2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

A GOP congressman once lamented not being able to call women 'sluts' anymore

"Well, the thing is, can we call anybody a slut? This is what begs the question. Take this woman out of it, take Rush out of it for a moment," Lewis said in a March 2012 episode. "Does a woman now have the right to behave -- and I know there's a double standard between the way men chase women and running and running around -- you know, I'm not going to get there, but you know what I'm talking about. But it used to be that women were held to a little bit of a higher standard. We required modesty from women. Now, are we beyond those days where a woman can behave as a slut, but you can't call her a slut?"

It's just Trump, not a party full of psycho paths.

7 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

A GOP congressman once lamented not being able to call women 'sluts' anymore

It's just Trump, not a party full of psycho paths.

They had reported on his past comments on slavery prior to the 2016 election, but he still won

http://www.startribune.com/lewis-book-offers-provocative-analysis-on-slavery-and-civil-rights/369306761/

In his book, "Power Divided is Power Checked: The Argument for States' RightsLewis also wrote that President Abraham Lincoln "exploited the issue" of slavery, adding the Civil War, or what Lewis called the "War Between the States," had "more to do with secession" than slavery. 

When asked if the Civil War was worth fighting during an interview in 2011 about his book, Lewis did not respond with a clear answer and eventually said it was "kinda hard to say."

In his criticism of the court's ruling which legalized same-sex marriage, Lewis questions the federal government's role in defining marriage and also in outlawing slavery:

In fact, if you really want to be quite frank about it, how does somebody else owning a slave affect me? It doesn’t. If I don’t think it is right, I won’t own one, and people always say ‘well if you don’t want to marry somebody of the same sex, you don’t have to, but why tell somebody else they can’t.  Uh, you know if you don’t want to own a slave, don’t. But don’t tell other people they can’t.

21 hours ago, raBBit said:

Says the guy who supports jailing journalists. I know next to nothing about Robinson and I am sure I'll get called a bunch of names but there is no way a journalist should be in jail for filming outside of a trial. 

My understanding is that he was filming in the courtroom, which is illegal. He was asked several times to desist from the practice, and when he persisted, he was rightfully held in contempt of court. That's not a journalist being jailed, that's a criminal facing consequences.

Don’t see the title “journalist” anywhere near his Wikipedia entry...maybe Rabbit can amend it and see what happens, haha.

Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon (born 27 November 1982[3]), known by the pseudonym Tommy Robinson, and previously as Andrew McMaster and Paul Harris,[4]is an English far-right activist[5] who co-founded and served as spokesman and leader of the English Defence League (EDL),[6] from which he resigned in 2013. For a short time in 2012, he was joint party vice-chairman of the British Freedom Party.

He led the EDL from 2009 until 8 October 2013. He continued as an activist, and in 2015 became involved with the development of Pegida UK, a British chapter of the German-based Pegida organisation (Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West).[7]

In May 2018, Robinson was sentenced to 13 months imprisonment for contempt of court after publishing a Facebook Live video of defendants entering a law court, contrary to a court order to prevent reporting those specific trials while proceedings are ongoing.[8]That sentence included activation of an earlier 3 month suspended sentence for a similar earlier contempt of court. 

He wrote for The Rebel Media and wrote an autobiography, Enemy of the State, and Mohammed's Koran: Why Muslims Kill for Islam, together with Peter McLoughlin.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/politics/2020-democrats-rankings/index.html

Chris Cilizza put out a list of Top 10 Dem candidates for president and will update every month...a bit surprised Holder and Bullock are so high.

Seems to be favoring Warren over Sanders mostly on gender (see Harris and Gilibrand).

Still Biden’s pole position to lose at this point.  Trump’s already leading with his Crazy Joe attacks.

18 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am glad we are at the point where Wikipedia is the standard. I am not sure what you are looking at or if China has a different wikipedia but there's an entire section titled "2017-present: JOURNALISM and further convictions."

