And more pitching to come BA

LDF

CHICAGO–Pitching has been the focus of four of the last five White Sox drafts. Thirty-eight of 57 players selected in the first 10 rounds were pitchers.

While many top picks won’t pan out, such disappointment is often offset by lower-round bargains. It’s going to be hard to find a bigger one than Mark Buehrle, who was a 38th-round draft-and-follow in 1998, but the Sox have identified a couple of candidates in righthander Brian Miller and lefthander Daniel Haigwood.

Miller, 20, won a team-high seven games and compiled a 4.30 ERA to help Rookie-level Bristol win the Appalachian League title. He added velocity on his fastball, jumping into the mid-90s, and improved his change–a plus pitch for him at Charlotte (Mich.) High. He had wild streaks but didn’t often beat himself.

"He’s as good as any young pitcher we have," farm director Bob Fontaine said. "He’s got power stuff. He went out in the Appalachian League and dominated some people."

Miller’s also tough. Scouting director Doug Laumann says when Fontaine went to see Miller pitch before the 2001 draft, Miller knocked himself unconscious in a collision with a post. A few minutes later he was back on the mound.

The Sox landed Miller with a 20th-round pick. He had been Michigan’s top high school pitcher but slid because of his asking price and a commitment to Michigan State.

Haigwood, 19, won a team-high eight games for the Rookie-level Arizona League squad. He had a 2.28 ERA and a strikeout-walk ratio of almost 3-1. "He knows how to pitch," Fontaine said.

Haigwood went 43-1 at Midland High in Pleasant Plains, Ark. He had never lost before the semifinals of the 2002 state tournament. Laumann says Haigwood’s fastball looked like 90 mph to him because of natural deception, though it was usually clocked in the mid-80s.

"He was overpowering guys with an 85-86 mile an hour fastball," Laumann said. "A lot of times we scouts just fill out the gun readings. But as the season progressed he was consistently 87-89, and he’s still got great deception."

Well, Miller, with a 4.30 ERA at A ball, doesnt look like much but this guy Haigwood could be a pleasant surprise. Hes at a good age for the rookie league but that means he wont be here for five years atleast. But he had good stats and from what you say LDF his speed seems to be progressing...

I'd assume Double-A.

He'll probably start there, and pending his progress, MAY go to Charlotte. I bet they will keep him in Birmingham the full season, then start him off at Charlotte in 2004.

I don't think they are going to rush him though, but rather take it slow, something I would be prefer.

When it comes to Sox pitching prospects Id say the top five are:

1. Rauch

2. Honel

3. Ring

4. Diaz

5. Almonte

Strumm, West and Malone I used to think were going to be good but theyve slowly faded out of the picture while guys like Stewart and Sanders are rising thru the levels...

Originally posted by theoldroman

1. Rauch

2. Honel

3. Ring

4. Diaz

5. Almonte

Strumm, West and Malone I used to think were going to be good but theyve slowly faded out of the picture while guys like Stewart and Sanders are rising thru the levels...

i think the 5 pit prosp we have is and i am not adding rauch in that group.

1. honel

2. i truely hope diaz pans out.

3. malone, he will make the club if he gets the control prob under control.

4. i am extremely excited about haigwood(sp) this is guy is going to be something.

5. tie, strumm and munoz. i like strumm stuff IF he doesn't get hurt again. munoz is very intriguing if he can get stronger and go beyond the 50 pit count without running out of gas. but maybe he will make it as a rp.. ummm

Well, it is a tough choice, given all the depth we have in our farm system. If I left Rauch out Id say Malone would be the fifth man. I really like Malone and I really hope he pans out. I hope all of these guys pan out. As for Haigwood, Ive never heard of him before today and he is really low down there so Im not getting my hopes up for him yet. But I wish him luck...

Originally posted by Molto

I'd assume Double-A.

He'll probably start there, and pending his progress, MAY go to Charlotte.  I bet they will keep him in Birmingham the full season, then start him off at Charlotte in 2004.

I don't think they are going to rush him though, but rather take it slow, something I would be prefer.

He'll start in Birmingham, most likely, although he didn't have much time in high A ball so they could start him their. He won't see AAA this year though.

He may get a shot next year at the main club, but he won't see AAA till next year, most likely.

1. Rauch

2. Honel

3. Ring

4. Diaz

5. Almonte

Rauch isn't exactly a prospect...he's had considerable time at the major league level....about 2 months worth....or in other words, a third of a season.

My top 5 are:

1. Honel

2. Malone

3. Diaz

4. Stewart

5. Almonte & Munoz

Honel has the most upside, Malone is the next closest thing we have to becoming a full time starter in the minors, Diaz has wicked good stuff and is Pedro-like(though injury prone), Stewart is a good lefty pitcher that can start and relieve, but will do what is right for the team when he comes up, and Almonte and Munoz tie because Almonte is a good righty relief prospect and Munoz is a good lefty....both have a lot of upside as being solid bullpen pitchers, though Munoz could be a pretty good starter, assuming he has 4 good pitches(maybe a changeup, two fastballs and his curve, or maybe a change, a fastball, a curve ball and a slider...something like that). I am really looking forward to watching these guys pitch at the big league level.

Originally posted by witesoxfan

1. Rauch

2. Honel

3. Ring

4. Diaz

5. Almonte

Rauch isn't exactly a prospect...he's had considerable time at the major league level....about 2 months worth....or in other words, a third of a season.

My top 5 are:

1. Honel

2. Malone

3. Diaz

4. Stewart

5. Almonte & Munoz

Honel has the most upside, Malone is the next closest thing we have to becoming a full time starter in the minors, Diaz has wicked good stuff and is Pedro-like(though injury prone), Stewart is a good lefty pitcher that can start and relieve, but will do what is right for the team when he comes up, and Almonte and Munoz tie because Almonte is a good righty relief prospect and Munoz is a good lefty....both have a lot of upside as being solid bullpen pitchers, though Munoz could be a pretty good starter, assuming he has 4 good pitches(maybe a changeup, two fastballs and his curve, or maybe a change, a fastball, a curve ball and a slider...something like that). I am really looking forward to watching these guys pitch at the big league level.

munoz has a off the table falling curve ball that is just wicked. his prob is not getting another pit, but building up some strength to go 100+ pit which he can't do.

ref to honel. he is the next real prospect in the minors. taking nothing away from malone.