The Sexual Assault problem

Brian

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
But your quote is saying this is an example of someone taking offense to something that is due to a misunderstanding.

"Take something the wrong way".

You are correct that I should not have demeaned your personal experience, but your thread seemed to be that something like this "happens" so it shouldn't be punished. But it should! And maybe we don't know the appropriate punishment for it yet (resignation), but that's only because people didn't feel it was worth talking about.

That said I think he should resign. He has the opportunity to defend himself to frivelous claims, but his first defense was that it happened but he didn't think it was that bad.

And I hear you. I'm working through and processing all of this myself. My positions, as I do that, may likely be inconsistent, confused, and jumbled. I haven't released a position statement here that I have to stick with. My biggest concern right now is the latter part of that original post you quoted. Men who have made mistakes but are fighting to improve women's lives, healthcare, respect, etc, through policy should be treated differently than those who make mistakes, don't take responsibility, don't apologize, and CONTINUE to push agendas that demean and hurt women and their rights.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
I think everyone should read this prior to deciding whether or not he should retire. WaPo Op-Ed. We should listen to women, IMO.

I'm a feminist, and I study rape culture, and I don't want Al Franken to resign.

Before jumping to that point...I want to see what else comes out about him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
What does "as a performer" mean. Like, while you were on stage performing?

If you were at work and a coworker was grabbing your ass and kissing you against your will then yes that is wrong. But given your tendencies to welcome any interaction with those you perceive as "in industry", I'm guessing the moral of the story is you loved it.

Wtf?

It really undermines your politics when you treat people you encounter regularly in this fashion.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
I think everyone should read this prior to deciding whether or not he should retire. WaPo Op-Ed. We should listen to women, IMO.

I'm a feminist, and I study rape culture, and I don't want Al Franken to resign.

Yea I don't agree with that Op-ed, and I really don't agree with this:

In other words, if we set this precedent in the interest of demonstrating our party’s solidarity with harassed and abused women, we’re only going to drain the swamp of people who, however flawed, still regularly vote to protect women’s rights and freedoms.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
As a performer, I've had my ass grabbed by more women than I can count, and I've even been kissed a couple of times. Thoughts?

The question is ... did you feel violated? Did you mind? Did it cause you angst or distress at any time? If so you have the right to call out those who did it to you and out them on Twitter and claim you were assaulted. That's my take. If you didn't mind, well, I don't see the big deal.

As far as whether I'd mind if that happened to me? Don't know. I'm not a performer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
So why doesn't someone just re-write the accusations against POTUS as news and we can take him down? I mean, he grabs p*****s.

I haven't seen a politician drop out or resign because of these allegations. The people "taken down" are being taken down because they'll lose their employers/investors money if they remain.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
John Conyers, the ranking member on the House Judiciary committee, apparently has a long history of harassment including settlements.

Paid out of his campaign funds too.

edit: sorry, his office budget, not campaign funds. Still, taxpayer money, not his personal money.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
John Conyers, the ranking member on the House Judiciary committee, apparently has a long history of harassment including settlements.

He's flatly denying ever having settled a sexual harassment claim. The source of the documents supplied to Buzzfeed was right-wing social media guy Mike Cernovich, who originally rose to prominence promoting "Pizzagate" nonsense, so I guess it's wait-and-see if the claims are legitimate.

e: but also according to Buzzfeed, sometimes the members aren't notified when there's a settlement (paid out of taxpayer funds)? The whole system in Congress seems extremely bad.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
He's flatly denying ever having settled a sexual harassment claim. The source of the documents supplied to Buzzfeed was right-wing social media guy Mike Cernovich, who originally rose to prominence promoting "Pizzagate" nonsense, so I guess it's wait-and-see if the claims are legitimate.

Looks like the verified what they received:

BuzzFeed spoke with four people involved with the case, including the unnamed accuser, and obtained four signed affidavits from the complaint. The outlet initially obtained the documents from Mike Cernovich, the pro-Donald Trump conspiracy theorist who helped catapult the debunked “Pizzagate” theory, but said it confirmed their provenance independently.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-c...4b0bfa88c1ca584

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Not sure if you can read that. But this system is so ridiculous that claims can be settled without the accused even knowing there was a settlement. It is to provide plausible deniability.

Needs to be blown up.

Jenks - more eye-popping than the campaign funds was one settlement that used the offices own budget to provide 3 additional months pay to the victim. It would be hard to identify these instances, as it looks like payroll.

Agree with Josh Barro on this, and Congresswoman Jackie Speier, open up the Congressional Settlement fund to public eyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/congress-se...-public-2017-11

In one instance, BuzzFeed reports a former employee in Conyers' office received a settlement paid out of the office's regular budget. In exchange for signing a confidentiality agreement, she received three months' pay, totaling just over $27,000, after she had already left the office.

Think about this. To anyone reviewing the office's budget, this would look like a normal payroll expense. How much money is being secretly diverted from the regular business of congressional offices to pay settlements we don't even know about, to cover up misbehavior that we would be interested to know about?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
Jenks - more eye-popping than the campaign funds was one settlement that used the offices own budget to provide 3 additional months pay to the victim. It would be hard to identify these instances, as it looks like payroll.

Agree with Josh Barro on this, and Congresswoman Jackie Speier, open up the Congressional Settlement fund to public eyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/congress-se...-public-2017-11

Damn, thats creepy as hell.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
What a crazy ripple effect. Think about it, it started with Rapp "yea, im not really a fan of Kevin Spacey" and just spiraled out

I think Ronan Farrow's incredible Weinstein story and follow-ups that showed how the system was used was more influential.