Orioles listening on Machado?...

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
Trading away top prospects for a guy who will likely be a free agent in one year sounds as counter productive as it gets. There is zero fit for the Sox to trade for him.

I think the only way a deal gets done is if he agrees to an extension.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
Anyone else worried about Machados lack of proven ability as a middle of the order vs the amount he's going to seemingly get?

Over the last 3 seasons, .840 OPS, 35 HR/year, 35 2b/year, 92 RBI/year. What's the issue?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Over the last 3 seasons, .840 OPS, 35 HR/year, 35 2b/year, 92 RBI/year. What's the issue?

All of it? I mean I've seen the projections on him between 300-400 million for 10 years. Or by far the biggest position player contract in baseball this side of Miggy (and Harper soon). That OPS would take him 46th in baseball last season or 82nd judging just by the season he had last year.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
All of it? I mean I've seen the projections on him between 300-400 million for 10 years. Or by far the biggest position player contract in baseball this side of Miggy (and Harper soon). That OPS would take him 46th in baseball last season or 82nd judging just by the season he had last year.

Exactly

And the implication above that the Sox should consider renting him for 1 year: good lord......

Edited by GreenSox

Even if he gets dealt and he will probably test FA waters, I still think the Sox make a huge push for him. I believe signing Wellington was the first implication of that. If we have to trade for him in order to get him, minimal assets should be given up for him, especially without a contract. That isn’t going to happen. Wait until next offseason when he’s free.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 06:32 PM)
I think the only way a deal gets done is if he agrees to an extension.

In which case, why wouldn't he just play for a contender for 1 more year and then sign with the Sox if he wants to be here?

I get the Orioles want to trade him, but if he's willing to sign an extension with us now, then he is willing to sign for that price in a year. I don't want to see us dump prospects for exclusive negotiating rights.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)
We don't even need him this year. Total waste of prospects.

Agree but there is a caviat. Machado may go somewhere for a year, love the situation and sign there long-term. I think he ends up in Boston, LA or New York in FA.

Can only see him going to a small-market team on the edge of contending next year that has 0% shot at signing him long term for a light package. No team that's going to sign him long term is going to trade anything of value when they can get him for straight cash 1 year later.

Would be interested to hear market. One of those situations where I feel like the deadline is more likely. Teams would want him at a bigger discount with a higher certainty he will be a part of a playoff push.

edit: changed lower discount to bigger discount

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
Would be interested to hear market. One of those situations where I feel like the deadline is more likely. Teams would want him at a lower discount with a higher certainty he will be a part of a playoff push.

Deadline makes a lot more sense. With free agency pending no one is going to pay up for him. The O's missed his window.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
That’s not a caviat that is a huge risk for the White Sox. They can’t risk the prospects necessary to acquire him without the guarantee that he extends

I don't mean for the White Sox. A contender next year may take a shot on Machado depending on the return with the hope that if they win he may want to sign w that team long-term. The White Sox should only get involved if a sign and trade is a possibility which I doubt.

I’m fine with tanking another year and developing our prospects. Keep them and then put the full court press on Machado next year. Hopefully Welington Castillo can tell him how much he loves it here next year and our prospects keep filtering up.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)
Agree but there is a caviat. Machado may go somewhere for a year, love the situation and sign there long-term. I think he ends up in Boston, LA or New York in FA.

Not sure about Boston. Especially after the summer he had there. They also have Bogaerts and Devers on the left side of the infield. Obviously Machado is a monster signing so they might try for the sake of trying.