Reynaldo Lopez

KnightsOnMintSt

Just trying to get some conversation going.

Obviously Reynaldo will be in the rotation for the 2018 season, but going forward with the rebuild, do people generally think he will stay a starter? Or is he destined for a closer role?

The way I look at it is Rodon (assuming he stays healthy), Giolito, and Kopech are all locks for three spots, leaving two spots open.

With the two spots, we currently have Lopez, Hansen, Cease, Dunning, Adams, Fulmer, Stephens, Guerrero. And that doesn't even include all the guys in our Top 30, or any free agent signings.

So lets say 2019 and beyond, do we see Reynaldo Lopez as a starter, or do we see him in the bullpen?

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 08:58 AM)
Just trying to get some conversation going.

Obviously Reynaldo will be in the rotation for the 2018 season, but going forward with the rebuild, do people generally think he will stay a starter? Or is he destined for a closer role?

The way I look at it is Rodon (assuming he stays healthy), Giolito, and Kopech are all locks for three spots, leaving two spots open.

With the two spots, we currently have Lopez, Hansen, Cease, Dunning, Adams, Fulmer, Stephens, Guerrero. And that doesn't even include all the guys in our Top 30, or any free agent signings.

So lets say 2019 and beyond, do we see Reynaldo Lopez as a starter, or do we see him in the bullpen?

Ask me again in 12 to 18 months.

Lopez can be a solid #3 guy if he keeps working on it.

. . .

I don't believe that Rodon is long for the franchise.

Between injuries and his representation, he may be playing somewhere else sooner than later.

. . .

Guys like Fulmer and Cease are set up to be relievers eventually, and Burdi, if and when he gets healthy from TJS, will be given every opportunity to be the closer.

. . .

The future rotation will probably be: (Ace traded for), Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Hansen

I have my doubts that the other SP prospects will stay with the organization except in a relief role.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
Lopez can be a solid #3 guy if he keeps working on it.

. . .

I don't believe that Rodon is long for the franchise.

Between injuries and his representation, he may be playing somewhere else sooner than later.

. . .

Guys like Fulmer and Cease are set up to be relievers eventually, and Burdi, if and when he gets healthy from TJS, will be given every opportunity to be the closer.

. . .

The future rotation will probably be: (Ace traded for), Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Hansen

I have my doubts that the other SP prospects will stay with the organization except in a relief role.

How cool and ironic would it be to sign Sale in 2020?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
How cool and ironic would it be to sign Sale in 2020?

I'd be bummed out if we needed to fork over 150m+ to Sale as that would mean most of the guys below didn't pan out/hit ceilings or exist (Rodon's case).

Rodon/Kopech/Hansen/Gio/Lopez/Dunning/Fulmer/Cease/Adams

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:38 AM)
I'd be bummed out if we needed to fork over 150m+ to Sale as that would mean most of the guys below didn't pan out/hit ceilings or exist (Rodon's case).

Rodon/Kopech/Hansen/Gio/Lopez/Dunning/Fulmer/Cease/Adams

Yeah for sure. I definitely would not be interested in them signing an arm at that amount. A bat, sure (the money it would take anyway).

Edited by soxfan2014

The good news for Lopez (& Giolito) is by being one of the first guys up in the rebuild, he’ll get plenty of time to prove himself before they consider shifting him to a bullpen role. I think he’d really have to stink for someone like Adams or Stephens to take his spot, so he’s probably got until Dunning is ready before his job security might be in jeopardy.

I've got Lopez penciled in as a mid-rotation started for the next half decade.

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Giolito

4. Lopez

5. Hansen

With guys like Cease, Dunning, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Clarkin, Viera, Bummer filling out the pen.

I could see Dunning in the startwe mix if one of those guys fail, or get traded.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah I don't get it either. Even if Rodon never improves from what he is right now, I'd still much rather have a 3.95 ERA SP than a dominant lefty out of the pen.

And he's flashed enough dominance to make one believe the ace ceiling is still there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 12:51 PM)
There isn't a pitching staff that exists that couldn't use Chris Sale.

True, but the Sox are not the Cubs/Dogers/Yankees who can have a 300m payroll without batting an eye so I'd rather that money get spread out to a couple people than needing to do it because we don't have an ace

I'm extremely high on Lopez, and think he's the best SP prospect in the system (MLB included) outside of Kopech. I think his stuff is absolutely electric, and I think that his low K-rate last season was a result of him learning to use his change/two-seamer as an out-pitch as opposed to simply relying on his velocity. I was encouraged by the fact that his walk rate was entirely reasonable and much lower than it was with the Nationals as we was figuring this out.

I think he simply needs reps with this approach, and that he's a step forward in command away from being a 2/3 that absolutely dominates on occasion. I know I'm probably the high guy on him, but I have more hope for Lopez than almost anyone else in the system right now.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 01:56 PM)
Just be sure you have a replacement for September and October.

Oh now this is good! Unfortunately for us...now Boston...it's very true... Of course he's only had 1 shot at the post season but he's starting to carry that first-half hero tag. If he helps get his team into the playoffs, he'll likely help get them out of the playoffs as well...

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah I don't get it either. Even if Rodon never improves from what he is right now, I'd still much rather have a 3.95 ERA SP than a dominant lefty out of the pen.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 01:29 PM)
And he's flashed enough dominance to make one believe the ace ceiling is still there.

Nobody knows what his stuff will be like after the shoulder surgery. Even though, per all reports, there was no structural damage, shoulders are weird and he could come out in July/August throwing 91 and his slider might not have the bite it used to, or it could have no effect on his stuff. Until he's on the mound with the Sox, we just won't know.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 02:35 PM)
Nobody knows what his stuff will be like after the shoulder surgery. Even though, per all reports, there was no structural damage, shoulders are weird and he could come out in July/August throwing 91 and his slider might not have the bite it used to, or it could have no effect on his stuff. Until he's on the mound with the Sox, we just won't know.

That's true but none of it means we should move him to the pen right now.