White Sox sign Matt Skole

southsider2k5

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/mino...c97hbTiqzDtm.97

Chicago White Sox

Signed: 1B Matt Skole

With the signing of 28-year-old minor league free agent Matt Skole, the White Sox continue to stockpile first base types. Skole signed with the Nationals out of Georgia Tech as a 2011 fifth-rounder, and he won the MVP award in the low Class A South Atlantic League in 2012.

Chicago previously acquired Casey Gillaspie from the Rays in a July trade for Dan Jennings and also claimed D.J. Peterson on waivers from the Mariners in August. The White Sox then tried to sneak Peterson through waivers in September and lost him to the Reds.

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/mino...Wk6V2F3YrftR.99

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
Seems like the Sox will be holding open tryouts for 1B/DH in Spring Training.....

I don't know where you get that. I feel like Abreu and Delmonico are set to have those roles, maybe with Davidson (if he isn't traded) and Cordell DHing every now and then.

I think they're just stockpiling on AA/AAA 1B since Delmonico, Gillaspie, etc. will be lost to the MLB team.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
They also claimed Daniel Palka a few days ago.

Given the chatter around Abreu the last 48 hours, I'm starting to buy into the fact the Sox are preparing for a 2018 without Abreu at 1B

Same here. They have about half a dozen guys that fit the exact same mold.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
They also claimed Daniel Palka a few days ago.

Given the chatter around Abreu the last 48 hours, I’m starting to buy into the fact the Sox are preparing for a 2018 without Abreu at 1B

Or they’re simply making sure they have depth in the event they decide to move him. Never hurts to be prepared. Plus we have a DH spot currently wide open which Gillaspie could claim with a strong spring. Doesn’t hurt to have some fall back options in AAA.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
I don't know where you get that. I feel like Abreu and Delmonico are set to have those roles, maybe with Davidson (if he isn't traded) and Cordell DHing every now and then.

I think they're just stockpiling on AA/AAA 1B since Delmonico, Gillaspie, etc. will be lost to the MLB team.

Delmonico hopefully will be the everyday LF. He has the athleticism to be solid there in time.

Maybe Seth Beer is the future at 1B for the White Sox.

I know he has seemed to struggle with wooden bats, and you aren't supposed to take a probable 1b/DH type that high, but if he hits like a lot of people thought a year ago, he's a no brainer.

One thing I would be doing with Jose right now is making sure he knows if he is traded, it is only because short term, winning isn't an option, and that in a couple of years, when he has an opportunity to decide where he wants to play again, the White Sox are home to him. I would make sure he was updated on any possible movement. Every little thing to know he is a valued player and person, but the timing presently isn't correct, and you are doing him a favor sending him to a place where he can win, acquiring pieces he can play with when he returns.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
These guys are Andy Wilkins-esque. There's a better chance Ohtani is the starting DH on opening day for the White Sox than these minor leaguers making an impact.

If Avi and Abreu are dealt, there will be at least a couple of these kind of guys who play this year for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
If Avi and Abreu are dealt, there will be at least a couple of these kind of guys who play this year for sure.

You'd have Gillaspie at first if he is good in the spring, Davidson at DH (which is likely right now), Cordell in RF.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
You'd have Gillaspie at first if he is good in the spring, Davidson at DH (which is likely right now), Cordell in RF.

Assuming all of them are successful AND healthy? I wouldn't bet on it. Both Davidson and Cordell missed significant amounts of time last season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Assuming all of them are successful AND healthy? I wouldn't bet on it. Both Davidson and Cordell missed significant amounts of time last season.

I was just saying to POSSIBLY open up the year. Whether they could last a full year, who knows.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)

Unless you can pick 5 months in advance which one will be healthy, you clear the spots for them and then have backup plans like Matt Skole for when one of them does fail or get hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Unless you can pick 5 months in advance which one will be healthy, you clear the spots for them and then have backup plans like Matt Skole for when one of them does fail or get hurt.

Like I said, if Abreu and Avi are dealt, there will be room for all of these guys this year.