White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

"As of Saturday morning, the Chicago White Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks had demonstrated the most interest in Manny Machado, according to AL sources. Some execs involved in the talks still wonder if Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos will give a final approval to a Machado deal in the face of some negative fan reaction. But a lot of Baltimore fans are sophisticated and understand that Machado won’t re-sign with the Orioles after 2018, and that swapping him gives the franchise its best chance to acquire young pitching talent."

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/post...bt-defying-deal

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
"Giolito, Cease/Hansen , Burger, and Bummer....I think this is a package that gives the Os something to sell the fans"

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/ind...o/&page=116

Thought this was amusing. That's a package he would get with 5 years on his deal.

That package should get a guy like Sale or Quintana with multiple years left.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
"Giolito, Cease/Hansen , Burger, and Bummer....I think this is a package that gives the Os something to sell the fans"

Thought this was amusing. That's a package he would get with 5 years on his deal.

Actually, the other deal mentioned in the thread of Fulmer, Anderson, and one from the Adams/Stephens tier actually feels about right if this thing were to go down.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
The most I would offer for Machado is Cease and Adams.

I read somewhere that Cafardo reported Sox offer was based off of current major leaguers. Don't quote me on that though. I still think the offer is way more than many think on here.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't feel like reading through 100 pages...is there an actual idea of what a package would be? With only 1 year left its really hard to judge. Wonder if Fulmer would be a good headliner with maybe a Spencer Adams and Micker? Something like even close? Maybe throw in Yolmer...

No. Some major leaguers may be included and it isn’t kopech mincada. That’s all we know.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)

They also think Tim Beckham is better than Tim Anderson lol

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)

I’ll say this much, if we end up doing a deal with the Orioles for Machado, one of the two fanbases is going to be really pissed. Anything that makes sense for us is going to feel light for them and vice verse. I don’t see possible deal that both sides feel good about.

Also, props to Shack for trying to share some knowledge with the fans on that forum.

If reports that the Orioles want a couple of Major League ready pitchers, are true, Cease doesn't qualify. He isn't expected to arrive until 2019. Moreover, he is MLB Pipeline's 5TH ranked Sox prospect, which would not be consistent with Hahn's repeated assurances that "nothing has changed in terms of what we are trying to accomplish. We're very interested in adding premium young talent to what we've already built, but at the same time we're not going to rob Peter to pay Paul, if that makes sense. We are headed towards a bright future. We want to make moves that are going to enhance that, not necessarily take away from it."

Therefore, I don't see Hahn letting Cease go. It seems more likely that something like 2 of the following might work: Fulmer, Stevens or Adams. Even then, I would be reluctant to include Fulmer.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Therefore, I don't see Hahn letting Cease go. It seems more likely that something like 2 of the following might work: Fulmer, Stevens or Adams. Even then, I would be reluctant to include Fulmer.

They shouldn't move any of them. Nothing at all to be gained.

And it distracts them from continuing to amass young talent and moving tradeable assets. They refused to give the rebuild much more than a year last time and the FO is apparently is hell-bent on repeating its mistake.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
No. Some major leaguers may be included and it isn’t kopech mincada. That’s all we know.

Where didn’t this major leaguer(s) rumor come from? Saw people mention it on the Orioles board, but I haven’t seen the source of it anywhere.

If true, I think Fulmer is all but a certainty of being in the deal. Could see us trying to sell high on him after his five games to end the season. I can’t imagine moving another major league piece unless they’ve soured on Lopez and I’d hate to see that.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
If reports that the Orioles want a couple of Major League ready pitchers, are true, Cease doesn't qualify. He isn't expected to arrive until 2019. Moreover, he is MLB Pipeline's 5TH ranked Sox prospect, which would not be consistent with Hahn's repeated assurances that "nothing has changed in terms of what we are trying to accomplish. We're very interested in adding premium young talent to what we've already built, but at the same time we're not going to rob Peter to pay Paul, if that makes sense. We are headed towards a bright future. We want to make moves that are going to enhance that, not necessarily take away from it."

Fulmer & one of Adams/Stephens for Machado would be the dream deal as it would leave us with all our high pitching prospects. Plus if we end up losing him in free agency, we’d get a comp pick that would greatly offset the overall cost. I just can’t see the Orioles doing that deal though. I think the best offer for us that maybe they’d accept would be Cease & Fulmer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Fulmer & one of Adams/Stephens for Machado would be the dream deal as it would leave us with all our high pitching prospects. Plus if we end up losing him in free agency, we’d get a comp pick that would greatly offset the overall cost. I just can’t see the Orioles doing that deal though. I think the best offer for us that maybe they’d accept would be Cease & Fulmer.

Again, that would not be consistent with Hahn's assurances. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, but it would surprise and disappoint this fan.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Again, that would not be consistent with Hahn's assurances. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, but it would surprise and disappoint this fan.

I’m not saying Hahn would or wouldn’t do that deal, I’m just saying that might be the lowest offer the Orioles accept from us. And I’m sure most people here would hate it and I wouldn’t blame them. I’d hate to lose a guy like Cease, but I also realize there is quite a road ahead to become a major league starter. I’d personally be pretty torn on that deal and I’m actually supportive of going after Machado at the right price.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Because a lot of teams could easily beat a Cease and Adams package. My guess is it's Lopez and Anderson.

What teams have the need, the cash to make a quality contract offer, & the prospect currency to get a deal done? I’m being serious, I don’t really see that many teams that make sense. The Yankees may be the only AL team that meets all three criteria and Baltimore won’t deal with them. Who else from the NL makes sense beyond the Cardinals? I expect the Phillies to be involved, but they’re outliers just like us. I’m just not seeing the matches here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
What teams have the need, the cash to make a quality contract offer, & the prospect currency to get a deal done? I’m being serious, I don’t really see that many teams that make sense. The Yankees may be the only AL team that meets all three criteria and Baltimore won’t deal with them. Who else from the NL makes sense beyond the Cardinals? I expect the Phillies to be involved, but they’re outliers just like us. I’m just not seeing the matches here.

Supposedly ten offers have been made. I'm sure at least one team can offer better than a top 90-100 pitching prospect and a mid-level prospect.