White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:58 AM)
After so much regurgitation, here's a nugget of something new. Thanks Ron. ( virtual fist bump )...

Thank u Trev. I was actually wondering if my post would go un commented upon since its a very long thread and even good posts get ignored. I just don't get the give up prospects and sell him on the White Sox theme. It's foolhardy at best and ridiculous on any level.He has a chance of a lifetime to get the best contract ever given out in baseball history and is doing everything he can do maximize his value in order to get it.

Also anyone thinking the Sox can catch lightning in a bottle and make the playoffs is similiarly delusional. They need a bullpen badly and the starting pitching probably isn't up to snuff yet either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Think of what the Sox had to give up for 1 year of Samardzija, and add some more. That is what their package must look like.

Dick, I appreciate you as a fan & poster here. I think you know your s***. But right now, I think you’re arguing against no one. The debate isn’t whether or not the Orioles will take a moderate package from us, it’s whether or not we should do it. You’re probably right and ultimately someone offers up one pretty decent prospect to land Machado, but right now the rumor is we’re in the lead with a package that includes none of our top guys. If that’s the case, I have no problem with what Hahn is doing. If he gives up someone like Giolito, I’ll actually pretty be pissed. If he gives up Kopech, I’ll probably be posting from prison. I think most of us that are ok with potentially trading for Machado acknowledge that what we’d be ok with giving up more often than not wouldn’t be enough. But every once in a while the stars align a certain way where you get a guy for a sizable discount. And given we’re dealing with the Orioles, you simply never know. To me, it’s worth throwing our name in the hat and seeing if they bite on something unsubstantial.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Hahn is saying that the odds are better that he re-signs with the White Sox if he is acquired, which is literally true, because they will have exclusive negotiating rights. No one except Manny Machado will know exactly what those odds are.

So no, you can't say they go from "almost nothing to solid." They improve. How much is non-quantifiable.

They could actually decrease if you look at it from the perspective that the Sox aren't ready and he joins a team that loses 80 games.

I don't think that the Sox are that far off in terms of raw talent....it will just take a year or 2 to get ready.

Trading away some of that talent under this pie in the sky notion that Machado likes playing with Abreu et al so much that he'll sign on the cheap, will make things worse (which presumably is the idea; otherwise, just outbid everyone, which obviously gives you the best chance to sign him).

Heck Abreu is a better hitter than Machado. Extend him. Watch Avi for a year, extend him if it's for real. Sanchez handles D at 3rd exquisitely; that will work if it's the only offensive hole.

Wait for the other guys, and develop that pitching depth (don't trade it!)

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
It's not a slam dunk at all. What is close to a slam dunk is if he does like it here and we pay up, he will more than like re-sign. Whereas if he isn't here, and he's deciding simply on money and perception, we'd probably not even get a seriously look. When you're battling against teams like the Yanks and BoSox for elite talent and money is similar, you are in trouble. Any advantage you can get, take it.

I just think this is a misguided point with all due respect. This isn't how free agency works. I'm sure he would like Chicago. Most players do unless they pull a Sale. Ozzie would probably kill (figure of speech) to return to this great city and have it in the palm of his hand. But this is so wrong. Machado is gonna follow the $$$. We are not going to be in the running. It makes zero sense that during a 64-win season we acquire him only to lose 4 prospects. At the end of the season we gave up 4 prospects for nothing really. Bizarre that this is even being discussed in the media.

The idea of flipping him at the break also disgusts me. So we flip him to replace the 4 prospects we give up for him. Will these new 4 prospects in the flip be better than the four we give up for him now? Bizarre talk.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
Any recap? Thanks

Nothing really new mostly talked up the Cards and White Sox. Said there’s 10 teams offering and some have upped their offers. Talked about being able to sell him on the team. Thinks it’s perfect sense for Cards.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
I don't think that the Sox are that far off in terms of raw talent....it will just take a year or 2 to get ready.

