Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 02:21 AM)
Someone at work asked me if I would take Rafael Devers for Abreu straight up. I thought it was an interesting question.

There is no way in hell the Sox turn that offer down. Zero.

There is also no way the Red Sox make that offer. I'd be absolutely astonished.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Why would we care who Abreu/Avi potentially got traded to? By the time we are in our window they will be free agents anyway. Why limit our trading partners?

Exactly. Trading him to the Red Sox in 2018 just means the Red Sox would have to pony up FA money in 2020. Which they might do anyway, whether or not he's already a Red Sox.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
2B & 3B are now open for them. Carlos Sanchez could make some sense for them if they don't feel comfortable going all in on Torres & Andujar next year.

That would be fine, but what do you really think the Sox could get for Sanchez? I'm guessing nothing too interesting.

The New York Yankees have traded third baseman Chase Headley and right-hander Bryan Mitchell to the San Diego Padres for outfielder Jabari Blash, a source confirmed to ESPN's Andrew Marchand on Tuesday.

In addition, the Padres have agreed to pay the $13 million owed to Headley for the 2018 season, according to the reports.

Link

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
That would be fine, but what do you really think the Sox could get for Sanchez? I'm guessing nothing too interesting.

Hard to say, but 2.5 WAR infielders until control for another four seasons that are fairly cheap and can play multiple positions should have some value. I don’t really see the Yankees being a team to ante up for a guy like Sanchez when they can probably find something for just money in free agency, but he’d really be a perfect fit for them.

2B & 3B are now open for them. Carlos Sanchez could make some sense for them if they don't feel comfortable going all in on Torres & Andujar next year.

Sanchez might be a guy Hahn and company feel may be overvalued for what he brings. Dude is a fantastic locker room presence and obviously the glove is really good.

Honestly, Yolmer was the first thing that popped into my head as well.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Sanchez might be a guy Hahn and company feel may be overvalued for what he brings. Dude is a fantastic locker room presence and obviously the glove is really good.

One thing I hope they've learned based on their recent failures is not to underestimate the value of cheap, pre-arb guys who give you 2-3 wins a year. They may not be all stars, but when you have to try to find those guys on the FA market to fill holes, you wind up paying for the LaRoches and Melky Cabreras and Bonifacios and Navarro/Avilas of the world. If you're going to move him, you have to get something that is likely useful to the team in return, because a 2 win player filling a 3b spot or a utility spot is a solid, useful piece. You will spend $10 million to find that piece if you don't have it, and the guys you'll bring in to do that will be questionable.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)

I have no problem keeping him, just depends on what kind of return he can get you. Teams value versatility more than ever, so I feel like some of us may be surprised at what he could bring back in return.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
I just think guys like Sanchez and Leury Garcia, are players that have some value, but aren't the types of guys where you acquire really interesting prospects. You get B-/C+ guys at best. You might as well keep them.

I'd guess you'd get a Melky Cabrera sort of return. So yeah, B-, C Prosects

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
I have no problem keeping him, just depends on what kind of return he can get you. Teams value versatility more than ever, so I feel like some of us may be surprised at what he could bring back in return.

His current projections plug him in at 1.2 WAR/600, but that's also taking into account his previous replacement level seasons. Assuming the breakthrough was real, and I don't see much to think that it wasn't, there's no reason he couldn't be viewed or sold as a 2-2.5 WAR player moving forward. Over the next 4 years, that puts his value around $70 million for which he will probably be paid something like $24 mill ($500K 2018, $5.5 mill 2019, $8 mill 2020, $10 mill 2021), which provides $46 million of surplus value. A 55 FV prospect is worth about $40 million.

I am admittedly grasping at straws here, but I don't see something along those lines as an impossibility, and if you acquire Frazier, then it opens the door for an Avisail Garcia trade immediately, even if you have to take a slight discount on his overall value.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
His current projections plug him in at 1.2 WAR/600, but that's also taking into account his previous replacement level seasons. Assuming the breakthrough was real, and I don't see much to think that it wasn't, there's no reason he couldn't be viewed or sold as a 2-2.5 WAR player moving forward. Over the next 4 years, that puts his value around $70 million for which he will probably be paid something like $24 mill ($500K 2018, $5.5 mill 2019, $8 mill 2020, $10 mill 2021), which provides $46 million of surplus value. A 55 FV prospect is worth about $40 million.

I am admittedly grasping at straws here, but I don't see something along those lines as an impossibility, and if you acquire Frazier, then it opens the door for an Avisail Garcia trade immediately, even if you have to take a slight discount on his overall value.

I think he will end up getting moved for the best offer. Not this week but maybe later in the off-season after Ozuna, Yelich and other trade candidates go and JDM signs with a team.