More Sox Managerial names

winninguglyin83

You win Rex. :cheers

I don't disagree with the premise of the point you were trying to make at all. I just think the tone of the way the Sox play was set 3-4 years ago and without personnel, it is not like Manuel could have just walked into the locker room and say "Hey guys, I think we need to change how we play today". Could subtle changes have been made in the off-season? Sure

But without changing personnel, I don't think expecting the 2003 Sox to play small ball was realistic. If anything, a change in philosophy could have come from the change in hitting coach. He is realistically more responsible for talking to the hitters about their approach at the plate than the manager.

FWIW and that may be nothing, but I have heard from multiple directions that George Brett is an all-out asshole.

I've met him before...and yeah...asshole is one of the words that fits nicely. He was decent when I met him, not friendly but not mean, but it was in the clubhouse of a Royals spring training game down in Florida some years back and he was just walking around b****ing and moaning and yelling at people. It was rediculous.

JMHO here, but I think we could do that very easily.  You telling me Alomar, Lee, Ordonez, Everett, Valentin, and Olivo couldn't steal the bases, play aggressively, and become better baserunners overall?  That we couldn't have gotten Rowand, Graffy, and Harris involved in the game more?  Or thar more bunting couldn't have happened?  How about the hit-and-run?  We could have done a ton of those things more often...and I didn't even scratch the surface of NL style of play.

It's all a matter of execution.  We couldn't do it very often, because we didn't try it very often.

I know I am simplifying this, but if our players just tried to hit line drives and go the other way and move runners over, i can almost guarantee you that we would be in the playoffs right now. These players are capable.

It's so simple, it's brilliant. That is exactly why we are not playing the Yankees right now. And we'd beat those s.o.b.'s too.

Ozzie Guillen had no patience at the plate and I do not recall him being all that great of a fundamental player, just what we need.  His persona may be cute but I think this would be a tragic hiring.

Not to mention he pretty much told the fans we don't need you.

:fyou Guillen. We don't need HIM!

But Molitor usually gets good reviews and was mentioned as a possibility with the Twinkies if Gardenhire had bombed.

Rumor up here is that Molitor was rather upset that he was passed over when they gave the job to Gardy. Molitor is not one to complain in public so there could be some hurt feelings there.

Just a thought here but do any of these new candidates have any experience with managing the pitching staff?? :huh:

IMHO I thought that was one of Jerrys biggest weaknesses. He was terrible! The lack of support for Garland, the Cotts in NY decision, and the failure to find a decent solution for the 5th starter problem that we had ALL YEAR! :bang:

I would feel a hell of a lot better if we had a man with experience dealing with a Major league rotation. Like Gaston

Molitor is worthy of all respect and consideration

I meant consideration for the Twins job when Gardenhire got it. I thought Molitor basically eliminated himself from being considered at the time.

And again, not to bash Molitor, but what do you think would make him a better choice than Backman?

I meant consideration for the Twins job when Gardenhire got it.  I thought Molitor basically eliminated himself from being considered at the time.

And again, not to bash Molitor, but what do you think would make him a better choice than Backman?

I knew what you meant and did not amke that clear in my post, sorry.

I have no basis of picking Molitor over Backman. Backman has been my candidate although I like the Gaston possibility. I think Backman and Molitor deserve serious interviews, they are both worthy and quality candidates who bring a lot to the table, with their own pluses and minuses, and let those who hire find the basis for picking one over the other.