Yankees shopping Clint Frazier

whitesoxwinner

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I don't really there is significant reliever risk with Kopech anymore. He's the best pitching prospect in baseball. He dominated AA last year and should be in the big leagues shortly. His floor is high leverage power reliever sure but I don't think the risk is significant anymore. He's a freaking ace.

I'm with you. I always joke with my baseball buddies that Kopech will win the Cy Young in 3 years... Little do they know, I'm not totally joking lol

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
I don't really there is significant reliever risk with Kopech anymore. He's the best pitching prospect in baseball. He dominated AA last year and should be in the big leagues shortly. His floor is high leverage power reliever sure but I don't think the risk is significant anymore. He's a freaking ace.

there definitely is a reliever risk. last year in AA he walked 4.5 batters per 9, the year before that it was 5. he only walked 3 in AAA but it was just 15 innings so that is not really telling. most ace Starters are under 2.5. now he is still Young and can improve, other great Starters have been wild but there is a risk that never Comes around.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
there definitely is a reliever risk. last year in AA he walked 4.5 batters per 9, the year before that it was 5. he only walked 3 in AAA but it was just 15 innings so that is not really telling. most ace Starters are under 2.5. now he is still Young and can improve, other great Starters have been wild but there is a risk that never Comes around.

This doesn't tell the story at all. He improved his walk rate a ridiculous amount as the season went on. He's still young as crap and the fact that he was able to make those improvements tells you what you need to know about him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
This doesn't tell the story at all. He improved his walk rate a ridiculous amount as the season went on. He's still young as crap and the fact that he was able to make those improvements tells you what you need to know about him.

This. Can’t evaluate prospects solely on their full season stats. In season trends are incredibly important and Kopech was spectacular down the stretch despite exceeding his career innings threshold. The kid is the real deal and perhaps the most piece of a quick rebuild.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)

I watched every start of his that was available. He walked too many guys early in the year but figured it out and was lights out after the Futures Game. Michael Kopech should be the least of your worries. He has top 5 pitcher in the sport upside and looked completely unhittable towards the end of his stint in BIrmingham.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
I watched every start of his that was available. He walked too many guys early in the year but figured it out and was lights out after the Futures Game. Michael Kopech should be the least of your worries. He has top 5 pitcher in the sport upside and looked completely unhittable towards the end of his stint in BIrmingham.

Didn’t he work with someone at the Future’s Game that helped him?

Al Leiter I want to say?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Didn’t he work with someone at the Future’s Game that helped him?

Al Leiter I want to say?

For Kopech to reach AAA at age 21 it is very impressive. He really cut down on the walks from mid July onward and showed overall development. The chance he sticks as a starter is much stronger now than it was at the start of the season.

Personally I would let him spend the majority of this season at AAA to continue to build up his innings.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
There are only a handful (if that) of players I think they would trade Kopech or Hansen for and Clint Frazier is not close to being one of them.

When the new top 100 rankings come out sometime in January I fully expect Hansen to take a pretty significant leap. The stuff is there and the control is improving.

Frazier is overrated, and unless he's a plus defensive center fielder I don't think the bat will stick at a corner. Power potential is great, but only if you make enough contact to use it.

Fangraphs was really down on his 2017 performance, rating him below replacement level offsensively, and -5.8 defensively...which is cause for concern. Buyer beware.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
When the new top 100 rankings come out sometime in January I fully expect Hansen to take a pretty significant leap. The stuff is there and the control is improving.

Frazier is overrated, and unless he's a plus defensive center fielder I don't think the bat will stick at a corner. Power potential is great, but only if you make enough contact to use it.

Fangraphs was really down on his 2017 performance, rating him below replacement level offsensively, and -5.8 defensively...which is cause for concern. Buyer beware.

Rutherford for Frazier, who says no!

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)

I'd be pretty shocked if he isn't a top 50 prospect.

