SoxFest Updates Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 08:59 PM)
OK, I opened this can of worms I suppose.

For the record, our relationship with the Sox has, overall, been very good. We've been able to interview Rick Hahn, Jeremy Faber (Asst GM), Nick Hostetler (Scouting Director), Marco Paddy (Intl Director), Chris Getz (Dir of Player Dev) and others with the big club. We'd previously been one of just two blogs credentialed to SoxFest (the other was SSS). They've let us into the secure area of the back fields at Camelback. We have been credentialed at every affiliate (though that's more them than the Sox).

But in this case, what Scott explained was that it was a problem of time and demand. The number of requests was such that they were afraid that outlets would not get to spend the time they wanted with the players, prospects and coaches during the 45 minute scrum if there were too many press there. So they had to find a way to limit it, and non-traditional media is lowest on the priority list.

I don't necessarily agree with the way they did this, just reporting what the Sox told us. And I do get the logic, even if it isn't great.

Scott did have effusive praise for FutureSox, FWIW.

Sometimes it’s just best to leave well enough alone and move on. Future sox is a great resource but by taking the high road you score a lot of points with the organization

Well the rumor was we offered A-Rod 10/$190M back in the day. Tanaka is another one we know about. What did Alex Gordon ultimately sign for? I thought there was a rumor we offered more than the Royals, although that might not have been nine figure. I’m pretty sure we made a massive offer to Torii Hunter, although that was probably closer to $80M. I’m sure there are some we don’t know about. I fully expect us to set a new club record next record next offseason and by an insane margin.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 05:07 PM)
When does a rebuild complete exactly?

I feel like the goal is always to have awesome players at every position. Some of those are going to come through free agency and trades. The whole point of having a farm system is to supplement the major league roster.

I'm not really forecasting I've just been hearing some conflicting statements. At the end of last year he was talking about 2020 being the earliest where we could realistically be competitive.

Now he's talking about trying to make trades for ML players like Machado and Yelich suggesting the window changed. I guess the question what caused him to change his thinking?

“Both Avi and Abreu are under control for the next two years, through 2019. I think even under the most optimistic projections of our ability to contend, certainly ’18 and ’19 don’t include the bulk of the time when we anticipate having a window open to us,” Hahn said. “So obviously with any player who isn’t controllable through the bulk of that window, we have to make an assessment."

I think for me if the plan is 2020 which makes perfect sense lets make the 2020 team as good as possible with as many controllable assets as possible. It also gives us ammunition to make a deals if we need to as well.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 03:50 PM)
Rick Hahn is the voice for the entire organization. Ownership doesn’t give many interviews, so it’s the job of Hahn to speak for the franchise. Because of that, he has to hedge in interviews a bit. He can’t come out and say “Listen, 2018 and 2019 are going to be a mess from a W-L perspective. If you want to see wins, go someplace else.” It’s a marketing disaster.

On top of that, why can’t the plan change? What if the team as currently constructed goes out and wins 82 games with huge seasons from Moncada, Anderson, Giolitio, ect. 2019 is just supposed to be a lost year because it was never part of the plan? Things can change.

Great post.

I do think, however, Hahn doesn't even have to give a year he hopes to first contend. Fans of the rebuild gladly will wait. It's the part of all this I don't understand. The huge majority of fans love losing as long as it's part of a rebuild.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)
Great post.

I do think, however, Hahn doesn't even have to give a year he hopes to first contend. Fans of the rebuild gladly will wait. It's the part of all this I don't understand. The huge majority of fans love losing as long as it's part of a rebuild.

