Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
If under the 2017 pool we theoretically could continue to just blow through the spending cap, right?

No, Robert was 2016, sox are restricted this year (2017). White sox have signed 2 players in this period that we know of.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
No, Robert was 2016, sox are restricted this year (2017). White sox have signed 2 players in this period that we know of.

Sounds like a few teams with bonus pool money left will stand to benefit from the Braves cheating. Prospects benefit as well since they get to keep bonus money and double dip.

I don't see how limiting it to 2017 international bonus pools is fair to teams who are over it since they were unaware Maitan and others would be available.. hmm This should have a special rule where anyone is allowed in, but you'd ahve to pay the double tax if you're over (like how we signed Robert)

In one of the more recent BA updates they said the players would be under signing restrictions, but it didn't say international bonus pools like other earlier reports were, so I wonder if MLB is going to do something different this time. They do have the opportunity to set the precedent because the only other thing like this was the Red Sox but that was under a different international system.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
I don't see how limiting it to 2017 international bonus pools is fair to teams who are over it since they were unaware Maitan and others would be available.. hmm This should have a special rule where anyone is allowed in, but you'd ahve to pay the double tax if you're over (like how we signed Robert)

Well, going over the pool is AGAINST the rules, so I don't think the MLB cares at all if some teams wish they had more warning. The MLB would just say "then don't break the rules next time."

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
Ben Badler

@BenBadler

Another Braves update: The players who received their top four signing bonuses in 2016 will become free agents. bit.ly/2hTLUDk

From that article:

The players will have restrictions on their free agency. BA will update the list of players removed from the organization and the rules regarding their next contracts as that information becomes available.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Ben Badler

@BenBadler

Another Braves update: The players who received their top four signing bonuses in 2016 will become free agents. bit.ly/2hTLUDk

Grab any of them and I'll be happy. This was the perfect time to be able to only spend up to $300k on one player. I'm glad they went all out on Robert last period.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Ben Badler

@BenBadler

Big blow to the Braves. All four players have already advanced to playing in North America.

Major League Baseball informed multiple Braves international signings today that they will become free agents, multiple sources told Baseball America. Those players include shortstop Kevin Maitan, catcher Abrahan Gutierrez, second baseman Yunior Severino and righthander Juan Contreras, who received the Braves’ top four signing bonuses in their 2016 class.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
We aren't in play here right? Since we can only offer 300k.. or can we go over? Is this a special case? I'm confused lol

All teams are limited to spending what is left in their bonus pools AND teams that have spending restrictions due to exceeding caps in 2015 or 2016 signing periods are still subject to those caps.

So yes we are limited to $300k per kid assuming we have that much left to spend.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
We aren't in play here right? Since we can only offer 300k.. or can we go over? Is this a special case? I'm confused lol

Short answer, we don't know. Safe bet: they will be put in the 2017 pool which we can only spend 300k.

Does that mean we have no chance? Hard to know, this will be a strange market. A runner up to Otani will have probably increased their available space and will have most money to offer. But maybe we are able to sign some of the non Maitans, maybe Maitan has some different criteria he's looking for.

We'll have no idea. I'd say we have a much better shot at Maitan than Otani!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
All teams are limited to spending what is left in their bonus pools AND teams that have spending restrictions due to exceeding caps in 2015 or 2016 signing periods are still subject to those caps.

So yes we are limited to $300k per kid assuming we have that much left to spend.

We might not be. I don't know how to embed a tweet, but Badler said this a little while ago:

There are going to be a bunch of different rules regarding when these players can sign, what counts against the bonus pools, which bonus pools are affected, etc.

With the new international system in place, the precedent set with the Red Sox doesn't really matter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Short answer, we don't know. Safe bet: they will be put in the 2017 pool which we can only spend 300k.

Does that mean we have no chance? Hard to know, this will be a strange market. A runner up to Otani will have probably increased their available space and will have most money to offer. But maybe we are able to sign some of the non Maitans, maybe Maitan has some different criteria he's looking for.

We'll have no idea. I'd say we have a much better shot at Maitan than Otani!

I think opposite actually (not that I believe either is likely).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
We might not be. I don't know how to embed a tweet, but Badler said this a little while ago:

With the new international system in place, the precedent set with the Red Sox doesn't really matter.

Badlers tweet makes me feel a little better about our chances.. Let's hope for a change

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
Joel Sherman‏Verified account @Joelsherman1 18m18 minutes ago Joel Sherman Retweeted MLB Trade Rumors

If it matters, it is going to be more than 4 prospects made free

This is good news. The more players made the available, the better chance we have of landing one for $300k.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Article is paywalled, but interesting to note.

Baseball America‏Verified account @BaseballAmerica

2h2 hours ago

As Kevin Maitan hits the market again, he's going to be a tough player for teams to evaluate because his pro reports vary pretty distinctly from his glowing amateur reports.

Hopefully all the teams with money left don't think he is worth much haha