Jeremy Reed

winninguglyin83

Reed, Cotts, Pacheco, Honel and Wing are our best hope for the future -- and I'm skeptical any of the five will be able to assist during 2004.

I'd agree with you except for Reed. He is a big darkhorse for the CF job if Everett leaves via FA.

I got a really good feeling about Reed. Its very rare for me to believe highly in a rookie. I don't think you should ever expect a rookie to come in and dominate, but if I would pick any to do so for the Sox it would be Reed.

The kid has a great discipline, great speed, a smooth swing and he seems to get better as he faces better players. The big thing is, he isn't gonna get himself out.

i'm anxious to see him play -- and to see how he performs for Team USA.

Only thing that concerns me is the player he is most often compared to is Mark Kotsay.

Kotsay is decent, but nothing truly special.

Like to see the Sox have a special centerfielder for a good run.

I was just going to post that there should be no alarm sound if he struggles this fall. This was his first full season and I know he was tired at the end of the regular season. That many games takes a toll on the body and could affect a guy who has never been through the grind.

Also, keep in mind, that Reed very well could project to be a Mark Kotsay type. I think his numbers will be better, but hitting .290ish with around 10 HR and 65-70 rbi with a good number of walks wouldn't be all bad. Obviously we hope for better than that, but hitting out of the two-hole (where I think he is ideally suited at this point) those wouldn't be numbers to sneeze at. Especially if he was solid defensively in CF.

International ball probably will be tough for him, considering this is his first full pro season. The experience of seeing more new pitchers has to help, regardless of the stats he posts.

My concern about the Kotsay comparisions is that Kotsay has already started to decline. His strikeouts have been above 80 the last two seasons. His OBP percentage has declined in consecutive seasons and he's no longer stealing many bases. As an AL guy, I haven't really seen much of Kotsay in the field.

Don't really like the comparison game.

I'd love to see Reed hit second, take charge in centerfield and be a solid hitter with high walk totals and the ability to steal a strategic base. Not that concerned about HRs. Gap power is fine. I've seen too much feast or famine the last three seasons.

More excited about him than I've ever been about Borchard because Borchard's strikeout totals have always been a monstrous alarm.

The type of hitter and numbers that I think of when I see Reed is Mark Grace. Or in other words, I think he will be a patient line drive hitter with good gap power. I could see Reed putting up numbers like this in his prime:

.290-.310/10-15/70-80 90-100 runs 30-35 2B 70-80 BB 50-60 SO 20-30 SB .370-.390 OBP .420-.440 SLG .800-.820 OPS

This is exactly the type of hitter/player the current Sox need. They need to get away from the one-dimensional power hitters and find more complete players like Reed. The one advantage that Reed will have over a player like Grace is speed. IF Reed continues to develop I also believe that he will be a perfect #2 hitter. I dont see Reed as a Super Star, but an above average hard working player that could make an AS team or 2 with a fewer above average years. I have always been a Reed supporter, and told Sox fans that follow the minors to keep an eye on him this year, although I could have never guessed he would have put up the numbers he did. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in a Sox uniform in the near future(after a little seasoning at AAA to start off next year).

The type of hitter and numbers that I think of when I see Reed is Mark Grace. Or in other words, I think he will be a patient line drive hitter with good gap power. I could see Reed putting up numbers like this in his prime:

.290-.310/10-15/70-80 90-100 runs 30-35 2B 70-80 BB 50-60 SO 20-30 SB .370-.390 OBP .420-.440 SLG .800-.820 OPS

This is exactly the type of hitter/player the current Sox need. They need to get away from the one-dimensional power hitters and find more complete players like Reed. The one advantage that Reed will have over a player like Grace is speed. IF Reed continues to develop I also believe that he will be a perfect #2 hitter. I dont see Reed as a Super Star, but an above average hard working player that could make an AS team or 2 with a fewer above average years. I have always been a Reed supporter, and told Sox fans that follow the minors to keep an eye on him this year, although I could have never guessed he would have put up the numbers he did. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in a Sox uniform in the near future(after a little seasoning at AAA to start off next year).

Those numbers don't seem too far-fetched. Might be a bit of a stretch on the SB's.

I really think he will develop more power down the road, but we're talking 3-5 years from now. I see him ending up in the 20+ HR category. But I do think at least until then, the two-hole is the perfect spot in the order.

I hope we all aren't building up how good Jeremy Reed is going to be. He hasn't even played above AA ball yet and ppl r already pencilling him in as our Center Fielder for 2004. I still think he's gonna be one hell of a playa and an asset for us, but I hope every1 ain't puttin too much pressure on da kid. It's one thing to perform in da minors, its a whole different story to perform in da majors.

Like to see the Sox have a special centerfielder for a good run.

They were about to have one - Anthony Webster. :(

Yeah maybe in 3 or 4 years if he even makes it to the show. The guy has a lot of raw ability but that doesn't mean a thing if you don't produce. Its not like he has exactly torn up the minors this year. He was hitting about .290 with no power when we traded him to the Rangers.

Webster has tools, but he is miles away from Reed in terms of being a prospect.

After he went to Texas, he hit .270 in about 75 at bats with minimal power. Also failed to draw a single walk with Texas Class A team. Not one.

He can run and has hit. But there is no guarantee he'll make it to the big leagues, and if he does make it, he could be good or he could be Tom Goodwin.

After he went to Texas, he hit .270 in about 75 at bats with minimal power. Also failed to draw a single walk with Texas Class A team. Not one.

He can run and has hit. But there is no guarantee he'll make it to the big leagues, and if he does make it, he could be good or he could be Tom Goodwin.

I understand that Webster was a long way and certainly no guarantee. I also applaud the deal KW made that resulted in giving him up. However, I would still rather have him in the system now than not. Too bad losing him didn't pay off for us this year.

I understand that Webster was a long way and certainly no guarantee. I also applaud the deal KW made that resulted in giving him up. However, I would still rather have him in the system now than not. Too bad losing him didn't pay off for us this year.

If Webster can learn to draw walks and develop power (A big ??) then he could turn into something. Right now I think he was overhyped and the Sox held onto the better outfield prospects. Plus they have such depth at that position now, albeit most of it is at the lower levels.