What's going on at catcher?

Jake

I've been puzzled about the Wellington Castillo signing from the start. It's not that there's anything wrong with him, but given how young of a team we have and how relatively strong the catcher position was last year, I didn't really get it. But that's not what this is about.

Who is our backup catcher? Narvaez was a better hitter last year and seems to be a clearly better defender. Smith seems to have more upside but is older and has more downside, as evidenced by his being a worse player last season. But I get the feeling that the Sox aren't high on Narvaez. He does have the lefty matchup advantage. I don't think either player stands to benefit from more time AAA nor could you justify carrying any of them as a DH/1B/anything like that.

So...who will it be? What happens to the loser?

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 04:39 PM)
I've been puzzled about the Wellington Castillo signing from the start. It's not that there's anything wrong with him, but given how young of a team we have and how relatively strong the catcher position was last year, I didn't really get it. But that's not what this is about.

Who is our backup catcher? Narvaez was a better hitter last year and seems to be a clearly better defender. Smith seems to have more upside but is older and has more downside, as evidenced by his being a worse player last season. But I get the feeling that the Sox aren't high on Narvaez. He does have the lefty matchup advantage. I don't think either player stands to benefit from more time AAA nor could you justify carrying any of them as a DH/1B/anything like that.

So...who will it be? What happens to the loser?

We also went through a lot of catcher injuries last year.

They both have options left, so the Sox won't lose either of them unless they flay out release them, which I don't see happening due to the lack of depth at catcher. I think it's going to come down to whoever has the better spring. I'd be surprised if the Sox view either of them as having a role on the team within the next few years.

If it were me, I'd definitely keep Narvaez. Thanks to the poster who mentioned they have options, for some reason I was thinking they didn't. I wouldn't put a ton of money on Narvaez being better than Kevan Smith in the long term, but if I have to pick one I'm picking Narvaez. The way I see it, Narvaez has pretty limited upside in that I don't see any potential for even below average power. But his downside is limited, too. I have to think there are 20-25 MLB teams that will always have a place for a guy like him.

Smith has to tap into his power or else his other warts will be too much of a problem long term...and at this point he's 29 and hardly younger than the veteran we just signed. Just watching last season, though, the playing time he got made me think the Sox might have preferred him to Narvaez.