If you had to trade either Avi or Jose....

Heads22

If you had to move one of them this offseason, who would it be?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one.

• Jose
    • Avi

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
This should generate some discussion. If you had to trade one of them, at what whatever you would judge is a fair return, which would you rather move?

At what I would deem a fair return? Unquestionably Avi.

At what I think the market will pay? Abreu probably gets a return closer to his value.

Really? I'm the only one who voted for Abreu? The guy is on the wrong side of 30 and his value is as high as ever. Chances are he declines a bit and you can get him on a cheaper Edwin encarnacion type deal in the future. You trade him while his value is high, and if he earns it, you sign him when he is a FA. Hell, he will be getting a job from the white sox in the future.

Gawd you Abreuniks slay me... The Jose lovefest never ends. I like him as much as anybody, but I just don't see the point in NOT trading him when his value is high and when they can resign him if they so desire. But, spending that 20 M a year for 3-4 years youd spend on Abreu would look much nicer in a front loaded Machado contract.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
Gawd you Abreuniks slay me... The Jose lovefest never ends. I like him as much as anybody, but I just don't see the point in NOT trading him when his value is high and when they can resign him if they so desire. But, spending that 20 M a year for 3-4 years youd spend on Abreu would look much nicer in a front loaded Machado contract.

The question was "who would you rather trade?" I would rather sell high on Avi due to Jose having more of a track record.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:17 AM)
The question was "who would you rather trade?" I would rather sell high on Avi due to Jose having more of a track record.

Especially if the White Sox are receiving what we consider to be fair value in the deal, because to me, that means some team is buying into Avi as a 4 WAR RF and paying for him like he is going to be one moving forward.

Edited by Dam8610

Unless Hahn is blown away with a proposal for Abreu, he should remain with the Sox and be extended so he'd be around for the competitive years. I think Avi could be traded for a decent package now after last year's performance, and he doesn't fit as well with the plans going forward as Abreu does.

I obviously voted for Avi, but if the Sox get a haul for Abreu I would understand.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)

Why does it have to be an either or? We should have plenty of money to work with even if we extend Abreu. Also, I think you have a much better chance of convincing a free agent like Machado to sign with the Sox if you keep Abreu around. A promising young team looks a lot more attractive when it's anchored by one of the best hitters in baseball.

I prefer Abreu over Garcia, so it would sting more to see him go, but I went with Jose primarily because the return would likely be much better than anything you could hope to get for Avi. Age is the other factor at play for me. That said, if some team offers up a return for Avi that isn't crafted under the assumption that his 2017 was a fluke, then he's the guy.

Moving either of them just for the sake of moving someone won't help the rebuild.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
I prefer Abreu over Garcia, so it would sting more to see him go, but I went with Jose primarily because the return would likely be much better than anything you could hope to get for Avi. Age is the other factor at play for me. That said, if some team offers up a return for Avi that isn't crafted under the assumption that his 2017 was a fluke, then he's the guy.

Moving either of them just for the sake of moving someone won't help the rebuild.

The assumption in this vote is you are getting what you think is fair. So if you get a haul you think is fair (whatever that may be) for Avi's 2017, then that would be my vote.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
In terms of full disclosure, I would love to see Jose be a lifetime White Sox. He represents everything that you want in a face of the franchise type of player.

And he has expressed interest in playing for the White Sox for his career. I really like the idea of a 4-5 year extension, and I believe that he'd take a little less money to stay. I wouldn't argue against $20-$22 million a year average.

I chose to trade Jose for several reasons:

1) the prospect return for Jose would be more significant

2) the prospect return for Avi would be less signicant

3) Avi less likely near peak value whereas Jose has consistently shown what he is over 4 years, resulting in best opportunity to net the best return