Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 08:27 PM)
Well there are a bunch of insanely expensive or mediocre dh/1b types available. Sullivan over at FG said he thinks Abreu has more trade value than Stanton, given Stantons contract and the all important opt out.

Exactly. The market has a few guys you gotta pay 100-200M for. Abreu's value is way UP because the only other options are huge overpays for mediocrity. 2 years for under $40M in a playoff window allows a team way more flexibility. Those beat writers are either idiots or they think they have some kind of sway to drive his value down.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a fangraphs chat: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-a...ark-chat-12517/

Anthony: Who says no?? Jose Abreu for Michael Chavis/Mike Shawayrn/Bobby Dalbec

Paul Swydan: Neither team? Seems fair to me.

Jeff Zimmerman: It’s OK

Paul Swydan: I guess if you’re forcing me to pick I’ll say the White Sox say no, and want the 2nd and 3rd pieces upgraded.

How would you guys feel about that deal?

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 11:50 PM)
From a fangraphs chat: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-a...ark-chat-12517/

How would you guys feel about that deal?

I am not a fan of that deal, or Red Sox prospects in general right now. Chavis' numbers really came back to earth after he got promoted to AA.

If that is the best deal on the table I think we keep Abreu.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
I am not a fan of that deal, or Red Sox prospects in general right now. Chavis' numbers really came back to earth after he got promoted to AA.

If that is the best deal on the table I think we keep Abreu.

Then the only question I have left to ask is...what are you going to do to make sure Abreu doesn't walk after 2019?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Then the only question I have left to ask is...what are you going to do to make sure Abreu doesn't walk after 2019?

Barring any major changes, I find that very unlikely. He seems to express his desire to stay in Chicago for life every time he's interviewed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)

I shop him hard this offseason (and Avi), but would be prepared to not trade him if the right deal does not present itself. Ideal situation is that we find a trade fit for both of them soon.

If trades do not happen we revisit trying to deal each of them at the deadline or next offseason.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Barring any major changes, I find that very unlikely. He seems to express his desire to stay in Chicago for life every time he's interviewed.

Then tell me how to make sure it doesn't happen and I won't complain. A contract extension could be appropriate. As it stands right now, I'm looking at my "to be ready to compete in 2020" team having their #4 and #5 hitters potentially walk as free agents.

If he won't sign a contract extension then that undermines the latter part, and I have to look at filling that position somehow. It's the right time to get something done, if he won't extend then he's worth more in a trade right now than he will be next offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
Then tell me how to make sure it doesn't happen and I won't complain. A contract extension could be appropriate. As it stands right now, I'm looking at my "to be ready to compete in 2020" team having their #4 and #5 hitters potentially walk as free agents.

If he won't sign a contract extension then that undermines the latter part, and I have to look at filling that position somehow. It's the right time to get something done, if he won't extend then he's worth more in a trade right now than he will be next offseason.

I think his comment implies extension.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)

I think if we put a decent 3 to 5 year deal in front of him, he would sign it. Everything you hear is how much he likes it here, and how much he is liked here. Even if his bat fades at the end of a deal, his money wouldn't cripple the team where they would be in the rebuild and overall salary structure. Plus even if he does fade, he is still like having another coach on the bench and the kids seem to love him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
I think his comment implies extension.

That was my intention, sorry if I was unclear.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
I think if we put a decent 3 to 5 year deal in front of him, he would sign it. Everything you hear is how much he likes it here, and how much he is liked here. Even if his bat fades at the end of a deal, his money wouldn't cripple the team where they would be in the rebuild and overall salary structure. Plus even if he does fade, he is still like having another coach on the bench and the kids seem to love him.

I agree. I think something like 4/80 or 5/95 would get it done.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
That was my intention, sorry if I was unclear.

I agree. I think something like 4/80 or 5/95 would get it done.

I do not see the point one bit at extending him if it is going to cost that much.. Can someone give me a reason why extending a 33 year old 1st basement for 20 million makes sense? Just wait till his contract is up and extend him then if he is producing at 20 mil a year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)

I think the front office is smart enough to realize paying retail for a mid 30's first baseman is not a great idea.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
I do not see the point one bit at extending him if it is going to cost that much.. Can someone give me a reason why extending a 33 year old 1st basement for 20 million makes sense? Just wait till his contract is up and extend him then if he is producing at 20 mil a year

He's 30.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
I think the front office is smart enough to realize paying retail for a mid 30's first baseman is not a great idea.

Then we need to make that call and move him now. He will be worth substantially less in a trade next offseason with only 1 year remaining. If we want someone who is "younger or better" to be patrolling 1b in 2020 when we have a competitive team, we'll be better off taking the best players we can get for him now.

Either commit and say that we will pay that price for his early 30's, the years when we will be ready to compete, or move him to a team that can get value out of his 2018 and 2019 seasons.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)

TBH, I don't worry about a skill set like Abreu's as much as I do one who is built on defense and/or speed. Guys who profile like Abreu are better bets to keep on hitting. I put him more into the JD Martinez/Melky camp.

The deal would start now. Not when he is 33.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
TBH, I don't worry about a skill set like Abreu's as much as I do one who is built on defense and/or speed. Guys who profile like Abreu are better bets to keep on hitting. I put him more into the JD Martinez/Melky camp.

The possibility of extension is our leverage in trade negotiations, as we could keep Abreu unless we get a good return. That does not mean we necessarily have to extend him, just that we have a year to make that choice.

Abreu is not going to sign a 2 year deal when he hits free agency if he’s still producing. So if you think you might want him around in 2020 & 2021, either extend him now through his age 34 season or be prepared to lock him up until he’s 36 and when money becomes more constrained.