Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

a front loaded abreu extension with two more years of control makes sense to me too!

really think the payroll flexibility should yield more prospects by taking on bad one year deals.

if you want to eat a big, long deal like Ellsbury , would need to receive 2 maybe 3 top prospects, just can't see Yankees doing that.

I.e. how much would people pay for Chance Adams if he was posted like Luis Robert? Not 50 mil, you'd need to receive 3 chance Adams for the favor of sitting Ellsbury on the bench

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
People keeping throwing McMahon out there but that guy is going nowhere unless Arenado signs an extension soon.

Why? No one here thinks he can play 3B, so why would him staying or going depend on Arenado? McMahon+ for Abreu makes sense of they see their contention window as being right now, which they should if they want to keep Arenado.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
Just to be clear, this isn't a contest to determine who can field an MLB team with the lowest payroll.

We can pay some people.

Lower payroll in 2018 = more money to spend in 2019. If the White Sox land Manny Machado because they have a lower payroll this year, it's worth it. Besides, there's a chance the White Sox could get the best free agent of this offseason for $300K.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Why? No one here thinks he can play 3B, so why would him staying or going depend on Arenado? McMahon+ for Abreu makes sense of they see their contention window as being right now, which they should if they want to keep Arenado.

Lower payroll in 2018 = more money to spend in 2019. If the White Sox land Manny Machado because they have a lower payroll this year, it's worth it. Besides, there's a chance the White Sox could get the best free agent of this offseason for $300K.

We're all scouts now?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
I'm just messing. Has time to improve I guess. But it doesn't seem like 1B is locked down for the Rox long term either.

Which would be solved by Abreu. If they're trying to win now, Abreu makes sense. If they're not, they should and probably will hang on to McMahon.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Which would be solved by Abreu. If they're trying to win now, Abreu makes sense. If they're not, they should and probably will hang on to McMahon.

The key word in my previous comment was "long term." But yeah, I think they end up hanging onto McMahon.

Random note: it would be awesome if Michalczewski broke out next year.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
a front loaded abreu extension with two more years of control makes sense to me too!

really think the payroll flexibility should yield more prospects by taking on bad one year deals.

if you want to eat a big, long deal like Ellsbury , would need to receive 2 maybe 3 top prospects, just can't see Yankees doing that.

I.e. how much would people pay for Chance Adams if he was posted like Luis Robert? Not 50 mil, you'd need to receive 3 chance Adams for the favor of sitting Ellsbury on the bench

An Abreu deal can't be front loaded. He still has two arb years left.

Hasn't he hit 30 homers and driven in 100 the last 4 years? He should be worshiped by our fans instead modern baseball ... "trade him! He might not continue doing this well. Besides he's a bad defender and not that good!!"

Hate to tell ya ... unless he's been lying about his age he still in theory will be productive during our 3-4 year window of possible WS titles.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Hasn't he hit 30 homers and driven in 100 the last 4 years? He should be worshiped by our fans instead modern baseball ... "trade him! He might not continue doing this well. Besides he's a bad defender and not that good!!"

Hate to tell ya ... unless he's been lying about his age he still in theory will be productive during our 3-4 year window of possible WS titles.

Dude no one is saying trade him for those reasons you list above.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
Dude no one is saying trade him for those reasons you list above.

Gregg likes to ignore the facts to make s*** up as he goes along to support his whiny narrative. ;)

Hahn and the front office think the Sox next window won't begin until 2020. That puts Abreu beyond his current contract and at age 33. Abreu could be a player that ages well, then again he may not.

Honestly, I think it would be better for the Sox and Abreu to trade him to a contender now. Sox get a few more prospects and Abreu gets a shot at playing post season baseball in 2018/19.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)
Gregg likes to ignore the facts to make s*** up as he goes along to support his whiny narrative. ;)

Hahn and the front office think the Sox next window won't begin until 2020. That puts Abreu beyond his current contract and at age 33. Abreu could be a player that ages well, then again he may not.

Honestly, I think it would be better for the Sox and Abreu to trade him to a contender now. Sox get a few more prospects and Abreu gets a shot at playing post season baseball in 2018/19.

If Abreu would take a 4 year deal I'd sign him to it. I don't know that he would.

It's probably been stated in another thread ( that I've yet to see ) but the reported payroll for us in 2018 is ~75 million. Current commitments with arbitration estimates and league minimum projected players filling out our 25 man is 57 million.

Leaves us with 18 million to put together a bullpen, sign a "hope to flip" starting pitcher, and go dumpster diving later in the offseason hoping to catch some lightning in a bottle.

2018 will be an interesting year. We'll have a LOT to follow in the entire franchise.

w00t w00t.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
And while I think the mentorship role is important, I also think having him a key member of the team is important towards recruiting high-end free agents next offseason.

Sox have players who can assume the mentorship role and a manager who can communicate with anyone.

Abreu is a good player, and I agree with you on recruiting free agents...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
Sure. But the money is fairly limited because they are arbitration and not free agent years. The Sox won't destroy the system for an extension.

Is there some rule that says that a player in arb years can't sign a frontloaded deal? I can't imagine the MLBPA allowing it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 02:37 AM)

Yet some of the guys that you guys want us to sign will be just as old as Abreu. I just wonder why I've got to be the guy who is always defending our players. Nobody else as far as I can read here is as mad/passionate at me in defending players. Who else out there is incensed at the idea of not having Abreu around for our WS contending years? Let me know.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)
Yet some of the guys that you guys want us to sign will be just as old as Abreu. I just wonder why I've got to be the guy who is always defending our players. Nobody else as far as I can read here is as mad/passionate at me in defending players. Who else out there is incensed at the idea of not having Abreu around for our WS contending years? Let me know.

Show me where I have advocated signing position players as old as Abreu. I'll save you the trouble, that post does not exist. The two players I've said the Sox could look into signing are Manny Machado or Bryce Harper next winter,. Both of whom will be just 26 years old and fit much better into the contention window that's expected to begin in 2020 when those players will be just 28 and Abreu 33. You do understand simple mathematics, don't you?

Again, you ignore the facts and spitball your usual bulls***.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 11:16 PM)
Show me where I have advocated signing position players as old as Abreu. I'll save you the trouble, that post does not exist. The two players I've said the Sox could look into signing are Manny Machado or Bryce Harper next winter,. Both of whom will be just 26 years old and fit much better into the contention window that's expected to begin in 2020 when those players will be just 28 and Abreu 33. You do understand simple mathematics, don't you?

Again, you ignore the facts and spitball your usual bulls***.

Don't feed the bears and take a chill pill man. You're getting pretty worked up for no reason.

*cough* Donaldson is more realistic for us IMO *cough*

Just spread the love man - even with the greggypoo

:wub:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 02:23 AM)
Here's a publications response to the same question posed in this thread - sand free agent signings and trades:

https://theloopsports.com/2017/11/08/white-...ing-day-roster/

Still worth a skim, IMO.

Interesting read and thanks for posting. If Cordell and Delmonico have a good ST, I think Cordell takes LF and Delmonico shares DH/1B with Abreu. No way I would sit Delmonico to put Davidson in the lineup.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 02:25 AM)
Don't feed the bears and take a chill pill man. You're getting pretty worked up for no reason.

*cough* Donaldson is more realistic for us IMO *cough*

Just spread the love man - even with the greggypoo

:wub:

Ball buster! :P