Who gets promoted first?

KnightsOnMintSt

Just trying to get some threads started since there are not a lot of new ones.

Eloy or Kopech? Obviously Kopech will start in AAA, with Eloy in AA, but I could very well see a situation where Eloy just mashes to the point that hey're forced to call him up very early in the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 10:38 AM)
If we are talking about all of the system, my pick would be either Cordell or RP.

My bad I didn't see OP's second part, def Kopech out of those 2. But overall yea Cordell has to be first man up if Nicky or Engel have a dismal April/May.

I think the answer to that question is whoever we are least comfortable with in the majors right now, and who is viable at AAA.

I think Engel could quickly become Jacob May of last year. May earned his shot in ST last year with a track record that really didn't back it up entirely. Engel is a better version of May, but he's constantly tweaking his swing. A bad start probably leads to another tweak and another. I can see him fail out of the gates and unlike last year we have a number of guys knocking at the door including Cordell and Tilson. So agree on Tilson.

Also probably the Vegas money goes on a bullpen guy. Just always some arm tweaks leading to a call-up. I'll go with Scahill just for fun. Had a nice spring even if he wasn't a last cut.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
Cordell in April

Kopech in May

Jimenez in July

Kopech in May?!!? Wow. I'm fully not expecting him until late June.

I think when Fulmer fails, and that's my guess -- is that they'll let him go for 8-12 starts. They'll then turn to Hector Santiago to fill in for a bit as necessary. Rodon comes back sooner too.

I think Kopech gets called up if he's destroying AAA or when it's finally time to cut bait with Shields or Miggy. Until then I see them filling out the rotation with Lopez and Fulmer until they absolutely have to make a change.

I don't think Kopech and Jimenez are as close to being called up as some.

Minimum, I want Kopech to pitch three months in Charlotte.

Eloy, just let the 21 year old play at Birmingham for 4 months, and see what's the deal on August 1st.

Agree about Cordell though. Could be Matt Skole if Abreu got hurt.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 09:08 PM)
Is ANYONE concerned about Kopech's command issues at this point?

His stuff is terrifying, but if he can't command it at an elite status it will be tough to reach his lofty potential.

Control is #1 on the list for biggest red flags for Kopech, followed by #2 which is health. He did a great job of staying healthy last year, so that is nice, as well as really improving his control as the season went on.

Control is obviously worrisome for Kopech but he has demonstrated command at times. I want him in the big leagues as soon as possible so he can be working with Coop on a day-to-day basis. Pitcher development is the one area in which this organization has demonstrated its consistently capabilities.

I think the general trend of "Cordell before Kopech" is right on the money though.