**President Trump 2018 Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 12:07 PM)
I've got liberal friends who gobble his s*** up, I try to talk sense into them but it's like talking to Hannity/Fox personalities, reason won't prevail.

I watch his show. I don't agree with everything, but he does have some interesting guests. I didn't agree with the Trump book author insinuating a Trump/Nikki Haley affair. If he didn't want to actually put it in his book, his hint wasn't necessary. But that one wasn't on Maher.

He had another guy on who made an interesting point about the republicans who say the Russians interfered for Hillary. His point being, if they really thought that, wouldn't they want to sanction the s*** out of them instead of the exact opposite?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
So you admit that the economy got better under Obama but he didn't get enough credit for it. But if the economy suddenly started getting worse under Trump, it somehow wouldn't be his fault?

What I'm saying is it's 100 percent partisan how most see it. The economy is allegedly better. Since Trump has only been in a year, the Demos are saying, "Duh, it's because of Obama." The Trump-ies are saying, "Trump has completely turned around the economy. The stock market is so confident in him it's amazing."

My stance? You won't like it. My stance is I have no idea. I'm not the smartest cat on some issues and economy is one of them. My gut feeling is this is not an all-Obama fueled economic resurgence.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 12:16 PM)
I watch his show. I don't agree with everything, but he does have some interesting guests. I didn't agree with the Trump book author insinuating a Trump/Nikki Haley affair. If he didn't want to actually put it in his book, his hint wasn't necessary. But that one wasn't on Maher.

He had another guy on who made an interesting point about the republicans who say the Russians interfered for Hillary. His point being, if they really thought that, wouldn't they want to sanction the s*** out of them instead of the exact opposite?

Maher says enough bad s*** consistent enough to invalidate the good things he says. Sure, he has his good moments but I'd rather not have him be such a public figure for the left, because he takes crazy stances too often.

I want liberals to snuff the crazy out and be better than the right when it comes to their public figures. I hate the #bothsides argument that people bring up with this because frankly I expect liberals to act better than republicans at this point. I don't want them to stoop to the right's standards. To me, any liberal who wants to stoop lower is a hypocrite and is hurting the cause more than helping.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:54 PM)
Maher says enough bad s*** consistent enough to invalidate the good things he says. Sure, he has his good moments but I'd rather not have him be such a public figure for the left, because he takes crazy stances too often.

I want liberals to snuff the crazy out and be better than the right when it comes to their public figures. I hate the #bothsides argument that people bring up with this because frankly I expect liberals to act better than republicans at this point. I don't want them to stoop to the right's standards. To me, any liberal who wants to stoop lower is a hypocrite and is hurting the cause more than helping.

The problem is that extremes are generating the clicks. Otherwise Hannity wouldnt be the poster boy of an entire network.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 01:12 PM)
What I'm saying is it's 100 percent partisan how most see it. The economy is allegedly better. Since Trump has only been in a year, the Demos are saying, "Duh, it's because of Obama." The Trump-ies are saying, "Trump has completely turned around the economy. The stock market is so confident in him it's amazing."

My stance? You won't like it. My stance is I have no idea. I'm not the smartest cat on some issues and economy is one of them. My gut feeling is this is not an all-Obama fueled economic resurgence.

See, that's the thing. He didn't "completely turn around" anything. He just didn't screw up the continuing trend. There's a difference.

It's like if an MLB team was on pace for a 100 win season and they hired a new manager in the middle of the season and went on to win the division and make the playoffs. Would you give the new manager all the credit for winning or would a large chunk of it go to the old manager?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 01:37 PM)
apropos of nothing, 77% of Republicans think Trump is a good role model for children.

That number would not change much if he were to ever "shoot someone on 5th Avenue", as he likes to put it.

Why does he need $25 billion?

The wall is probably $8 billion, which is a tiny fraction of the money that we lose with Mexico. We lose a tremendous amount of trade deficits. We have a trade deficit with Mexico that is astronomical, much bigger than that. We will get -- and I say it also is also part of my plan -- Mexico is going to pay for the wall," he said.

