2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

How would you describe the opposite feeling for centrist candidates?  Pragmatic realism?

Nobody gets excited to vote for 27-29 year old candidates unless they really possess the ability to shake up the system, not provide more of the status quo.

And, if not her, what candidate will excite anyone in Iowa?   Corey Booker would rather take money from Big Pharma and Wall Street while convincing you he “feels your pain”...while trying to thread the need,e of occupying a place between Bill Clinton and Obama.  It won’t work.  So what else do you have that will motivate the Left to get out and vote?

Our race has nothing to do with "shaking up the system". It has to do with someone who comes from and understands the actual hardworking people of Iowa who are getting screwed vs a multimillionaire who's the one DOING the screwing. 

Again, I know we all want to play armchair quarterback, but what we're doing has raised the candidate record-shattering numbers here in Iowa. And I expect Cory to do well in the primaries.

Edited by Reddy

7 hours ago, Reddy said:

Our race has nothing to do with "shaking up the system". It has to do with someone who comes from and understands the actual hardworking people of Iowa who are getting screwed vs a multimillionaire who's the one DOING the screwing. 

Again, I know we all want to play armchair quarterback, but what we're doing has raised the candidate record-shattering numbers here in Iowa. And I expect Cory to do well in the primaries.

Booker can pretend to be a progressive all he wants.  Trump would simply chew him up and spit himself as another version of Barack Obama, and 90% of the election would be fought along the terrain of identity politics, BLM and immigration.

He’s accepted millions from Wall Street and other corporate interests in the past, taking the no-corporate-PAC money vow for the first time this year.

He supports, and sometimes spearheads, ideas that are beginning to find widespread embrace among Democrats. He backs a $15 minimum wage and has introduced legislation to establish a guaranteed job pilot program in 15 communities. He also wants to see the Citizens United v. FEC decision overturned.

The question, however, is whether Democratic primary voters will believe he is genuine about limiting his cash flow from Wall Street and Silicon Valley when his rise has been fueled by millions in contributions from those industries.

“I’d start by saying he’s basically as bought and paid for as anybody who’s run for elected office. He’s inextricably linked with the moneyed interests,” Bertin Lefkovic, a New Jersey liberal activist who was a state volunteer leader for Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign in 2016, said when asked how he would describe Booker to liberals not intimately familiar with his record.

“From my perspective, he really has very little to offer anybody who considers themselves a progressive,” Lefkovic said.

Refusing to take corporate PAC contributions won’t be much of a fundraising hit for Booker. 

From the time he first ran for Senate in a 2013 special election, Booker has received more than $2.6 million from the securities and investment industry, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a campaign finance watchdog organization. Just $62,200 of that came from PACs, while the rest came from individual donors. Lawyers and law firms gave him even more, about $2.8 million — again, the vast majority from individuals. 

In 2013, his campaign was helped along by a super PAC funded by a few wealthy donors, with almost half its money coming from hedge fund executives, according to the Center for Public Integrity. In 2014 — Booker’s first reelection campaign — he was the single biggest recipient of financial sector contributions, according to CNBC.

The donations, however, were for Booker’s two elections combined: his special Senate election in 2013 and his reelection for a full term in 2014.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/07/03/booker-seeks-distance-as-corporate-donations-become-potent-campaign-issue-494360

10 hours ago, Reddy said:

What minimum wage is she fighting for, since she has already rejected $15 as too high for Iowa...?

As far as Blum goes, at least he does have some level of technology expertise (due to his internet ventures)...it’s the classic experienced (old/white) Tea Party businessman vs. inspirational (female) political ingenue.  Iowans did give Obama a shot, but they also rejected HRC soundly and anyone under 30 running for statewide office isn’t going to have an easy time of it.  It’s also not a race where you can easily make it all about getting out the women’s vote due to Roe v. Wade/Kavanaugh and Kim Reynolds both changing the landscape there.

How much of Blum’s $15-20 million is he going to put into the race personally to attempt to retain his seat?

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The California Democratic Party snubbed U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Saturday by handing its official endorsement and a badly needed boost to state Sen. Kevin de Leon, her longshot Democratic challenger.

In backing de Leon, a majority of the party's 360-member executive board ignored Feinstein's calls to stay neutral in the race. Her allies had warned an endorsement would create an intraparty squabble that could detract from important down-ballot races.

De Leon has long been courting party activists and appealed to those seeking a fresh face and a more progressive senator to fight against President Donald Trump.

"Today's vote is a clear-eyed rejection of politics as usual in Washington, D.C.," de Leon said in a statement after the vote. "We have presented Californians with the first real alternative to the worn-out Washington playbook in a quarter-century."

A total of 217 delegates voted for de Leon, of Los Angeles, while 22 cast ballots for Feinstein and 94 voted for no endorsement.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What minimum wage is she fighting for, since she has already rejected $15 as too high for Iowa...?

As far as Blum goes, at least he does have some level of technology expertise (due to his internet ventures)...it’s the classic experienced (old/white) Tea Party businessman vs. inspirational (female) political ingenue.  Iowans did give Obama a shot, but they also rejected HRC soundly and anyone under 30 running for statewide office isn’t going to have an easy time of it.  It’s also not a race where you can easily make it all about getting out the women’s vote due to Roe v. Wade/Kavanaugh and Kim Reynolds both changing the landscape there.

How much of Blum’s $15-20 million is he going to put into the race personally to attempt to retain his seat?

His internet ventures that prey on real people, and that he failed to disclose on his Congressional financial forms leading to ethics violations? Yeah. Definitely a strength for his campaign. #eyeroll

I honestly can't talk much about the race, but the bolded is just plain wrong. What we're doing is working. I wish I could be less cryptic.

