Ex-Sox Oscar Gamble has passed away according to Twitter (Heyman)

knightni

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 09:56 AM)
Sad. He hit a lot of homers, hardly ever struck out, and had awesome hair.

I was 15 in 1977 and to this day, it was the best season of baseball in my life.

1972 and 2005 tie for second. After watching Deron Johnson,Bill Melton,Jorge Orta and

Jim Spencer take turns hitting clean up for 2 years, "The SS Hit Men" were just what we

needed.

QUOTE (zisk @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 09:39 AM)
I was 15 in 1977 and to this day, it was the best season of baseball in my life.

1972 and 2005 tie for second. After watching Deron Johnson,Bill Melton,Jorge Orta and

Jim Spencer take turns hitting clean up for 2 years, "The SS Hit Men" were just what we

needed.

I was a few years older and you are right . The Souyh Side Hit Men was a really fun time in Sox history and Gamble and ZisK were at the core of it. RIP OG.

For those of you too young to know here's an article https://www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/ar...uth-side-hitmen

From my interview with Bart Johnson. I asked him if there were any indications in spring training that the Sox were going to have the type of season they did in 1977:

“Not that I can remember but I do think Oscar (Gamble) was a big part of the reason we did so well. He was a professional hitter who had tremendous confidence in himself. I remember a spring game where Oscar came up and got a single. When the inning was over he’s back in the dugout talking, ‘lousy single...I’m a home run hitter!’

“I also remember a time that spring when we were just hammering a pitcher; we were just beating him around. Oscar’s in the dugout telling everyone, ‘easy, easy we want this guy to make the team remember!’ (laughing) Oscar couldn’t wait to face this guy when the season started.”