Why don't the Koch's pay for the wall? They're only donating $400 million to the GOP to TRY to maintain control of Congress. We're all about government/private partnerships these days, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fearing-democrat...-025913732.html

Ironically, they want what amounts to open immigration/amnesty and completely free trade, as it benefits Koch Industries much more than the opposite. Why? Because it provides them a cheap/er source of labor.

But the Koch network still diverges from the Republican president on issues such as immigration and trade. The Kochs strongly support legislation that would protect “Dreamers” - people brought illegally to the United States as children - from deportation.

Two Koch operatives, Daniel Garza and Jorge Lima, were at the White House on Friday to try to help broker a deal with Congress over the Dreamers. The network issued a statement on Friday disagreeing with a proposal in Trump's immigration blueprint that would set new limits on legal immigration.

On trade, Phillips and other Koch operatives are deeply concerned about the administration’s moves to impose tariffs on some imports and ardently support the North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico, which is being renegotiated and that Trump has threatened to abandon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fearing-democrat...-025913732.html

Edited by caulfield12

The Republicans are telegraphing this from a mile away.

Try to pin the blame on Rosenstein for authorizing FISA "wiretaps" on Carter Page (ignoring what they might have learned to do with the financial intricacies of the Trump/Moscow ties).

Fire Rod Rosenstein. Also, continue to press the FBI (McCabe, due to his wife's ties to former VA governor and Hillary bestie Terry McAuliffe) and Rosenstein (despite being a Republican appointee) as "bad actors" conspiring to deny Trump's greatness.

Replace Rosenstein with a Trump "stooge" for the GOP who will sacrifice his career by falling on the sword of firing Mueller and starting a constitutional crisis. Or Rachel Brand (would take Rosenstein's place) makes those decisions herself and plays ball with Trump...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix...m=.ff7fd199b907

But while firing Mueller appears to be off the table — for now, at least — this person could also hypothetically make more Trump-friendly decisions in other ways.

“He could install someone who would limit Mueller in subtle ways that are defensible,” former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti said. “Under the special counsel regulations, the attorney general (or acting attorney general, in this case) can ask Mueller for explanations of his actions and overrule them.”

The immediate question would seem to be whether Brand fits the bill. The other big question would be whether Republicans would allow Trump to pick a more sympathetic deputy attorney general.

The Times reported last week that Trump viewed Brand as being preferable to Rosenstein. Whether that's because he knows anything about Brand or simply dislikes Rosenstein — who he's wrongly suggested is a Democrat and has privately said is a threat to his presidency — isn't clear. Rosenstein is a holdover from the Obama administration but was reappointed by Trump and was first appointed in the George W. Bush administration; Brand also served in the Bush administration but not the Obama administration.

“It seems like there is an assumption that Brand can be pushed around on this,” Zeidenberg said. “I have no idea if that is true, but she was never questioned on it during her confirmation and, obviously, made no pledges.”

But Matthew Miller, a former top official in the Obama-era Justice Department, said he doesn't believe Brand would be a pushover.

“She doesn’t have any criminal experience that I’m aware of, and that’s a huge part of the job,” Miller said. “But from everything I know about her, she would follow the law and not be a toady for Trump. She’s fairly well respected.”

Which brings us to Rosenstein's replacement as deputy attorney general. This person would be subject to confirmation by the Republican-controlled Senate, which could push that pick through with a bare majority. But given that Republicans only have an effective 51-49 majority and can lose only two votes one vote (uncertainty about McCain), the furor set off by getting rid of Rosenstein would probably make it difficult to replace him with, in Miller's words, a “toady for Trump.”

