then were bailed out by a team suddenly more willing to shed salary.

Another way of looking at this is they waited for the market to come to their price and struck when it did, which is exactly what I'd want the White Sox to do. They kept their farm system from going completely barren while still getting the quality of pitcher they needed, and likely extended their contention timeframe by doing so. Put another way, they won the World Series and still have arguably the best farm system in their division. It's an enviable position, and their patience played a large part in putting them there.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:38 PM)
An obvious example is the James Shields trade. We never, ever want to be a position to do that again.

What position was that? The trade was between two teams at the bottom of their division. It was just a bad trade for White Sox.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:28 PM)

GM's get plenty of sleep.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 01:45 PM)

That Verlander contract could turn really bad very quickly. That is a LOT of money for a pitcher with a lot of miles and one who has had some bad seasons recently.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 07:13 PM)
What position was that? The trade was between two teams at the bottom of their division. It was just a bad trade for White Sox.

Declaring that you're a competitive team even when you're not, and desperate to prove to the world you really are competitive no matter the price, because you told the world you would be.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 06:45 PM)
Another way of looking at this is they waited for the market to come to their price and struck when it did, which is exactly what I'd want the White Sox to do. They kept their farm system from going completely barren while still getting the quality of pitcher they needed, and likely extended their contention timeframe by doing so. Put another way, they won the World Series and still have arguably the best farm system in their division. It's an enviable position, and their patience played a large part in putting them there.

If the market had not come to them right when it did, would the prospects they kept have been worth the 2017 world series title?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 07:57 PM)
Declaring that you're a competitive team even when you're not, and desperate to prove to the world you really are competitive no matter the price, because you told the world you would be.

Thank you.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 08:13 PM)

hindsight is 20/20 but at the time the Sox were a surprise early contender and were 1.5 games out of the WC and 4 back in the division. It wasn't at all obvious that they were out of it and management picked the wrong lane. And Tatis Jr was a random lotto ticket. But the point really isn't how bad Shields is or how great Tatis looks the point is know where you are on your win curve and try and avoid situations like 2016 where you're not sure.