White Sox acquire Joakim Soria, Luis Avilan and $3 Million

Sleepy Harold

Don't care for the trade either way. No cost except money which the sox have plenty available due to the low payroll but also no real gain.

Yeah you could say they need relievers but honestly they are already projected to be a last place team next year, so why not lose 95+ and get another top3 pick (which might happen anyway fangraphs actually projects them as the worst team of the majors)

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
The fact that no team was willing to take Jake Peter in the rule 5 kind of makes you think losing him isn't going to bite you on the ass one day.

The Dodgers, the team known for having endless resources and scouting and depth, clearly wanted him, which at least tells me they'll give him a shot. Rule 5 is riskier since you're stuck with him taking up a roster spot- and given how much depth they have, it would be hard for them to afford having an unproven guy taking up a spot all year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
Friedman and Hahn have a pretty good working relationship. Guessing dodgers needed Team to take salary to work out, called one Sox

Hahn should leverage that relationship to raid their farm by taking on some or all (depending on what else is coming back) of the Kemp deal.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:40 PM)
The Dodgers, the team known for having endless resources and scouting and depth, clearly wanted him, which at least tells me they'll give him a shot. Rule 5 is riskier since you're stuck with him taking up a roster spot- and given how much depth they have, it would be hard for them to afford having an unproven guy taking up a spot all year.

for the Dodgers, no he wouldn't stick all year. But there are several other teams if he was moderately thought of, could have at least taken a shot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
Friedman and Hahn have a pretty good working relationship. Guessing dodgers needed Team to take salary to work out, called one Sox

That is exactly how I see it. They basically got a free reliever for taking on Soria to make the Dodgers end of things work. Peter is a nothing in this trade as the Sox were willing to let him go for nothing.

Soria is a horrific baseball pitcher, but he won't be with the Sox when they contend so no biggie. It will be annoying to see him pitch next season, however, on the South Side. Royals fans are dancing in the streets getting rid of Soria.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:45 PM)
Soria is a horrific baseball pitcher, but he won't be with the Sox when they contend so no biggie. It will be annoying to see him pitch next season, however, on the South Side. Royals fans are dancing in the streets getting rid of Soria.

Want to bet the house?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:45 AM)

Significantly better than Kelvin Herrera last year

I tend to agree with you. I thin he is pretty much done. He kept the ball in the park last year, but if he reverts to his 2016 form, it will be souvenir time in the bleachers. But worth the flier getting the lefty.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 07:49 PM)
I tend to agree with you. I thin he is pretty much done. He kept the ball in the park last year, but if he reverts to his 2016 form, it will be souvenir time in the bleachers. But worth the flier getting the lefty.

if he reverts to his 2016 form, then it improves our draft pick. At the very least, this gets us out of the "no one in the bullpen knows who will get the ball in the 9th" situation we were in after the trades last year, and if someone else earns the position away from him, great!

I am not blasting the trade as it's not contention time yet, but some Tweets from Royals fans. ...

Thank god I no longer have to exchange Ffffff Soria texts with my brother while i watch him piss away the lead!

Well we just now sent Soria to the South Side of Chicago!! Rejoice!!!

SORIA IS GONE FROM THE ROYALS!!!!!! KC ITS TIME TO THROW A PARADE!!!

Soria has a truckload of blown saves the last two years. Shipping him to someone that you play 19 times may be worth a few wins.

He’s gone!! No more mad Soria tweets ever again!!

Best news in a long time!!!

Yes the fans here despise Soria. The only hope is Coop might fix him. Coop is that good. If Coop can't fix him he's perfect for those fans who want to make sure we blow leads we might have late in the game to get a better draft pick.

Edited by greg775

Send us a selfie and prove it.

I don't get the pessimism with Soria. He's had one bad year ever and that year was hardly a total s***show by White Sox standards. We're going to get something much nicer than Jake Peter in return for him at the deadline.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:09 AM)
I don't get the pessimism with Soria. He's had one bad year ever and that year was hardly a total s***show by White Sox standards. We're going to get something much nicer than Jake Peter in return for him at the deadline.

The pessimism is well founded. he's that bad. Seriously, he may have made the decision for me to not get mlb.com this year. I'll go crazy watching him pitch. Perfect though, again, for those who want one more tank season. He's perfect cause nobody can accuse the Sox of tanking cause he has a name and makes a good buck. But he will get the tank job done. I'm not lying when I say Royals fans are rejoicing. It's better for them than New Year's Rockin Eve.