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

His internet ventures that prey on real people, and that he failed to disclose on his Congressional financial forms leading to ethics violations? Yeah. Definitely a strength for his campaign. #eyeroll

I honestly can't talk much about the race, but the bolded is just plain wrong. What we're doing is working. I wish I could be less cryptic.

Well, there are huge problems with IA Medicaid (surprise, surprise) but I’m not sure that’s a compelling argument for most independents...

17 hours ago, Reddy said:

She's already lost a lot of that oxygen thanks to the last week or so. She got a majority of 12% of a Bronx/Queens electorate. It's hardly a mandate. And people are going to be SO turned off by her campaigning around the midwest. Sit and watch it play out.

Hardly a mandate? A 12% margin of victory is considered a landslide in politics. For perspective, the last president to win a presidential election by 12% or more won the electoral vote 525-13. 12% is about as close to a mandate as you'll get in the political world.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reddy said:

And I didn't say anything about progressive policy. I said it about self-titled progressives and the way they idolize and worship their candidates.

"I support all progressive policies, but literally no candidates who will enact those policies."

See the contradiction here?

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Hardly a mandate? A 12% margin of victory is considered a landslide in politics. For perspective, the last president to win a presidential election by 12% or more won the electoral vote 525-13. 12% is about as close to a mandate as you'll get in the political world.

You misunderstand. That 12% was the turnout in the primary. I'm not talking margin of victory.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

"I support all progressive policies, but literally no candidates who will enact those policies."

See the contradiction here?

Your thoughts on Sharice Davids?

Anyways, I'll be surprised if Finkenauer doesn't win. D +1 district that includes Waterloo, Cedar Rapids and Dubuque. District has more registered democrats than republicans, also a lot of area that before the 2016 election was traditionally bluer than the area around it (the Driftless area). Could there be a wholesale change to the right for that area? Could be, but its yet to be seen if crossing over to Trump is a one time thing based on a candidate or a sign of a larger shift.

4 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Anyways, I'll be surprised if Finkenauer doesn't win. D +1 district that includes Waterloo, Cedar Rapids and Dubuque. District has more registered democrats than republicans, also a lot of area that before the 2016 election was traditionally bluer than the area around it (the Driftless area). Could there be a wholesale change to the right for that area? Could be, but its yet to be seen if crossing over to Trump is a one time thing based on a candidate or a sign of a larger shift.

Incumbency is a helluva drug, but yeah, we've definitely got a lot going for us. Front page of the NY Times today!

7 hours ago, Reddy said:

oh, and on the plus side, we've got Bernie supporters and Hillary supporters alike making up the base of our org here in IA. Pretty great to see.

What other choice do they have?  It’s up to individual candidates to create the enthusiasm, however.

Fwiw, the heart of the Trump Revolution was SE Minnesota, NE Iowa, SW Wisconsin, W-NW Illinois.   That’s also why Cheri Bustos gets brought up over and over again, for being able to successfully speak to those voters.  On the GOP side, it’s Will Hurd holding down the biggest Congressional district in the country, a Texas district that’s majority Latino while he is biracial (half white, half African American.)

California Democratic Party leaders took a step to the left Saturday night, endorsing liberal state lawmaker Kevin de León for Senate in a stinging rebuke of Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

De León's victory reflected the increasing strength of the state party's liberal activist core, which was energized by the election of Republican Donald Trump as president.

The endorsement was an embarrassment for Feinstein, who is running for a fifth full term, and indicates that Democratic activists in California have soured on her reputation for pragmatism and deference to bipartisanship as Trump and a Republican-led Congress are attacking Democratic priorities on immigration, healthcare and environmental protections.

De León, a former state Senate leader from Los Angeles, received 65% of the vote of about 330 members of the state party's executive board -- more than the 60% needed to secure the endorsement. Feinstein, who pleaded with party leaders meeting in Oakland this weekend not to endorse any candidate, received 7%, and 28% voted for "no endorsement."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-senate-feinstein-de-leon-endorsement-20180714-story.html

It would be great to see Feinstein dumped.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:35 PM, Reddy said:

Meet the Native American gay woman candidate that AOC is traveling to Kansas to campaign AGAINST:

AOC and Sanders went to campaign for Brent Welder.  They aren't going to run against someone.  It's not like they are going to run attack ads on Davids.

Probably because Welder supports medicare for all and 15$ minimum wage.

Edited by GoSox05

20 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

AOC and Sanders went to campaign for Brent Welder.  They aren't going to run against someone.  It's not like they are going to run attack ads on Davids.

Probably because Welder supports medicare for all and 15$ minimum wage.

I’m pretty sure Greg’s Kansas (or Westboro Baptist) is not quite ready for Davids quite yet...that type of campaign works better with suburban soccer moms in Johnson County than outlying/rural areas.

Sylvia Williams from Leawood is the seventh Democrat and second woman in the race.

Like the other six candidates, Williams has never held public office.

A recently retired banker who grew up in southeast Kansas, Williams says Congress needs people with financial experience but focused on the middle class. “They don’t care about the stock market," she says. “We need to get some policies passed that help small businesses. We need to get policies passed that help kids in college have better accessibility to financing for their college loans.”

Williams says she does not want to arm teachers and she would support an assault weapons ban.

She also says she supports women’s issues and embraces diversity.

Also in the race is Sharice Davids, an economic development consultant, Tom Niermann, a teacher, Chris Haulmark, an IT executive, Brent Welder, a labor lawyer, Jay Sidie a businessman who ran against Yoder in 2016 and Mike McCamon who also has a technology background.

kcur.com

Edited by caulfield12