Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Seriously? The North Siders have made the playoffs 4 consecutive years and have won a World Series. I won't be complaining if the Sox rebuild equals that. 

Also, it is only July 3. Still a lot of baseball left to be played and Theo may empty the farm for some impact talent in a few weeks. 

I think he means have a sustained 7 year run of dominance. The Cubs had a great three years of playoff success thus far. Last year, I don't count them as a playoff team as they didn't play a series. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I would be happy with that too, but.....I think with the amount of hype the rebuilds on  both sides of town have had, anything less than 2 WS titles is a disappointment. 

Baseball is an unpredictable game. The Dodgers have had payrolls well north of 200 million dollars for the last 5 years and what do they have to show for it?

The Sox have still never made the playoffs in consectutive years. You gotta crawl before you do wind sprints.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have a hard time calling anybody a 6+ true talent player.  For Moncada what would that look like?  Probably about what it does now except with another 20 points of OBP and slugging so something like a 300/370/550 line and then a win of value at 3rd defensively and maybe another half on the bases.  So about 6 with the bat and then 1.5 with defense and baserunning.

He can do it but I don't think that's his true talent level, at least not right now.  Maybe when he's 26-29.

Hes literally on pace for 6 WAR right now so this is what it looks like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Baseball is an unpredictable game. The Dodgers have had payrolls well north of 200 million dollars for the last 5 years and what do they have to show for it?

The Sox have still never made the playoffs in consectutive years. You gotta crawl before you do wind sprints.. 

A .583 winning percentage, 5 straight division titles and 2 pennants

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The op by Jack was 6-8.  There are about a dozen position players at that level and moncada is not one of them -- yet.

You said he had to make all these improvements but even if he made zero improvements after this year (assuming he duplicates his first half production) this is a 6 WAR player.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yet is the key word. He's just been getting better all season. 

Well said.  Don't think we have seen a player improve so much in season lately.  His approach at the dish has improved immensely as has his play at 3rd.

@Look at Ray Ray Run I don't disagree.  I ain't arguing.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well said.  Don't think we have seen a player improve so much in season lately.  His approach at the dish has improved immensely as has his play at 3rd.

Yeah I think you misunderstood. I think he's going to put up 6 wins this year and then explode in 2020. He's already a plus defender at 3B, he's exceeding everyone's wildest dreams based on 2017-18. 

So many people nationally wrote him off and they are missing the birth of a superstar. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@Look at Ray Ray Run I don't disagree.  I ain't arguing.

I agree...Gio has done the same thing in the pitching department.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

.897 OPS, 136 wRC+, 3.0 fWAR.

Bust

And according to Statcast he’s producing exactly as he should be based the on his quality of contact.  That being said, his BB rate will continue to improve with time which will only improve his numbers.  I’d give anything to be able to extend this offseason.

Moncada (and Robert, too) are certainly going to be looking at huge paydays in order to sign extensions cutting into their free agency years with all that money in the bank for their families already.

This is where Hahn will earn his money (or not).  

Anderson has turned out to be another solid extension...Jimenez, although he might not appear to be the biggest bargain in the world by fwar/bwar until or unless his defense can be close to average.

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The crazy thing is that Moncada is 19th on the OPS list for 26 and under players....and that #21-30 group might easily be the equal of #1-5.

So much young talent in the game.

And we have a lot of it.

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I would be happy with that too, but.....I think with the amount of hype the rebuilds on  both sides of town have had, anything less than 2 WS titles is a disappointment. 

The biggest thing to make that happen is that the Sox have to have better self-scouting than the Cubs did. The Cubs traded the wrong guys. The Sox have to trade the right ones. 

This is such a weird take. 

19 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The biggest thing to make that happen is that the Sox have to have better self-scouting than the Cubs did. The Cubs traded the wrong guys. The Sox have to trade the right ones. 

As badly as I want them to win world series after world series, I yearn for the days of watching competitive meaningful baseball. Give me a good entertaining division race all season long. We haven't had that since what, 2012?

• Like 2