2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

Boras gets it done again, even in this market. It’s funny though that the Padres took in Dave Cameron, who put Hosmer as his #1 free agent landmine. I just don’t get it. If a contending team signed Hosmer to this it’d be questionable, but the Padres are likely going to waste two prime years of an average 1B, and this move also forces Myers back to the OF where he can’t stay healthy. Just a puzzling move.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 17, 2018 -> 11:14 PM)
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-padres-sig...-045527963.html

$144 million...first $100+ mill deal in franchise history. $18 million aav, less than Carlos Santana at $20 million. Wil Myers at $83 million was record holder until Saturday.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports...0216-story.html

He's actually getting a 5 years $105 million deal and then 3 player options totaling $39.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 04:55 PM)
Opt out after year two. I don’t remember opt outs being part of contracts until recently, when I believe Cespedes was given an opt out.

Maybe I'm wrong but the opt outs seem to be 100% In the players favor. If a player is playing well enough to.opt out, you would rather he stay.on the original contract. And if he is not playing well enough, then you are stuck with him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 05:05 PM)
Maybe I'm wrong but the opt outs seem to be 100% In the players favor. If a player is playing well enough to.opt out, you would rather he stay.on the original contract. And if he is not playing well enough, then you are stuck with him.

Depending on the age of the player, it kinda works out for the team if a player opts out. Depending on how many years they are leaving behind.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 05:05 PM)

Defin, but with a bit of discipline it can also work out for the team, like Albert Belle with the White Sox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 06:05 PM)

I have spent entirely too much time trying to convince people here and elsewhere that what you wrote is correct.

The club takes on 100% of the downside risk and gets none of the upside. If it's what it takes to get a guy to sign on the dotted line -- then sure, include it -- but it's a very big concession on the club's side and should be factored into the AAV and years on the deal.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 05:11 PM)
I have spent entirely too much time trying to convince people here and elsewhere that what you wrote is correct.

The club takes on 100% of the downside risk and gets none of the upside. If it's what it takes to get a guy to sign on the dotted line -- then sure, include it -- but it's a very big concession on the club's side and should be factored into the AAV and years on the deal.

We understand the risk for a team but sometimes you need to offer the opt-outs to entice the player. Especially if there are similar offers on the table.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 05:11 PM)

I agree. The club has all the downside. If the player plays well, the club loses him. If he plays poorly the club is stuck with him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 06:05 PM)

The only way opt outs can work in the teams favor is if they are backloaded which is the way they started with AJ Burnett, Arod, etc. Boras seems to have convinced clubs to front load deals AND still get an option.

This is why I have a hard time feeling sympathy for players because owners and Gm's are just so stupid that you know Boras will take some sucker to the cleaners. This signing was terrible but the Hosmer was the absolute worst.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 05:56 PM)
The only way opt outs can work in the teams favor is if they are backloaded which is the way they started with AJ Burnett, Arod, etc. Boras seems to have convinced clubs to front load deals AND still get an option.

This is why I have a hard time feeling sympathy for players because owners and Gm's are just so stupid that you know Boras will take some sucker to the cleaners. This signing was terrible but the Hosmer was the absolute worst.

They work out fine for a team if they take them for what they are. JDM 2 best seasons should be the first 2.if he opts out, it means the Red Sox got a pretty good deal the first 2 years. If they weren’t willing to go more than 5 years now, why, in essence, would they 2years from now? Teams letting the opt out go usually are pretty happy they did. Teams they re sign the opt out to a longer contract usually regret it.

If he has 2 great years, be happy and let him walk. Let someone else pay for the decline.

It is great for players, as if they play well enough they will get even more. But if teams are smart, it could be a good deal for them as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 08:41 PM)
They work out fine for a team if they take them for what they are. JDM 2 best seasons should be the first 2.if he opts out, it means the Red Sox got a pretty good deal the first 2 years. If they weren’t willing to go more than 5 years now, why, in essence, would they 2years from now? Teams letting the opt out go usually are pretty happy they did. Teams they re sign the opt out to a longer contract usually regret it.

If he has 2 great years, be happy and let him walk. Let someone else pay for the decline.

It is great for players, as if they play well enough they will get even more. But if teams are smart, it could be a good deal for them as well.

You do realize it's not that simple right? If he plays well and opts out the Redsox maybe happy they paid extra (probably about 10 million based on what EE got last year) but got their LF/DH for two years.

The problem is baseball is not that simple and tidy. He could play poorly or be injured for the first year he then walks away like a boss with most of his money paid upfront. Or he could have a down year or be injured for two years then opt out in year three. Or he could be a disappointment entirely and opt in for the entire duration. The point is regardless of what happens JDM is covered and will come out ahead.

The redsox absorbed a terrible amount of risk with no upside whatsoever. In fact in the best case scenario they pay a DH 50 million for two years. Which is beyond crazy.

Edited by wrathofhahn