Dave Duncan joins White Sox pitching staff

bmags

I can't find a link to the release, but this looks pretty great. He is going to have eyes on our prospects too, so he'll be watching video and keeping in contact with guys coming up.

If you don't know who duncan is, man, this is now two of maybe the best 5 pitching coaches now on the sox in some role.

For the non-tweeters:

Scott Merkin

Verified account

@scottmerkin

3m3 minutes ago

More

Duncan’s responsibilities in his new role include reviewing and evaluating video of pitchers and pitching prospects, in addition to providing feedback and expertise to various members throughout the Sox organization per team

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:11 PM)
Am I wrong or wasnt there some beef between Duncan and Hawk a few years back?

I'm pretty sure he is the reason Hawk fired LaRussa. Hawk wasn't a big fan, and I do seem to recall something later on, but can't quite remember.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm pretty sure he is the reason Hawk fired LaRussa. Hawk wasn't a big fan, and I do seem to recall something later on, but can't quite remember.

I think it had something to do with that 2006 series when the Sox destroyed them before the break. I think Larussa and Duncan accused the Sox of stealing signals or something and Hawk said something

Great resource to have around the team. He had the same job w Diamondbacks so living in Missouri might have been a factor in his switching to the Sox. Coop will be plenty busy working w the kids on the ML staff so this can be a resource working with the kids in AA/AAA. With all the modern technology, he can probably work from home and via video chat for some of the year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:49 PM)
I think it had something to do with that 2006 series when the Sox destroyed them before the break. I think Larussa and Duncan accused the Sox of stealing signals or something and Hawk said something

That was one of my favorite series ever. From the 20 run explosion to start, and it ended with Anthony Reyes throwing a perfect game, except for one pitch to Thome and took the L.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 09:54 PM)
That was one of my favorite series ever. From the 20 run explosion to start, and it ended with Anthony Reyes throwing a perfect game, except for one pitch to Thome and took the L.

That was when the 2006 team was playing better than any Sox team I've ever seen. That 1-0 game was awesome with Jenks throwing like 200 mph

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 03:11 PM)
Am I wrong or wasnt there some beef between Duncan and Hawk a few years back?

If I’m not mistaken, the trouble between Duncan and Hawk began way back in 1986, the year of Hawk’s infamous term as general manager. The Sox had a highly regarded prospect back then by the name of Edwin Correa, whom Hawk wanted to trade to Texas for a few pieces he felt necessary for that ‘86 team to compete. Apparently Duncan was very high on Correa and pleaded with Hawk not to trade him, but he did anyway. I think that coupled with all of the other friction going on between Hawk and LaRussa contributed to bad blood between Duncan and Hawk. Oh, and Hawk also layered Don Drysdale over Duncan in some exalted executive role over all pitching matters in the organization, so I’m sure that probably didn’t help matters much.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 05:53 PM)
If I’m not mistaken, the trouble between Duncan and Hawk began way back in 1986, the year of Hawk’s infamous term as general manager. The Sox had a highly regarded prospect back then by the name of Edwin Correa, whom Hawk wanted to trade to Texas for a few pieces he felt necessary for that ‘86 team to compete. Apparently Duncan was very high on Correa and pleaded with Hawk not to trade him, but he did anyway. I think that coupled with all of the other friction going on between Hawk and LaRussa contributed to bad blood between Duncan and Hawk. Oh, and Hawk also layered Don Drysdale over Duncan in some exalted executive role over all pitching matters in the organization, so I’m sure that probably didn’t help matters much.

This is the part I remember. I started work with the Brewers the the next year. It was all over the gossip mills.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 06:44 PM)
I sat about 14 rows up from the Sox dugout that game. I’ll always remember Reyes and his high socks.

f*** that 2006 team. They had everything they needed to repeat.

Except the stamina