We have the raw talent right now to be better than the 2017 Astros were by 2020. We just need enough of it to work out. We have 1 fewer young stud ready to go around the diamond than them (Altuve, Correa, Springer/Moncada + Jiminez) but we've got a comparable amount of depth, if we can develop some guys...and we have WAY more pitching than they ever dreamed of having this season. Like it's not even a discussion. Their big acquisition was Verlander to fill that need, so we could use one more major player around the diamond.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
I’m not going to complain if they get him, but I’m rooting for ‘the field’ here.

Too risky. Keep the prospects. Moncada and Jimenez are going to be our superstars anyway.

It's risky, but the upside is three superstars with Robert in the wings.

Here's what I think is happening/is the strategy:

Hahn sees Machado available for young pitching. White Sox, having such a deep farm now, almost certainly have some prospects/players that THEY think are overrated by consensus. He puts together a package of guys the Sox maybe have soured on but the rest of the industry won't catch onto for another half season or so, figuring that if he moves these guys for Machado, he can re-flip Machado for a different set of prospects at the deadline. Even if the "total value" of the return is similar or even a bit less than he paid, it could be a boon if he can get guys he likes better than those he gave up. That sounds like a "calculated risk" to me.

And then, if he can extend him in-season instead, that's a bonus. But I can't believe they think an extension is anything more than a hail mary.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
I’m not going to complain if they get him, but I’m rooting for ‘the field’ here.

Too risky. Keep the prospects. Moncada and Jimenez are going to be our superstars anyway.

I'm the same with not being mad if we get him, but I' rooting for Baltimore to be dumb and keep him. I feel like whatever team gets him gets the advantage for trying to sign him and I'm okay if that's us, but I also think if we get him we won't sell off any pieces this year so it doesn't look like we are still deep in the rebuild to him.

I still think this is idiotic. There are better ways to think outside the box.

If the White Sox wanted to be more strategic, they would reinvest some of JR’s money into rebuilding Puerto Rico, working with an unimpeachable non profit like Habitat for Humanity. Send some of the players and coaches down on a goodwill tour, especially anyone with family ties to PR. Or even a low interest loans/micro finance approach.

https://www.lavidabaseball.com/puerto-rico-...nte-needs-help/ They could help to finance the restoration and completion of Roberto Clemente Sports City, for example.

Hire Javy Vasquez, Roberto Alomar, Jose Valentin, Roberto Hernandez and one of the Molina’s (can also work with the catchers as a coach for part of the year) as Sox Ambassadors. Dennis Martinez probably has too many ties to Orioles, but he would be the best.

They could even buy these two houses in San Juan that are currently worth way less than $840,000 combined (after the earthquake) in order to alleviate financial stress on the Clemente family. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/36-Calle...id/?view=public 36-B, adjoining property, also for sale.

Make them the HQ of a new Sox Baseball Academy in PR.

Invest less than $15 million, which has to be lower than the opportunity cost of surrendering Cease and Fulmer, you have X percentage higher probability of signing any Puerto Rican player and you also have an “in” with potential PR draft picks.

In fact, Nolan Arenado’s mother is Puerto Rican...father is Cuban. Do all the things as outlined, we have a much better shot at Arenado than we do being the highest bidder for Machado.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
Here's what I think is happening/is the strategy:

Hahn sees Machado available for young pitching. White Sox, having such a deep farm now, almost certainly have some prospects/players that THEY think are overrated by consensus. He puts together a package of guys the Sox maybe have soured on but the rest of the industry won't catch onto for another half season or so, figuring that if he moves these guys for Machado, he can re-flip Machado for a different set of prospects at the deadline. Even if the "total value" of the return is similar or even a bit less than he paid, it could be a boon if he can get guys he likes better than those he gave up. That sounds like a "calculated risk" to me.

And then, if he can extend him in-season instead, that's a bonus. But I can't believe they think an extension is anything more than a hail mary.

While it could work out perfectly, the problem with it is at the deadline, there will be limited suitors, and at this time you don't know who they may be. Someone will want him for sure, but you can't be positive of a prospect upgrade. The Yankees might want him now, but might have to use their resources on another position. I don't know if that really is a calculated risk. It seems a bit risky.