Edited by cjgalloway

I think you're overreacting to Frazier's first taste of big league action. And while he no doubt has some swing & miss concerns, he never struck our at a ridiculous rate in the minors. I think you're sleeping on him quite a bit.

The guy had 142 ML plate appearances and 289 total innings in the field, all for a guy logging his first major league time at Age 22. Jumping off of a bridge because of that sample is pretty dangerous. You have to trust your scouts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
The guy had 142 ML plate appearances and 289 total innings in the field, all for a guy logging his first major league time at Age 22. Jumping off of a bridge because of that sample is pretty dangerous. You have to trust your scouts.

Right now what the universe is telling me is...the guy came up showing an incredibly quick bat and developable skills, but then the team that saw him the most, the Yankees, tossed him aside for a big money slugger they did not need to acquire if they believed in Frazier.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Right now what the universe is telling me is...the guy came up showing an incredibly quick bat and developable skills, but then the team that saw him the most, the Yankees, tossed him aside for a big money slugger they did not need to acquire if they believed in Frazier.

Let's be realistic here. Clint Frazier at his absolute ceiling is a guy you dump in about two seconds if you get Gio Stanton for basically nothing but his contract. It doesn't take the universe to figure that one out.

That doesn't mean he has no value. That is an incredible overreaction to the reigning MVP and HR champ falling into your lap almost by accident.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
Let's be realistic here. Clint Frazier at his absolute ceiling is a guy you dump in about two seconds if you get Gio Stanton for basically nothing but his contract. It doesn't take the universe to figure that one out.

That doesn't mean he has no value. That is an incredible overreaction to the reigning MVP and HR champ falling into your lap almost by accident.

100% agree. If you're the Yankees, you most definitely take Stanton for nothing and then use Frazier to get yourself a cost controlled starter. I think this has almost no reflection on what the Yankees' scouts think of Frazier and entirely about the Yankees adding a MVP caliber talent for nothing but money.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
I think you're overreacting to Frazier's first taste of big league action. And while he no doubt has some swing & miss concerns, he never struck our at a ridiculous rate in the minors. I think you're sleeping on him quite a bit.

I am not saying Frazier sucks by any means, I understand he is young and can turn things around. Like others have stated he is a victim of the Stanton deal in that nearly any player will be cast away when the reigning NL MVP is made available.

I just think there is considerable risk to him as a prospect who plays a corner outfield position. He's still an interesting young player, but the margin for error on corner outfielders is slim.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
I am not saying Frazier sucks by any means, I understand he is young and can turn things around. Like others have stated he is a victim of the Stanton deal in that nearly any player will be cast away when the reigning NL MVP is made available.

I just think there is considerable risk to him as a prospect who plays a corner outfield position. He's still an interesting young player, but the margin for error on corner outfielders is slim.

Kyle Glaser‏Verified account

@KyleAGlaser

Following Following @KyleAGlaser

More

Cashman mentions Sale deal last year, that Severino, Sanchez, Bird were among names White Sox floated as the price.

1:47 PM - 11 Dec 2017

Wow, haha. Big ask.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Kyle Glaser‏Verified account

@KyleAGlaser

Following Following @KyleAGlaser

More

Cashman mentions Sale deal last year, that Severino, Sanchez, Bird were among names White Sox floated as the price.

1:47 PM - 11 Dec 2017

Wow, haha. Big ask.

I believe I through out a Severino/Judge/Mateo hypothetical and the general consensus was it was too light. If only we knew what those first two players would develop into just a year later.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
I believe I through out a Severino/Judge/Mateo hypothetical and the general consensus was it was too light. If only we knew what those first two players would develop into just a year later.

Everyone here was down on both after their first cup of coffees in the bigs. People look way too into small sample sizes.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
Everyone here was down on both after their first cup of coffees in the bigs. People look way too into small sample sizes.

Funny how that works... Then again, I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams ever even gave Judge a ceiling of what he did last year. Severino has had some pretty big hype though and wasn't as much of a surprise.