Moustakas linked to Sox again

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
They took on >$20 million a year to pick up a top of the league pitcher.

I don't care how the White Sox do it. There's nothing wrong with doing so in a trade. If the Angels want to make Mike Trout available am I going to be mad that we had to trade for the player that put us over the top rather than signing a free agent? God no.

The Sox can make their call about what guy fits them best after they play this season, but this piddling "Mike Moustakas/Todd Frazier/Jeff Samardzija is good enough!" thinking is what we needed to throw in the trash after 2015. We know how this game works out.

You would have a problem with the White Sox trading for Trout once you saw what it cost them in prospects.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:12 PM)
Machado certainly will have an opt out or 2 in his deal.

That’s actually a great point for all the Machado advocates. What if he demands an opt out clause after year 3 (2021)? That’s the exact time in which the Sox contention window should be starting to peak, theoretically at least.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:18 PM)
That’s actually a great point for all the Machado advocates. What if he demands an opt out clause after year 3 (2021)? That’s the exact time in which the Sox contention window should be starting to peak, theoretically at least.

I'm totally ok with that. If he opts out then we suddenly have money to spend and who knows if our needs will be the same thing at that point? And if we've already won the 2020 world series like we should, then we'll have done our job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm totally ok with that. If he opts out then we suddenly have money to spend and who knows if our needs will be the same thing at that point? And if we've already won the 2020 world series like we should, then we'll have done our job.

You’re far too optimistic on the 2020 thing imo and having that type of high paying player with an opt out at the start of the contention window is yet another variable that makes roster planning that much more difficult.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
You’re far too optimistic on the 2020 thing imo and having that type of high paying player with an opt out at the start of the contention window is yet another variable that makes roster planning that much more difficult.

If you're worried about having Machado with an opt-out in 2021 and that might hurt our 2022 world series chances in a thread about how we should sign Mike Moustakas now when he'll be 33 that year...well I think that basically is my point.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)

Yes. If they sign Machado, they better be able to compete right away. Personally reading that he grew up dreaming of the Yankees andhe can go enter a line up the Yankees can put together,, and the Yankees don’t have a history of being outbid, I don’t see a lot of hope he will sign with a team that maybe wins 75 games in 2018. But there is a chance. He would probably demand to play SS. Unless he is just awful there this season, that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. But the more you hear, the more remote the Sox chances seem, even if they are willing to pony up the cash.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:37 PM)
Yes. If they sign Machado, they better be able to compete right away. Personally reading that he grew up dreaming of the Yankees andhe can go enter a line up the Yankees can put together,, and the Yankees don’t have a history of being outbid, I don’t see a lot of hope he will sign with a team that maybe wins 75 games in 2018. But there is a chance. He would probably demand to play SS. Unless he is just awful there this season, that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. But the more you hear, the more remote the Sox chances seem, even if they are willing to pony up the cash.

If this team isn't a legit wild card contender in 2019 then Rick Hahn seriously failed in his player evaluation and player development.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:32 PM)
If you're worried about having Machado with an opt-out in 2021 and that might hurt our 2022 world series chances in a thread about how we should sign Mike Moustakas now when he'll be 33 that year...well I think that basically is my point.

Big difference. The money you pointed out would be available if Machado opted out, would stil be available. As would the money you would have paid him if he signed elsewhere to begin with.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:28 PM)
Very relevant. Does he fit the rebuild if he opts out after 2 years?

You are literally grasping at straws here. Machado won’t get an opt-out after two years if he signs a 10 year deal like expected. Maybe after three years, hopefully after four. Regardless, Manny Machado getting an opt-out three or four into our competive window is fine if that’s what it takes to land him. Giving Mike Moustakas an opt-out is beyond idiotic. I can’t believe you’re still arguing for this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:40 PM)
You are literally grasping at straws here. Machado won’t get an opt-out after two years if he signs a 10 year deal like expected. Maybe after three years, hopefully after four. Regardless, Manny Machado getting an opt-out three or four into our competive window is fine if that’s what it takes to land him. Giving Mike Moustakas an opt-out is beyond idiotic. I can’t believe you’re still arguing for this.

