Yolmer wins arbitration hearing

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 11:46 PM)
White Sox have their first arb hearing since Keith Foulke in 2001, and lose. Yolmer will receive a $2.35 million salary in 2018. The Sox had asked for $2.1 million

Avi's session is still to come if they can't settle. He has asked for $6.7 million, the Sox countered at $5.85 million.

I should probably quit getting so worked up over my perceived slights of Avi. Even if he loses he gets $5.85 mill this year. If he can't live off one year's salary the rest of his life (even after taxes and agent fees) he's screwing up somewhere. He's a rich, rich man for life.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 07:08 PM)
I should probably quit getting so worked up over my perceived slights of Avi. Even if he loses he gets $5.85 mill this year. If he can't live off one year's salary the rest of his life (even after taxes and agent fees) he's screwing up somewhere. He's a rich, rich man for life.

After taxes, agent, and union fees, he'll be lucky to clear $3 million, that's being generous. At his age of 27, $100k a year would only take him to age 57. Long time sportswriters make more than that yearly. He's also from a country in maybe the worst financial disasters in the world, so he probably has to help some people out, and right fully so.

If he can live off that for the rest of his life, it's amazing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:20 AM)
After taxes, agent, and union fees, he'll be lucky to clear $3 million, that's being generous. At his age of 27, $100k a year would only take him to age 57. Long time sportswriters make more than that yearly. He's also from a country in maybe the worst financial disasters in the world, so he probably has to help some people out, and right fully so.

I think if you dumped 5 million dollars into any one of our laps tomorrow for a one year salary we'd make it last the rest of our lives. There could be extenuating circumstances such as if we didn't have insurance and something horrible happened to us and drained all our money.

Now your last sentence is interesting if he's trying to support many many others. I'm just saying complaining about things regarding Avi and players like him may be misguided by me since he's rolling in money and set for life, at least in my opinion set for life.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 05:20 PM)

At 1% interest, he’d make $30k on $3m annually.

If he invested well, he’d make $200k plus on $3m annually.

The wonders of compounded interest would make him a fairly wealthy man, if he was conservative.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 07:24 PM)
I think if you dumped 5 million dollars into any one of our laps tomorrow for a one year salary we'd make it last the rest of our lives. There could be extenuating circumstances such as if we didn't have insurance and something horrible happened to us and drained all our money.

Now your last sentence is interesting if he's trying to support many many others. I'm just saying complaining about things regarding Avi and players like him may be misguided by me since he's rolling in money and set for life, at least in my opinion set for life.

Do you realize how much of that $5.85 mil will go into tax and agent fees? He's probably pocketing at max $3.5 mil after all deductions. Even if he lives the most modest lifestyle for a pro athlete, that will hardly last him for than 20 years, not counting inflation.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 06:32 PM)
Do you realize how much of that $5.85 mil will go into tax and agent fees? He's probably pocketing at max $3.5 mil after all deductions. Even if he lives the most modest lifestyle for a pro athlete, that will hardly last him for than 20 years, not counting inflation.

You guys are assuming he keeps his $3m in a checking account ;)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 07:08 PM)

These guys have every right to get as much money as they can each year. It's not exactly like football players who could suffer a career ending injury at any time, but there are still risks. Plus, if a guy like Avi loses arbitration and ends up tanking, his chances of getting paid afterwards go down. That extra million could make a difference.

Look, I get the thought process of "give me $5.85 million and I'd be happier than s***." And like all other professional sports, they are all overpaid. But that doesn't matter. We can't compare what we get paid vs. what they get paid. The players look at what other players are getting paid and base what they expect on that. Teams pay out $80, $100, $200 million a year, and these guys are looking to get their cut.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 06:06 AM)
These guys have every right to get as much money as they can each year. It's not exactly like football players who could suffer a career ending injury at any time, but there are still risks. Plus, if a guy like Avi loses arbitration and ends up tanking, his chances of getting paid afterwards go down. That extra million could make a difference.

Look, I get the thought process of "give me $5.85 million and I'd be happier than s***." And like all other professional sports, they are all overpaid. But that doesn't matter. We can't compare what we get paid vs. what they get paid. The players look at what other players are getting paid and base what they expect on that. Teams pay out $80, $100, $200 million a year, and these guys are looking to get their cut.

It is just like any industry. No one is going to be happy to be making a fraction of what their co-worker does.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 08:31 PM)
At 1% interest, he’d make $30k on $3m annually.

If he invested well, he’d make $200k plus on $3m annually.

The wonders of compounded interest would make him a fairly wealthy man, if he was conservative.

Or he can just fill up garages after garage with Teslas!

This seems stupid and short-sighted to me. From what I understand, the relationship between player and front office is (unsurprisingly) nearly always strained after going through these hearings, as the player has to sit there and listen to the front office's lawyer try to convince a judge that the player isn't worth what he wants. When the numbers are substantial like in Avi's case, I can see it. But there's no way that's worth a hundred grand.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the White Sox have instituted and communicated some sort of "no exceptions" policy when players don't accept their offers so as to make it seem more impartial when they refuse to negotiate and/or to dissuade players/agents from offering aggressively with thie intent of negotiating a deal that squeezes some extra money out. Maybe this makes sense in the long run, but it sure looks dumb in this isolated case.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
This seems stupid and short-sighted to me. From what I understand, the relationship between player and front office is (unsurprisingly) nearly always strained after going through these hearings, as the player has to sit there and listen to the front office's lawyer try to convince a judge that the player isn't worth what he wants. When the numbers are substantial like in Avi's case, I can see it. But there's no way that's worth a hundred grand.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the White Sox have instituted and communicated some sort of "no exceptions" policy when players don't accept their offers so as to make it seem more impartial when they refuse to negotiate and/or to dissuade players/agents from offering aggressively with thie intent of negotiating a deal that squeezes some extra money out. Maybe this makes sense in the long run, but it sure looks dumb in this isolated case.

damn bro you ninja'd that on me! Thanks for your input on the Yolmer case. It seems odd at first glance.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 01:28 PM)
damn bro you ninja'd that on me! Thanks for your input on the Yolmer case. It seems odd at first glance.

Yeah, just speculation, but I have read that some front offices have this sort of policy. I really just can't imagine any other benefit. I mean, the extra lawyer costs for preparing and running the hearing probably eat up a big chunk of that difference.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
Maybe I have to remember my SSS account and ask larry but can anybody (SS2K? Balta?) answer why the Sox went to arb with Yolmer over 250k? That just does not seem like the Sox. Are they setting precedent for all the prospects coming through that will be arb eligible in 3-5 years?

I have absolutely no idea and you're 100% right this is totally out of character for the White Sox. All the reasons given in the post before this are correct and it's why the Sox have said in the past that they don't like these hearings and prefer to settle. I'm as befuddled as you.