Edited by caulfield12

Max Boot: President Trump has already destroyed America‘s reputation

Trump doesn’t seem to realize that a great part of America’s appeal abroad has been its role as a paragon and champion of liberal democratic values.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2...cas-reputation/

Republicans used to bash President Barack Obama for alienating American allies, but Trump is turning off our partners as no one ever has. According to Gallup, “Portugal, Belgium, Norway and Canada led the declines worldwide, with approval ratings of U.S. leadership dropping 40 points or more in each country.” All four of those countries are NATO members — i.e., among the closest allies America has. The situation has gotten so bad that Trump can’t even visit the United Kingdom, America’s closest friend for the past century.

Meanwhile, Freedom House notes, the integrity of America’s political system was undermined by “growing evidence of Russian interference in the 2016 election campaign and a lack of action by the Trump administration either to condemn or to prevent a reoccurrence of such meddling.” Far from trying to stop the Russian interference, Trump seems intent on stopping any probe of what the Russians were (and are) up to.

Trump’s assault on democracy at home has been accompanied by a near-total lack of interest in promoting human rights abroad — except as a cynical cudgel against the anti-American dictators of Venezuela and Iran. Not surprisingly, illiberal powers such as Russia and China are rushing into the vacuum America leaves behind. As Freedom House notes, “Moscow and Beijing are single-minded in their identification of democracy as a threat to their oppressive regimes, and they work relentlessly, with increasing sophistication, to undermine its institutions and cripple its principal advocates.”

Little wonder, then, that Freedom House found that “71 countries suffered net declines in political rights and civil liberties, with only 35 registering gains. This marked the 12th consecutive year of decline in global freedom.”

Britain was said to have acquired its empire in “a fit of absence of mind.” America is losing its global power in the same way. Through ignorance and malice, Trump is destroying the foundations of American influence that previous leaders spent three-quarters of a century erecting. When it comes to “soft power,” he is engaging in unilateral disarmament — and that in turn will have dire consequences for American security and prosperity.

Trump is ending the Pax Americana and helping to usher in either a Chinese Century or a new global disorder where there is no international law and life is “nasty, brutish and short.”

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:33 PM)
Trump violating the Constitution by not enforcing sanctions. Dereliction of duty.

House GOP responds by opening an investigation into the DOJ and FBI

Just straight up refusing to enforce a law that passed with huge majorities. And the response is to deepen their cover up.

Getting harder and harder to see a political path back to normalcy from all of this.

COMPLICIT certainly will be one of the main themes the DEMS will try to run in every contested HOUSE and SENATE rate...

But the Democrats need to convince those American families earning less than $75,000 per year that they 1) actually care about them and 2) have a plan that will actually provide something better for them (financially) than the last 25-30 years when Clinton and Obama were in office.

Edited by caulfield12

You mean Rod Rosenstein, he’s a registered Republican...Lol.

Russian sanctions, passed nearly unanimously on 419-3 and 98-2 votes.

Trump Cronyism 1, American Democracy 0

Sanctions on specific entities or individuals will not need to be imposed because the legislation is, in fact, serving as a deterrent," a State Department official said. HAHAHAHAHA!

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert asserted the legislation had already deterred Russian defense sales. "Since the enactment of the CAATSA legislation, we estimate that foreign governments have abandoned planned or announced purchases of several billion dollars in Russian defense acquisitions," she said in a statement.

Source:dedebulscnn.com

Trump Should Have Announced Europe is Open for Business In Davos

Sure, the United States is growing at a nice clip. But Europe's economy is expanding at an even faster rate.

Economic growth in the 19 countries that use the euro currency surged by 2.5% in 2017, according to official data published Tuesday. Growth in the 28-member European Union was also up 2.5% last year.

It's the best period of growth for both groupings since 2007, putting Europe just ahead of the 2.3% expansion posted by the U.S. in 2017.

Europe, which has suffered years of anemic growth caused by a series of debt crises, is part of a global economic resurgence that could continue in 2018.

"Anything the U.S. economy can do the eurozone economy can do, slightly better it seems," said Jacob Deppe, head of trading at online currency broker Infinox Capital.

Edited by caulfield12