I am not arguing a Moustakas opt out. Just pointing out Machado will get an opt out or two or three if he signs for 10 years. You wanted the Sox to sign JD Martinez. He has an opt out after year 2. It wouldn’t surprise me if Machado got one after 2 years. That would be about peak career time, and a great time to cash in even more. If opt outs before or during winning windows is a problem, they are going to have a tough time giving away their money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:45 PM)
I am not arguing a Moustakas opt out. Just pointing out Machado will get an opt out or two or three if he signs for 10 years. You wanted the Sox to sign JD Martinez. He has an opt out after year 2. It wouldn’t surprise me if Machado got one after 2 years. That would be about peak career time, and a great time to cash in even more.

I will say that in a 10 year deal I would not do a 2 year opt out for Machado. That would probably be my 1 red line. I need that 3rd year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:46 PM)
I will say that in a 10 year deal I would not do a 2 year opt out for Machado. That would probably be my 1 red line. I need that 3rd year.

I don’t think any team gives him an opt-out after two years. Need to get at least three guaranteed years to take on that much downside risk.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:51 PM)
I don’t think any team gives him an opt-out after two years. Need to get at least three guaranteed years to take on that much downside risk.

It is possible, but you do get him for what should be 2 of his most productive years, and as we all know, these really long contracts normally look horrible at the end, so if he leaves you avoid that. For teams that are WS ready, it is a perk you might hand out.

Probably if it is a 10 year contract the first one would be after year 3, but if it is for 7 or 8 the more likely it is after year 2.Heyward got one after year 3, and has another after year 4 based on PA. Machado is in a different class.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 02:54 PM)
It is possible, but you do get him for what should be 2 of his most productive years, and as we all know, these really long contracts normally look horrible at the end, so if he leaves you avoid that. For teams that are WS ready, it is a perk you might hand out.

But given the small chance he pulls a Heyward I think teams are going to want three years minimum in exchange for guaranteeing him 10 at a near record rate. I just don’t see it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
But given the small chance he pulls a Heyward I think teams are going to want three years minimum in exchange for guaranteeing him 10 at a near record rate. I just don’t see it.

All it takes is one team. If you are the Yankees, and know the guy grew up a huge Yankees fan and has always wanted to play for you, and know the chances of him leaving you are more likely smaller than other teams, if that got the deal done, I am pretty sure they do it.

Some teams may use the logic Balta used and say if he leaves we can redirect that money elsewhere. Who knows, maybe even the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 05:07 PM)
All it takes is one team. If you are the Yankees, and know the guy grew up a huge Yankees fan and has always wanted to play for you, and know the chances of him leaving you are more likely smaller than other teams, if that got the deal done, I am pretty sure they do it.

Some teams may use the logic Balta used and say if he leaves we can redirect that money elsewhere. Who knows, maybe even the White Sox.

The same logic applies the other way though; if you only have him for 2 years, that leaves you a 2 year window to win your title, and there are going to be other teams that are a force during those years like the White Sox. That logic will hit even the Yankees.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:17 PM)
The same logic applies the other way though; if you only have him for 2 years, that leaves you a 2 year window to win your title, and there are going to be other teams that are a force during those years like the White Sox. That logic will hit even the Yankees.

I’m convinced you’re trying to jinx us with this unfiltered confidence.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 04:07 PM)

I would bet Derek Jeter will offer him the world. Now if he is a huge Yankee fan and a SS wannabee, Jeter was probably his hero. Jeter sells him the native son coming home and he goes Marlins instead of Yankees. Now if winning is his ultimate, then Yankees might win out. Hopefully he goes back and forth between them and instead says White Sox.

FWIW--He has had good success at Yankee stadium.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 05:41 PM)
I’m convinced you’re trying to jinx us with this unfiltered confidence.

I'm so not used to being confident about the White Sox's chances that I'm really, really enjoying the idea of this 2020 team.