It seems Reddy has never read and acknowledged the filibuster rules. It seems you are breaking or toeing the line of all the rules below. Please refer to the rules and sign in the thread above if you want to continue posting in the filibuster.

1. I will not insult other posters, directly or indirectly - Calling someone a liar and saying they've gone "full trump" or "GOP"

3. I will not bait people or push them over the line (a.k.a. pushing their buttons) - This post was not relevant. It was solely meant to attack a poster.

4. I will not post statements for the purpose of angering others - Your post had no point other than to put someone down

5. I will not prod posters repeatedly on a subject or chase them across topics to make a point - This is not the first time you've done this and again, wasn't relevant.

6. I will try to make posts that actually add to the discussion at hand - Failed.

Please acknowledge and consider the rules before posting in the filibuster again. 

He didn't call you a liar, but even if he did, if you post lies, calling you a liar is not an insult. Also, glad to know you consider "full Trump" and "full GOP" to be insults. It would be a stretch to say he actually broke any of those rules.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

As I said - "or toeing the line." If you think his post had any other purpose than to push buttons and anger someone I don't know what to tell you.  He's instigating and it's really that simple.

Then I assume you will be making no observations about the behavior of other posters in this forum? Because that's basically all he did. If you consider someone commenting on your behavior to be instigating, perhaps you should change your behavior?

Trump is the master of “woe is me-ism/everyone’s out to get me.”

But he loves to attack nearly everyone else...just doesn’t react particularly well when it’s turned back on him.  It’s the classic mixture of hubris and complete lack of empathy, served up every day.

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/politics/2020-democrats-rankings/index.html

Chris Cilizza put out a list of Top 10 Dem candidates for president and will update every month...a bit surprised Holder and Bullock are so high.

Seems to be favoring Warren over Sanders mostly on gender (see Harris and Gilibrand).

Still Biden’s pole position to lose at this point.  Trump’s already leading with his Crazy Joe attacks.

Chris Cilizza has the politics of a 4 year old.  He is honestly one of the worst at covering anything political.

Also, Joe Biden would be a disaster and would get crushed in a general election. 

8 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Chris Cilizza has the politics of a 4 year old.  He is honestly one of the worst at covering anything political.

Also, Joe Biden would be a disaster and would get crushed in a general election. 

Why do you think that about Biden? Just curious.

Heard Rush’s fill-in today making fun of that list and Ocasio-Cortez’s knowledge of Middle East economics.

Right now, there’s certainly nobody that scares you if you’re Trump.  That’s probably a good thing, if he underestimates his opponents, as opposed to taking them quite seriously.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Trump is going after Reddy....campaign stop/rally in Dubuque this week .

Love it. The VP two weeks ago, Trump now. They must have seen our polling :P 

9 hours ago, Reddy said:

Like sexism?

Well he does have a history of being a grabby kinda guy, so yeah that will probably come up. 

I was referring more to his positions like being a hawk, ties to banks, wanting to put lots of people in jail.  Anti-Medicare for all.

Although, I do think he would go to Wisconsin and Michigan.  So he would probably do slightly better.

6 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Well he does have a history of being a grabby kinda guy, so yeah that will probably come up. 

I was referring more to his positions like being a hawk, ties to banks, wanting to put lots of people in jail.  Anti-Medicare for all.

Although, I do think he would go to Wisconsin and Michigan.  So he would probably do slightly better.

Which is all he'd need.

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Yes, another centrist war hawk that wants to make life easier for big banks is exactly what we need in a President. We haven't seen any of those recently.

wrong shade of green.

also it's absurd that you could possibly paint any dem as a war hawk when compared to what we're dealing with right now. 

2 hours ago, Heads22 said:

It tells me that they are actually worried about IA-1, which they should be.

This.

But tweeting "tariffs are the greatest!" two days before an appearance in Iowa may not have been the BRIGHTEST idea our Dear Leader has ever had.