(Continues to overlook the point of rebuilding)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)
(Continues to overlook the point of rebuilding)

Funny thing is, is that if the rumors were flipped and it was reported the Sox had no interest in Machado or Yelich this winter, these same people would be complaining about it. Whiners are gonna whine. :lol:

One thing ignored is that Hahn has said repeatedly they would continue to seek players that can be apart of the next contender and come with long term control. Yelich fits that and until Machado made clear that he would not sign an extension, so did he. I see no inconsistencies whatsoever coming from Hahn.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 08:27 PM)
Funny thing is, is that if the rumors were flipped and it was reported the Sox had no interest in Machado or Yelich this winter, these same people would be complaining about it. Whiners are gonna whine. :lol:

One thing ignored is that Hahn has said repeatedly they would continue to seek players that can be apart of the next contender and come with long term control. Yelich fits that and until Machado made clear that he would not sign an extension, so did he. I see no inconsistencies whatsoever coming from Hahn.

Wrong.

Whiners are not going to always whine if you are referring to me. I've accepted the rebuild and am not clamoring for trying to acquire Machado or Yelich. In fact, I don't want to suddenly trade the young guys Hahn has stockpiled. There are plenty of things I've praised about the Sox on my time on this board. Some things, however, make me mad as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 09:41 AM)
I'm not really forecasting I've just been hearing some conflicting statements. At the end of last year he was talking about 2020 being the earliest where we could realistically be competitive.

Now he's talking about trying to make trades for ML players like Machado and Yelich suggesting the window changed. I guess the question what caused him to change his thinking?

"Both Avi and Abreu are under control for the next two years, through 2019. I think even under the most optimistic projections of our ability to contend, certainly '18 and '19 don't include the bulk of the time when we anticipate having a window open to us," Hahn said. "So obviously with any player who isn't controllable through the bulk of that window, we have to make an assessment."

I think for me if the plan is 2020 which makes perfect sense lets make the 2020 team as good as possible with as many controllable assets as possible. It also gives us ammunition to make a deals if we need to as well.

2019 COULD be the "one year early" that the Cubs and Astros experienced.

Of course, that would require landing Machado/Harper/Donaldson (the last one, let's wait on his 2018 season) and Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, Gio, Lopez, Hansen, Rodon, Anderson, etc., making huge leaps forward.

It would also require that offseason investment into the makings of a competent bullpen (there are at least 3-4 elite or close to elite closers on market next year), rather than a "not so terrible it won't destroy team morale" version.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 01:27 PM)

Machado made it clear he wouldn't sign an extension years ago. The whole trade talk with him is still a major question mark.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:59 PM)
OK, I opened this can of worms I suppose.

For the record, our relationship with the Sox has, overall, been very good. We've been able to interview Rick Hahn, Jeremy Faber (Asst GM), Nick Hostetler (Scouting Director), Marco Paddy (Intl Director), Chris Getz (Dir of Player Dev) and others with the big club. We'd previously been one of just two blogs credentialed to SoxFest (the other was SSS). They've let us into the secure area of the back fields at Camelback. We have been credentialed at every affiliate (though that's more them than the Sox).

But in this case, what Scott explained was that it was a problem of time and demand. The number of requests was such that they were afraid that outlets would not get to spend the time they wanted with the players, prospects and coaches during the 45 minute scrum if there were too many press there. So they had to find a way to limit it, and non-traditional media is lowest on the priority list.

I don't necessarily agree with the way they did this, just reporting what the Sox told us. And I do get the logic, even if it isn't great.

Scott did have effusive praise for FutureSox, FWIW.

Was really disappointed by the decision to shut out RedlineRadio and, moreso, you guys. I'm glad you shared the explanation and it does seem somewhat reasonable. That said, how about making the "scrum" longer than 45 minutes instead of refusing credentials to the rabid, unpaid mega-fans behind non-traditional media?

I do hope they dangled some nice carrots in return for the snub and look forward to enjoying the results.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 10:50 AM)
Rick Hahn is the voice for the entire organization. Ownership doesn’t give many interviews, so it’s the job of Hahn to speak for the franchise. Because of that, he has to hedge in interviews a bit. He can’t come out and say “Listen, 2018 and 2019 are going to be a mess from a W-L perspective. If you want to see wins, go someplace else.” It’s a marketing disaster.

