White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
Again, says who? It's why I think the Sox offer is far better than Cease as the main piece

The offers shouldnt be expected to go to high because he has 1 year left.

What does far better equate to? Lopez?

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Supposedly ten offers have been made. I'm sure at least one team can offer better than a top 90-100 pitching prospect and a mid-level prospect.

Come on fathom, who would have leaked the “ten teams have made offers” nugget? It’s obviously coming from the Orioles and they have every reason to make it look like there is a ton of interest. If you actually believe this rumor, then name some of the teams that might have made offers.

As for the price, I would have thought Ozuna would have landed at least one sure fire top 100 prospect and the best they got was a borderline guy. It really does seem like teams are saving their chips for more cost-controlled assets, which makes sense with the sheer number of teams rebuilding. Outside of aces & elite relievers, it feels like deadline costs have also dropped substantially. Just no reason to overpay for short-term assets when there are numerous sellers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Duquette isn't an idiot. He knows he could get a better prospect than Cease at the deadline. Also, for some reason I don't think Angelos would be a fan of Cease's medical history.

I dont know. At that point your really squeezing the people that want him. Some of the teams with offers for him might not be available because those teams are no longer contending. Like the Diamondbacks or the Cards for example. Plus potentially us.

Edited by Baron

I think Angelos is passing on a good opportunity to exploit the Yanks. If Angelos expects Machado to sign with the Yanks next year anyway, then why not take advantage of a chance to get something from the Yanks this year? I would tell the Yanks that if they really want Machado, discussions begin with Torres. With so many bidders ( up to ten ) the Orioles are in a great spot to drive the price up on the Yanks to see just how desperate they are for Machado.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Duquette isn't an idiot. He knows he could get a better prospect than Cease at the deadline. Also, for some reason I don't think Angelos would be a fan of Cease's medical history.

Duquette isn’t, but what about the Angelos family? Most other organizations I’d agree with, but this is the Orioles we’re talking about. They have a funny/unique way of doing things.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
I think Angelos is passing on a good opportunity to exploit the Yanks. If Angelos expects Machado to sign with the Yanks next year anyway, then why not take advantage of a chance to get something from the Yanks this year? I would tell the Yanks that if they really want Machado, discussions begin with Torres. With so many bidders ( up to ten ) the Orioles are in a great spot to drive the price up on the Yanks to see just how desperate they are for Machado.

I don’t disagree with your logic, but I just don’t see the Yankees ever being that desperate to land Machado now. Torres is an integral piece to their future given how cheap he’ll be.

The road to the Sox’ next chance for a World Series championship in the oft-mentioned window starting in 2020 (perhaps sooner) will inevitably go through New York, a powerhouse whicj just acquired the services of Giancarlo Stanton during that same timeframe. Our chances of competing with that Yankees team in the postseason is much better served with a Manny Machado in his prime playing in the Sox’ lineup rather than making theirs even that much more imposing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
The problem you have here is not only Machado one of the best players in the game, he is also a franchise icon. A trade that basically looks like a salary dump isn't happening which is why the White Sox interest is curious and ridiculous.

This is a fair point, but again we’re talking the Orioles. And as good of a player as Machado is, I just don’t see teams offering up huge prospects for him given his one year of control. I honestly can’t figure out what teams make sense. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still nervous as hell though. The fact we’re supposedly in the lead generally makes me uneasy without knowing exactly how big of an offer we’ve actually made.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
The problem you have here is not only Machado one of the best players in the game, he is also a franchise icon. A trade that basically looks like a salary dump isn't happening which is why the White Sox interest is curious and ridiculous.

The Orioles can sell it though. If he is refusing to even talk about an extension, they know he is gone. It's the "at least we got something" defense. In this case it's probably true, from all reports.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)

This is what I would do, provided their offer is the best.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I don’t disagree with your logic, but I just don’t see the Yankees ever being that desperate to land Machado now. Torres is an integral piece to their future given how cheap he’ll be.

It is a shot in the dark but it's to see how desperate the Yanks are while they are assembling their 2018 offensive dream team. A more reasonable ask would be discussions beginning with Clint Frazier. I know Baltimore wants pitching but I wouldn't pass at the chance for Frazier +. Make the second piece a pitcher.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
This is what I would do, provided their offer is the best.

Now that I think about it, this could be what Angelos is doing through the media. When Machado trade rumors first surfaced, Baltimore said they would trade within the division for the right return. The Yanks show interest, have a deep farm and now Angelos has a problem trading Machado to them? I'm sure Angelos would rather trade Machado out of the ALE but the media reports are conflicting.

Went on the O's board and they have a member claiming to be in the know saying this:

"No idea on specific offers. Haven’t been told yet. Just that offers got significantly better last night and talks really progressed. Haven’t seen anyone say anything on social media yet or any reports out there, but it will be coming."

I read a blog where the guy said a fair price would be Hansen, Fulmer, and Burger. To me, that seems about right. A top 100, a guy who struggled, and a relative unknown.

What type of monetary value would you put on that package? If the Dodgers had the Sox farm system, would you take those 3 to take all of Matt Kemp's money?

If so, the price to acquire Machado to get him to love the culture, with his salary, would approach $60 million. Would just outbidding everyone by $60 million work better, and keep the prospects? I

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
I read a blog where the guy said a fair price would be Hansen, Fulmer, and Burger. To me, that seems about right. A top 100, a guy who struggled, and a relative unknown.

What type of monetary value would you put on that package? If the Dodgers had the Sox farm system, would you take those 3 to take all of Matt Kemp's money?

If so, the price to acquire Machado to get him to love the culture, with his salary, would approach $60 million. Would just outbidding everyone by $60 million work better, and keep the prospects? I

Use that package to get Yelich, not a rental. Hahn should be fired if he gives those 3 up and doesn't lock up Manny

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
Went on the O's board and they have a member claiming to be in the know saying this:

"No idea on specific offers. Haven’t been told yet. Just that offers got significantly better last night and talks really progressed. Haven’t seen anyone say anything on social media yet or any reports out there, but it will be coming."

Yeah, I've read a couple current articles so far today that have said the White Sox and, uh, the DBacks of all teams, have shown the most serious interest in this. One of the articles was on MLBTR. Could be wrong, but I have a feeling this is just the slow beginning of a second wave of social media reports regarding Machado.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)

Saw that post and same guy mentioned Giolito AND Lopez

Looking at the big picture, do we really need Machado? If the Sox extend Avi and Abreu, the lineup would be fine by the beginning of their contention window:

VERSUS RHP

2B Moncada

3B Sanchez

RF Avi

DH Abreu

1B ?LH Hitter?

LF Eloy

C Castillo

CF Leury/Engel/Cordell

SS Anderson

What is missing is that elusive LH middle of the order bat, which I always complain about. If no one emerges out of the current roster (Gillaspie, Delmonico), it shouldn't be that hard to sign a free agent, to either DH or play first base, and it shouldn't cost $350 to $400 million. The focus should continue to be on the pitching, which has the potential to be exceptional:

Rodon

Kopech

Giolito

Hansen

Cease

Lopez

Fix the bullpen and they should be fine. There could even be enough internal options, by 2019, such as Fulmer, Dunning, Burdi, Clarkin, Adams, Stephens and Vieira.

If not, that might be a better place to spend some money.

Giving up a couple of Major League ready starters, to acquire one year of Machado, still makes little sense, to me. I'd rather gamble on extending Avi, than spend $17 million and a couple good prospects, for one year of Machado and the pipe dream, that he would sign with the Sox.