On top of that, why can’t the plan change? What if the team as currently constructed goes out and wins 82 games with huge seasons from Moncada, Anderson, Giolitio, ect. 2019 is just supposed to be a lost year because it was never part of the plan? Things can change.

It isn't so much the fact that plans can change of course they can but my question in this case would be why? That quote was from September of last year.

You mentioned ownership and that is sort of where I was trying to go with things. I hope he is given the time to do a proper rebuild. In any case I don't want to be alarmist like you said it maybe nothing but he's been making conflicting statements.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)

The problem with Yelich is the same problem we had with Q. He has control but on a rebuilding club that control doesn't mean as much because a good portion of his control won't be part of the Sox window.

And more to the point the Marlins are doing a trade now because they are willing to sacrifice the shortterm for the longterm they were never going to walk away with a package that at first appearance made them worse in the shortterm AND the longterm. For example in 2020 unless the prospects bust the package the Marlins got back will probably be worth much more then three years of cost controlled Yelich.

In any case I don't really want to belabor this any further. I just don't see why it made sense to make some of the trades last year if the plan was to just trade many of the same prospects back and get someone with 1 or 2 years worth of extra control. This whole offseason has been very confusing it went from moving Abreu and Garcia to instead possibly acquiring Machado and/or Yelich.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Throughout this offseason we have had numerous freakouts that the sox were going to take a hit from their rebuild coffers for short-term gains.

Yet none of those moves happened, and all we've done is sign miguel gonzalez and wellington castillo. The best prospect we traded was Jake Peter.

I think at this point I feel safe in saying they are going through with the rebuild. They I'm sure are calling people but at this point, you have to believe more than anything the white sox are a team others are using as leverage in the trade process.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 07:05 AM)
Throughout this offseason we have had numerous freakouts that the sox were going to take a hit from their rebuild coffers for short-term gains.

Yet none of those moves happened, and all we've done is sign miguel gonzalez and wellington castillo. The best prospect we traded was Jake Peter.

I think at this point I feel safe in saying they are going through with the rebuild. They I'm sure are calling people but at this point, you have to believe more than anything the white sox are a team others are using as leverage in the trade process.

I agree. Rick is doing his due diligence , making calls etc maybe hoping to fall into a good deal . You never know maybe some team would be interested in pieces the Sox would be willing to move like Yolmer, Leury Davidson, Willy Garcia, Delmonico or others on the fringe , of which we have plenty.

Getz was very impressive at soxfest. Last year I went in nervous about him, and then he was so new he was speaking hypothetically and I left still kinda nervous.

But this year he was taking almost every question, had specific info on every player he was asked about. He was pretty conservative in comments, the gist is that everyone is working on specific things and that professional baseball is hard, but I was impressed at least from an interview standpoint.

One question I would love to hear asked one of these days is for the guys who are in management... how much studying of players and the system do they do before Soxfest to be ready for fan questions. It would be interesting to hear was Hahn, Hoestetler, Getz, etc had to say about it. I mean I know the system off of the top of their head, but do they all have THAT amount of detail at their finger trips, or are there some guys they have to look up ahead of time?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:59 PM)
One question I would love to hear asked one of these days is for the guys who are in management... how much studying of players and the system do they do before Soxfest to be ready for fan questions. It would be interesting to hear was Hahn, Hoestetler, Getz, etc had to say about it. I mean I know the system off of the top of their head, but do they all have THAT amount of detail at their finger trips, or are there some guys they have to look up ahead of time?

From his reputation I don't think Fabian needs to do any studying.

For reference, Getz was asked about Trey Michalzewski (not even looking up spelling :() and he gave an answer about how they thought it may help to re-engage him on defense by letting him try more 2b and SS, and he reminded him of some Giants player that played better when he was allowed to show more versatility.

Now from the way he talks about Robert it does seem like DSL is far off for them too. I do wonder if organizationally Paddy has more ownership over things like moving up those players to stateside .